PLFXpert

Vegetarian and/or Vegans in the Hizouse?

I have a pretty good palate, but if it's not meaty, greasy, buttery, rich and/or creamy a certain very-much-loved member of my family will turn his nose up to it.

I'm a vegetarian. My wife is not. I do most of not all of the cooking. If she wants meat, I'll cook it fir her. It's no problem to prepare some meat dish alongside my stuff, especially as we share the same side dishes.

I'll have to try it both with and without sage and let you know my vote.

Just don't use too much sage; it'll make it bitter.

My dad and his family are all from the South (as am I) while my mom and her family are all from England. I married a man who moved here from Hungary with his family as a teenager. My sister-in-law is vegetarian, I'm gluten-free, my mom can't eat much salt... When we all get together for Thanksgiving or Christmas ... Good god there's a lot of food and some crazy diversity.

Some of the vegetarian dishes that come to mind are (if you want recipes, let me know):

Deviled eggs
Mushrooms stuffed with sun dried tomatoes
Roasted head of elephant garlic to spread on crusty slices of toasty bread (everyone but me :( )
The Dressin'
Tons of Hungarian salads (cabbage, cucumber, pepper, some funky celery root one...)
Minted peas
Hungarian peas
Glazed carrots
Welsh Rarebit (sooo tasty but will sooo ruin your pan if you're not careful)
Cabbage rolls
One year, my mom decided that my sis-in-law should have something stuffed (not that we ever stuffed a turkey that I can remember) so she got a small roasting pumpkin and stuffed it with all the things you would normally stuff a turkey with. It turned out awful - soggy - but I know that there's a right way to do it.

I would just highly, highly recommend that you keep him away from the Tofurkey, the Field Roast, the Boca's, the facon and such. He will have a much harder time dealing with a vegetarian feast if you try to fake the meat. It isn't the same. Some of it is good but it isn't the same.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

What is it with you vegetarians and health freaks that always want other people to eat what you eat? I'm half thai so my palate is crazy with diversity and I damn near can stomach anything. But damn it don't sit there and glare at me and tell me how fattening my food is or how disgusting it is or what they did to the animal involved because it's my fucking food, I'm fucking eating it, and you all can fuck off.

I'm joking.......mostly. ;)

www.FourWheelerHB.com

I don't think she is trying to get anyone to 'turn' vegetarian. She is hosting a Christmas dinner for family - one of which is not a vegetarian. She isn't going to cook meat. It's her kitchen and she can do whatever she wants in it. She is just looking for meatless recipies so that one guest doesn't go hungry. That's what I got out of it.

I don't think she is going to go to his house and weep over the soul of the dearly departed turkey. At least I hope she wouldn't... Unless the turkey in question is Wild Turkey and the weeping is because it is all gone. Then that's fine.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

I LOVE salmon. >:(

I love fish--always have--but try not to overdo it.

If you and BZ ever want to swoop the pond at Lake Wales, PM me. It would be nice to see you both again

When did we see you last? You're in Hawaii or Lake Wales? BZ would love to see you at the pond, I'm sure. I've been trying to get his [hot!] ass back out there as of late, but he's been obsessed with his new boat. :$ He's got more than 5,000 jumps. I doubt he's done. :P I DO miss watching him swoop. I don't care how cliche' it sounds--SO sexy. :$B|;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

If he is kind enough not to try to shove his meat down your throat, then could you be kind enough not to push the veggies?

He's not so kind when I visit. [:/]:D

Thankfully, I was given my own debit card to do my own grocery shopping when I was little. We never ate together anyways. Before anyone says, "That's sad." let me just say, I had/have a damn good life!!! :)

Honestly, I don't think she's trying to "convert" him or cram veggies down his throat. To be fair, I think she's just looking for more "animal friendly" foods that will appeal to him.

You're so right, and thank you! Also, thank you to gjhdiver as I didn't take his post as anything but helpful (thank you!).

I don't try to "convert" people ever, generally. My best friend and love, BZ has become more conscious by default. He has a good heart and he loves animals. When he used to ask me questions, I'd answer. Then, on his own accord he'd pick up something on the subject I'd been reading and read it himself.

He still loves his steak...but he's way more in your face to some people about some things than I ever am. :D:P And he eats a LOT less meat. It helps I don't keep anything but fish in the house. :$

But, I digress...

I try very hard not to preach, except when I just can't help myself. :$B|:P

For the record, Asian is my favorite food--flavoring-wise. And sushi.

For me, it's not what you're eating, it's how it got to your plate--the whole "how"; not just the ridiculous additives some cooks add preparing/cooking it.

If things were different in the conditions, raising, feeding & treatment of our farm animals, I'd eat [more] meat.

It's no problem to prepare some meat dish alongside my stuff, especially as we share the same side dishes.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I could so take this the wrong way. Even more so since I know you and Julie.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I love you guys for trying. :D

Not directed just at you, but most of what I read contains, cream, cream & lots-of-other-stuff in stuff like "puff pastry". [:/]

:D:P

I really do appreciate the efforts, though. :)

I thought you eat dairy? Obviously, it is not the healthiest, but it is certainly festive!:)

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

sauteed fennel

3 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 heads fennel, thinly sliced
salt
ground black pepper

Heat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the oil, garlic, fennel, and start tossing, to coat fennel in oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. As the fennel starts to caramelize, add a splash of water to steam for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

I LOVE cheese, but I don't eat it except when it's in a "vegetarian dish" at a friend or relative's dinner.

I eat eggs that are certified humane, free-range & organic.

And I use butter.

No cream! No milk!

:P