skymama

Healthy substitute for Gatorade?

Also try and replenish your carbs during the workout (GU's or the likes) if what you want is maximum performance.

No thanks, I use healthy fats for my main source of energy. My carbs can feed my brain. Other than that, especially athletic performance, fat is the way to go for performance.

All people talk is about carb loading. You know what happens when you carb load a few hours before a workout? Your insulin levels spike way high to compensate for the high amount of carbs. The insulin tells the body to store some of it for the brain to use in the near future, but that storage is very limited. What happens to all the other carbs? Insulin tells the body to store the extra carbs as body fat, and puts it wherever it wants. Then, as a double whammy, the insulin also tells your body to NOT let that fat be used for energy. So, all your carb loading does is store body fat that can't be used for your workout, at least until your insulin levels go down.

Americans are always pressed to eat carbs, carbs, carbs! What do you eat with breakfast cereal? Milk, fruit, a muffin on the side, orange juice, etc. ALL CARBS! Where's the protein? Where's the fat? Oh right, it's LOW fat cereal, and LOW fat milk.

A high carbohydrate diet is dangerous to your health. Obese and overweight Americans surprisingly don't eat that much fat at all. We have more health clubs and diets than any other country in the world. Why are we the fattest? The truth, is in what we eat. Nutrition is the very base of the pyramid for athletic performance, and wellness.

I should just make my own topic on this, and not write these long threads out, lol.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

lol.. That was me. And who the hell talked about cark loading? Those packs have 100 Cal.

I'm not talking about your regular diet. I'm talking about DURING an intense, long activity (I burn about 4 to 5 thousand Cals on a 3 hour ride). Fat will not get absorbed quickly enough, and will actually not sit very well in most people's stomack when pushing at 25 mph on a hill ;)

Remster

The Brazilian grocery stores in Orlando area sell cases of Coconut Water

That was suggested to me in a pm too. I checked one of the brands, it has 14 grams of sugar. His whole reason of trying to get off Gatorade is because of the sugar.

I asked him about Vitamin Water, he said no thanks. He is open to taking a suppliment though.

As far the Jack Daniels, Dave- he's only 17! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Pedialyte is the ticket if he needs to rehydrate quickly when in a physically active state, especially if he is a prior heat casualty. The other option is known as rehydration salts. Both taste like shit but you can cut them with a bit more water to make them bearable. Both can be made at home instead of buying it off the shelf, Google either one and you will find how to make it. Both have some sugar in them because the body needs it to a certain extent as straight salt water doesn't hydrate you, it has the opposite effect. The only way you can completely remove sugar is to drink plain old room temperature water. But that does zero to replace electrolytes and all of the other good stuff the body needs. An ideal solution I have found to work while physically active is to supplement with a product called GU and plain water. Since your son is engaged in sports, a GU before, some point during and then after physical activity along with constant sipping of water will keep him hydrated and increase his performance levels.

I don't recommend coconut water/milk as it usually is too sweet to handle when you're dehydrated or have just finished or are engaged in a physical activity. Too much of it can also act as a laxative and individual tolerances vary.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Drinking water is the best way to go, but with the amount of activity your son does, it would be wise to add a supplement to his fluid intake. Essential Electrolytes are needed for cell stability and replacement of lost minerals.

Yup! :)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Also try and replenish your carbs during the workout (GU's or the likes) if what you want is maximum performance.

No thanks, I use healthy fats for my main source of energy. My carbs can feed my brain. Other than that, especially athletic performance, fat is the way to go for performance.

Unfortunately, your body has its own way of deciding when to use fats and when to use carbs. During light to moderate exercise, yes, you can get a substantial amount of energy from fat. However, during heavy exercise the body relies predominantly (and sometimes completely) on carbs for energy. With training you can shift the point at which you begin relying mainly on carbs to a slightly higher intensity, but you can't eliminate it entirely.

Try Zipp Fizz- you add it to water. I get mine at Costco. It is sugar free and loaded with vitamins. It also has caffeine but they make a "kid friendly" version without it.

Zipp Fizz is an energy drink, not a sports drink, or a drink you take to stay hydrated.

Torch hydrate is another product I know of that would work as a substitute, but again, not as cheap as just watering down some gatorade.

They market it as both and I did throw in the discalaimer about the caffeine. But, it is sugar fee and has the electrolytes, potassium and vitamins.

Zipp Fizz is the bomb for HANGOVERS:)

Sorry Dave, I just clicked your reply after I read through the page.

Remster, I didn't read your whole reply. I missed the "during" part. I thought you were referring to the popular carb loading before an exercise. If I was working out for a long time, I would ingest carbs as well. Although I'd also have a small amount of fat and protein to go with it, assuming it isn't an extremely intense workout that will make me puke.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Sorry Dave, I just clicked your reply after I read through the page.

Remster, I didn't read your whole reply. I missed the "during" part. I thought you were referring to the popular carb loading before an exercise. If I was working out for a long time, I would ingest carbs as well. Although I'd also have a small amount of fat and protein to go with it, assuming it isn't an extremely intense workout that will make me puke.

Ummmm, I'm not Dave. He's from Texas and carries a gun! oops I said gun in the bonfire, mavericky:P

+1 on the Pedialyte--but I'd buy the store brand (same formula but way cheaper).

Here in northern AZ a popular product with Grand Canyon hikers, mountain bikers et al is Gookinade--now called Vitalyte. You can get a 35 oz/1000gm tub for about $10 in many sporting goods stores and hospital pharmacies (orange and lemonade flavors--maybe more). One tub makes ~80 eight-oz servings of only 40 calories. You can't beat it.

BTW, I would say that most folks my wife treated in the Grand Canyon Clinic who had been sweating profusely and/or suffering from heat exhaustion were suffering (besides dehydration) from a potassium deficiency. It is common with heavy drinkers and heavy coffee drinkers, too. Heart skipping beats? Fatigued? Probably low on K.
“Keep your elbow up!"

(I haven't read all the replies in this thread so I apologize if I'm being redundant with what's already been posted.)

I hate the strong sugary stuff during my multi-hour runs, so I feel your son's pain. Electrolytes are important to replace if there is lots of sweat loss, so if he's not sweating entirely too much and he is just used to sports drinks, water should be plenty (assuming he's getting adequate calories and carbs elsewhere).

Personally, I like Nuun electrolyte tabs (available at REI and other sports/outdoors stores), just drop one into a bottle of water and you get a lightly flavored electrolyte drink with no sugar. Another option is electrolyte capsules, such as Succeed S-Caps. Take 1 per hour in moderate weather exercise conditions, 2 per hour in hot conditions, etc. These are a bit harder to come by, but if you're looking for electrolyte stuff, no better place to find a wide variety than an online store for ultrarunners, such as zombierunner.com. Hope this helps!

When I worked at UPS throwing boxes in the summer,

I sweat buckets and would wake up in the middle of the night with terrible hand/leg cramps.
(yep I'm a smoker)

I used a remedy that I enjoy.

I took a multivitamin and,
a few handfuls of potato chips, the occasional bananna, and 1/2 strength powdered (blue) gatoraid.

I'd drink a gallon during a 4 hour shift and a quart of filtered tap water on the way to/from.

The chips stopped the cramps and I never fell out at work.

I'm a cheapo bastage! ;)

YMMV

PULL!
jumpin_Jan

"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

Another fan of pedialyte. You can put just a tiny sprinkle of something like crystal lite in a flavor he likes. Kind of tastes like salty kool-aid. You can water down the pedialyte too if he's drinking huge amounts. Emergen-C is good, but huge amounts of C can really clean you out.

Budweiser should do :

Calories - At this serving size there are 12 Calories per serving. A closer look shows: 0 Calories from Fat, 0 Calories from Protein, and 4 Calories from Carbohydrate. If you're keeping track, a good calorie counter can make this easy -- see the software below.

*Fat/Carb/Pro calories based on the Atwater (9/4/4) calculations.

Fat - This is a healthy food if you're watching your fat intake. There is no Fat in this food.

Cholesterol - This is one of the healthy foods if you're watching your Cholesterol intake. There are 0 mg of Cholesterol.

Carbohydrates - Total Carb count for one serving: 0.89 grams. Sugar: Unknown, Fiber: 0 grams, and Net Carbs: 0.9 grams (helpful to know if you're counting carbs).

Protein - There are 0.11 grams of Protein in each serving of this food.

Minerals - In one serving there are 1.19 mg of Calcium, but it is not a significant source of Iron. In addition, this food has 9.83 mg of Potassium and 0.89 mg of Sodium in each serving.

Vitamins - Unfortunately we do not know the Vitamin A and C amounts. They were not listed for this food.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

He had one very scary incident where he collapsed after a game from dehydration and was taken out in an ambulance, resulting in him having to get 2 IV bags in him to balance him out.

If he is exerting himself enough to collapse, he needs to slow the hell down and listen to what his body is telling him. Usually a person heat strokes by getting dizzy and they are unable to catch their breath. They don't collapse unless they are being negligent.

Switching energy drinks has nothing to do with it. If he is sweating too much, it’s a sign of a heart condition. Don’t take things like this lightly. Kids are stupid. They don’t know how to tell when they are on the verge of collapse. Please have him be careful or pull him off the damn team.

If he is exerting himself enough to collapse, he needs to slow the hell down and listen to what his body is telling him. Usually a person heat strokes by getting dizzy and they are unable to catch their breath. They don't collapse unless they are being negligent.

Well, it was an extreme game; championship game, double overtime that went into pentaly kicks. Then, as they were celebrating their win on the field, the Trainers enptied all the water buckets to head home, so he ended up not getting any water after playing. Stupid Trainers!

He actually learned from it and knows to watch for the feeling of being disoriented like that now. I remember watching him from the stands and not understanding why he was suddenly missing shots during the last overrtime period after playing so well during the whole game. It seemed like he was on a 2 second delay- now we know why!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon