RkyMtnHigh

Do you get an annual flu shot?

For me it is a necessity. I work in the ER...both "fast track" and "peds"....peds is like a giant germ factory. I have seen first hand what people look like when they get the flu - yuck! I don't want that crap. Some people have a tendancy to forget their manners in the emergency department and they cough right in your face - kids just don't know any better most of the time.

Some people may find that it isn't for them - especially if they have a profession where there risk of exposure is minimal. I am sure that if I wasn't in healthcare I may not do it - depending on what my other profession may entail. Influenza kills people annually - usually they are immunocompromised in some way......but you always hear that pandemic flu will rear its ugly little head again some day....and since I will be taking care of those people I would want to be as protected as I can be. Will it actually occur? Who knows.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I get one every year. I also make sure my son & daughter gets theirs' too! My mom is in her 80s, we see her few times a week.....last thing I want to do is get her sick(we almost lost her few months ago)....so any prevention we could take/make, would be good!
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Ever wonder why people get sick with the flu during the winter months? Ever think it could be because of your food intake?

What happens when we ingest carbohydrates? Our bodies produce insulin, to store energy for immediate use by our brain. However, too many carbs, and the rest is immediately converted to fat. What happens during the winter months? We burn more fuel to stay warm. Therefore, we eat more carbohydrates, and not enough fat, and protein. That is why we gain a few pounds over the holidays, and also why we get sick more often in the winter months.

When the body ingests protein, a hormone is released called glucogon. Unlike insulin, which tells the body to store energy, glucogon tells the cells to release energy. A careful balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, will allow the body to use it's largest source of fuel...body fat.

Why does this tie into this topic?

Ever here of eicosanoids? Doubt it. The body produces them very discretely, and once they do their job, they vanish. In fact, eicosanoids weren't really even discovered until 20-30 years ago. They are however, what regulate your entire body. They control blood clotting, your immune system, pain receptors, vasodilation vs vasoconstriction, etc.

They control your body, and your overall health.

What happens when too much insulin is produced, due to too many carbs ingested? Insulin promotes the building of bad eicosanoids. These eicosanoids clot your blood, depress your immune system, increase your sensitivity to pain, and so on.

On the other hand, glucogon promotes the production of good eicosanoids. These promote blood thinning, vasodilation (expansion of your blood vessels to improve blood flow), decreased pain sensitivity, and anti-inflammatory.

You need a balance of good and bad eicosanoids. A high-carbohydrate diet is actually harmful to your health, as it produces an abundance of bad eicosanoids. What happens to the winter months? Carbs, carbs, carbs! We put on weight, and we get sicker.

Each person must make an effort to balance their intake. Right now a person eats around 80% carbs, 10% protein, and 10% fat. Doesn't seem very balanced huh? I eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I eat meats, nuts, vegatables, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. I have dropped from 30% BF - 15%, and still dropping. My waist size has changed from 36 - 30. My lean body mass has increased. I get sick maybe once a year at the most, and I rebound very quickly, usually within a day. Why? I eat a Zone favorable diet, and my eicosanoid level is balanced. My energy for working out, and day to day activities comes from stored body fat, not carbs.

Sorry for this long post. I'm not trying to sell anything. All I ask is that you take the time, read up on the Zone diet, and perhaps even buy the book, "Enter the Zone" by Barry Sears.

No, it's not the cold, or an overabundance of viruses in the winter. It's your own depressed immune system due to carbohydrate overloading in the winter.

Now, with all that said, I'm going to go get a milkshake! Gonna balance it out with some protein and fat however, to keep that ratio.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I got a flu shot once, and afterwards researched what it was. Since then, I've never gotten another one. Here's why:

1. My immune system needs practice. Right now, I have the flu - it sucks, but it'll help boost my immune system against the really nasty strains later in the year, when it's freezing cold in Colorado.

2. The flu shot can be effective if you get lucky. Or rather, if the CDC gets lucky. They choose three strains every year that they think will be most widespread, but they are frequently wrong. When they put in an attenuated vaccine against those three strains, if any of the dozens of others becomes popular that year, you're screwed. A typical year they might get one out of three right.

3. Multi-vaccinations are a hard hit to your immune system. For your body to fight off three attenuated viruses is a lot of work, and some people get sick after the shot!

I personally believe that if you eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies (>75%), and you get 30 minutes of exercise each day, your immune system will be prepared for nearly any virus. Why am I sick? I've been eating garbage and not exercising.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I get the flu shot every year. I get it free from my HMO. I'm in one of those "high risk" groups though. Especially when I'm on chemo. I have a whacked out, over active immune system. I try to avoid being sick at all cost. When I get sick, my immune system revs up and attacks not only the flu bug but me too. :( Flu shot is pretty important to me.

I used to get one because my work required us to do it. I worked at a dental lab. everybody's saliva and goobers on impressions, some HIV positive, you should have seen some of the gross stuff that came in to pour to make models with. EWWW anyway that was the only time I did it. now, I am of the opinion, I need to know if I can fight it off myself or if I need help to prevent it that is telling me I am lacking a vitaman somewhere, or I am starting to lack that ability. then I may get a flu shot but not until I get some kind of proof that I really need it.-Imho- thats how it should be, that way the people who are weak to fight it get it and ya dont run out.-Caress:)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

I can see the point that the people with a lower tollerance of the immune system might be helped or proteceted.

just saying that its not for me.

That is certainly your choice, and not an unreasonable one. But your first post also talked about your opinion that it is only to make $ for the drug companies. Now I am NOT a big advocate of the drug companies, but when you can get a flu shot at Costco for $10, I don't think this is a blockbuster deal for the manufacturers.

:)
I'll tell you what I was thinking for my 1st post about money stuff.
Ya $10 doesnt sound like a lot or unreasonable comming out of a person's pocket for what it is suppost to do. But what about globaly?
I guess I was more thinking of the 1 billion dollars generated in 2006 in sales and 2007 was projected to double. (-no idea what this year is doing, but doubt it declined).
Due to all the companies/suppliers, and not only in the US, who make this stuff to sell as "the strain that should be the one" since it changes, and old supply is no longer usable, or complications set in and now a big supplier is not able to meet specific guidlines or deadlines.....then a bidding war takes place... there then becomes limited supply for high demand.
Now I dont know what a dose sells for from these companies/suppliers, but in selling millions of doeses...especially as a high demand .... I imagin someone makes some bucks when that happens. why else would so much marketing be needed and who is it doing the marketing....
Is what I was thinking.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/drugs/2004-11-16-flu-vaccine-shortage_x.htm
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

Funny, I just returned to my desk after having received my (mandatory, US Govt. Property) annual flu shot.

In 1976, I was a student of the swine flu shot while mandatory for US Gov't property. It lit me up with the swine flu. I was medevaced to the base hospital in Germany with 105 degree temp. four ice baths later (now that's a real treat while you've got a fever - you can get really strong while 5 or 6 guys are trying to shove you in an ice bath).

Fast forward to Desert Storm. Nurse (Major) is going to give me a shot and I ask, "What is that?" "It's a flu shot." "You're not giving me that. "I'm a Major and you'll take what I tell you to take." "Yeah, well, I'm a Master Sergeant and you're not giving me that."

Doctor (Colonel) hears the feud and comes over to ask what the problem is... I tell him about the swine flu shot and I ain't taking any more flu shots. He tells the Major Nurse, "Don't give him the shot" and she walks off in a huff. As it turns out, he was in Germany, at the base hospital I was in and remembers the four of us that had a reaction to the flu shot. Small world.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Roo,

I hate getting shots!! I come close to passing out every time I get one. So when it comes to the flu shot normally I say no fucking way.

That being said, some of the Docs at work are saying that they are already seeing flu strains that this years years shot would help prevent. I am starting to think about getting one.

The only thing I hate worse than getting a shot is getting sick... B|B|B|

Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Hey Beth, um I mean Cindy..;)

I think I am coming down with the flu will you check my temp???:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

shall we do that rectally:o:o:o
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Every year since turning forty, on my dad's advice. Some years the shot has kicked my butt with what I call "flu lite", mostly being achey and out of sorts. But most years no after effects at all.

The upshot is that I haven't been home with a puking, pounding headache sickness in all those years.

Every year someone goes missing at work for a whole week and returns with a horror story about blowing it out both ends and a headache that made them wish they could die. So I suggest that maybe next year they should get a flu shot, and they tell me, "Oh, I NEVER get a flu shot !".

All I can say is, "Apparently not...".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Who do you dive for?
I have a friend that is a diving supervisor for Global.

im with Triton for the past 2 years now. this is my second go around with Triton first time with them i worked with for about a year and a half around 01-02. been diving commercial since 98 have dove for just about every dive co. down here at one point or another. i got a few bros that are ex global hands they make some pretty good divers.

who is your bud at Global??
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell