monkycndo

Cell service on a PDA/mini tablet, need help

OK cell techie gurus. Need some help.

For work, I need to enter a daily report on a web based application. I currently have to do it from my jobsite trailer on a hard wired PC. So I don't have to be tethered to my office, we are trying to find a PDA or mini tablet that I can access the website by cell connection. WiFi is not available. The site uses java script so the device must support that. I also have to enter a lot of text, so a keyboard that is large enough for my stubby fingers is a high priority. A touch screen would be a pain, but if that is the only route, it would not be a deal breaker. The iPhone works, but navigating the site and typing was a chore. I have looked at several Blackberry models, but have had difficulty getting them to handle the javascript and the keyboards are tiny. I know there are bluetooth keyboards, but prefer to have just one device to have to carry around.

I have found something like the LG Voyager, which would work size wise, but is doesn't seem to support javascript. Also found the Nokia N810, but is doesn't have integrated cell connectivity. It can connect through bluetooth to a cell phone, but for the amount of info I will be sending/receiving, this will be a problem. I need to be able to carry this thing around all day (preferably on my belt-not in a case) as I walk around the site, so a full size laptop with aircard is not an option. I am a consultant and the cost will have to be approved by my client, so $ is an issue. I can see as long as it is priced around a cheap laptop, it would be approved.

So, needs:
cell connectivity
supports javascript
dedicated keyboard

wants/bennies:
a touch screen for drop down menus
small enough to easily carry
can view PDFs natively

Anybody know of a device that will fill my requirements? Having remote access will make my job much easier. So, if you give me the info that leads to a device that works, jump tickets will be placed on your account.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm planning to get a Blackberry Storm, hopefully around the first of November. It's OS is version 4.7, and versions 4.6 & better are reported to have resolved the javascript issues. Also, its full QWERTY touchscreen interface with "haptic feedback" is supposed to be substantially better than the iPhone. If it were me, I'd plan to use the Blackberry as a standalone product. If it turns out that the typing interface isn't good enough for your daily report, you could get a portable keyboard for just that one thing (bluetooth folding, and mini-USB roll-up versions are easy to find).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You might also want to look into a laptop that has a built-in EVDO modem. That will work with Verizon's "high-speed" wireless data plan and allow you to access the website with a full featured browser anywhere that a cell could. I know Dell, Lenovo, Sony, and HP offer laptops with this option. I'd call them up and see if they could recommend something.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Dave, haven't heard about the Storm. Looks interesting. Not sure if I can wait until November. I just keep falling behind. Really need to get wireless soon.

Kyle, I have seen some of the EVDO modem quipped laptops. Trying to get something smaller. At least I know to look for that type of modem in a mini tablet.

Keep the suggestions coming.:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Dave, haven't heard about the Storm. Looks interesting. Not sure if I can wait until November. I just keep falling behind. Really need to get wireless soon.

Kyle, I have seen some of the EVDO modem quipped laptops. Trying to get something smaller. At least I know to look for that type of modem in a mini tablet.

There are a couple of devices coming out "soon", you're doomed to wait I'm afraid. Look into these models (check out phonearena.com and crackberry.com) for more references.

Do you know what kind of cell coverage is available in these areas you go out to? If they're on the fringe, EV-DO Rev. A/0 (Verizon/Sprint) or HSPDA (AT&T) may not be available. So whatever device you get, ensure it is backward compatible to the slower 1X or EDGE networks too.

You also need to see what networks have coverage in the areas you go too. The two "incumbent" networks in the US are AT&T and Verizon.

Having said that, look into these devices (many of them aren't out yet:

HTC Touch Diamond, or Touch Pro/aka Raphael (has qwerty) - Coming soon to VZW,
BlackBerry Storm - Coming Nov. 1 to VZW
Samsung Omina - Coming to AT&T October, to VZW TBD
Palm Treo 800W - Coming to VZW 3Q2008
Motorola Napoleon Q - Coming to VZW 3Q2008

Personally, I think your best long term options are the BB Storm, or HTC. The HTC is a windows device, and it's really pretty. Palm Treos are poorly made in my opinion. The Samsung Omina is something to look forward to, but no one knows when it may finally arrive. Aside from the BlackBerry, the others are all windows mobile devices. The HTC uses a sweet touch-flo interface that's pretty neat.

The only problem is that you have to wait for those. If you can't wait for the cutting edge, check out these devices from Verizon Wireless:

Samsung i-760
XV6900
XV6800
SMT5800

Of those, I like the Samsung and SMT5800 best. You'll need to go to a store and test them out. These smart devices can also tether to your laptop.

edit to add: myself, I'm waiting for the BlackBerry Storm or the Moto Napoleon Q. The Storm has a touchscreen, but not haptic feedback, the screen is actually pushed...you get a physical feedback from it. Super cool...B| The Moto Napoleon Q has a fingerprint scanner.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Acer Aspire One that i just bought is also comming out this year with a 3G internal broadband connection.
It's a 95% sized keybaord and is a full function laptop in a very small and light package.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Perhaps you've already pulled the trigger on something, but the press releases and hands-on reviews of the Storm all hit the airwaves today, and seem to include 100% positive feedback/glowing reviews of the typing interface. I'm definitely looking forward to the release (hopefully Nov. 1).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)