mamajumps

Dog & cat people: Is there a difference in personalities?

http://livinginasordidworld.blogspot.com/2008/02/dog-people-and-cat-people.html

I grew up with all kinds of critters, from chickens, to horses, cows, dogs, cats, peacocks, & alligators (actually had 1 for a pet). Through out my life I have had 3 dogs that I lost tragically, that I loved nearly as much as I love my human children. One around age 12, then 21 and most recently 31. Since the most recent loss, I have no use for dogs at all.

However, I have always considered my self a "cat person". I have never been able to house-train a dog, and believe me I have tried. This has been a huge turn-off. I also can't stand thing's, animals or people that demand my attention, which makes me a better fit as a cat person.

However, when I read the article that I attached, I find similarities from dog people and cat people. I am very independent and cherish my alone time, but on the same hand, I am very outgoing and make friends easily.

So speak up and discuss your thoughts on this and which kind of person that you are...;)

I also can't stand anything, animal, person, etc that demands my attention

:| So why is it you have children?... [:/] Accident? :|
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I also can't stand anything, animal, person, etc that demands my attention

:| So why is it you have children?... [:/] Accident? :|

Why can't this be a discussion about the topic I started and not an attack... really did I ask for that. My kids are the center of my world, and before anything else, I am a mommy. The love and care they need from me is no way demanding. They give me the drive to keep going nearly everyday....

I guess I should have spelled it out for those just looking for reasons to attack or stir up shit. :S:S

I'm not attacking you, that's not my nature. All I did was point out something that I see as contradictory.

Ok understood... I'm just really tired of people here assuming that I am a bad mom for whatever reason (I know very few people that post here in person, and the one's I do know, are very aware of how good of a mom I am.) Becuase my kids come first in my life, I have 78 jumps over 5 years. I make daily sacrifices in my life for my kids, just to make sure their childhood is better than mine was, and I don't regret the first sacrifice. The most recent was taking on an additional 13,000 a year in debt, so they can attend private school and get the best possible education. Can't afford it at all, but they are worth it....:)

I have two cats now, actually I have a kitten and there is a cat who lives at my house who has 4 people....:|

I say I don't like demanding animals, but that damn cat is the most demanding creature!!!!! I love her pieces, but sometimes...wow sometimes....:S:S:P I have had her for 8 years, and she is most def the queen bee... She gets worse as she gets older too... She definitly has time with our family in her favor!:P

That article was silly. The "cat personality" described there fits me, and I dislike cats. I do think that there is a differenced in personalities between people who favor one type of pet over the other, but I have my own views on this topic.

Taking care of a dog demonstrates the ability to love and to take care of something/one other than oneself. Honestly, it seems like dog people tend to be nature lovers, down-to-earth, loyal and loving. These people often have great personalities. Dating a man with a dog often means dating someone, who is open, caring and emotionally available. When a person (especially a man) has a dog for a pet, it shows that person know how to take care of obligations, be nurturing and is not purely self-absorbed in his life.

I will not write the personality traits that I've noticed about "cat people". In any case, these are generalizations, and they are skewed by my own bias.

That article was silly. The "cat personality" described there fits me, and I dislike cats. I do think that there is a differenced in personalities between people who favor one type of pet over the other, but I have my own views on this topic.

Taking care of a dog demonstrates the ability to love and to take care of something/one other than oneself. Honestly, it seems like dog people tend to be nature lovers, down-to-earth, loyal and loving. These people often have great personalities. Dating a man with a dog often means dating someone, who is open, caring and emotionally available. When a person (especially a man) has a dog for a pet, it shows that person know how to take care of obligations, be nurturing and is not purely self-absorbed in his life.

I will not write the personality traits that I've noticed about "cat people". In any case, these are generalizations, and they are skewed by my own bias.

I have 3 cats and that "cat people" description does not fit me at all.

I am definitely not quiet. :D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I am def a cat person. In the past I had 4 cats at one time. I only have one cat now, and I have a small tolerance for dogs. I just don't like them. I adore cats though.

Yeah that article pretty much fits me. But I try and say hello to other at least. :$

http://3ringnecklace.com/

I know people who fit into either or both of those categories who have never had a pet in their entire lives. They're just catchall definitions.

Some people just like dogs more than cats or vice versa. I, personally, love dogs and cats as equal as any parent loves their two children. They are completely different but I love them both.

I have two dogs that follow me every single place I go - one even tries to take showers with me. It seems sometimes that I have two dogs growing out of me and it gets tiring sometimes. I have one cat that I wish had some interest in me when she wasn't hungry.

I used to be a dog trainer. House training is by far the hardest thing you have to teach a dog. You can teach a dog to go to the fridge and get you a beer in a day but house training takes weeks at best. How you spend your early days with the dog - training, playing, etc. will play into how needy a dog is later in life.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

I don’t know I guess I am just an animal person. I grew up with chickens, ducks, pigeons, and a bunch of other animals. I love dogs, cats, birds, bugs whatever. If I had to choose between a cat and a dog I would get a dog because I am allergic to cats, but that’s the only reason.

I would have loved to have a pet alligator.

There is one thing that I really love about cats. No leash laws. You can have a cat and take care of him/her and if they are an outdoor cat they can still have a free life.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

When a person (especially a man) has a dog for a pet, it shows that person know how to take care of obligations, be nurturing and is not purely self-absorbed in his life.
--------------------------------------------
I think this statement is to broad. I would agree with it, if it specified more. Many people have dogs, but I would still say they are not necessarily good people.

For example I hate it when I see a dog in the bed of a pick up truck. So many dogs have jumped out of the back of a moving pick up trucks and died doing so. Those dog owners are certainly not showing any hint of responsibility.
I could go on and cite many other examples of selfish people who happen to own dogs. But I do agree, that somebody who is a loyal dog owner, loves his dog and takes the responsibility of being a dog owner seriously is probably a person with a good heart.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I read the article and it really generalizes and trys to extend her perception of her friend to all "dog" people. I like dogs but her portrayal of dog people is inaccurate at best. My daughter is a cat person and she doesn't fit the sterotype of cat people either.

I do agree that dog lovers are different than cat lovers but to post my reasons would start a debate on why having a penis is better than having a vagina. :)

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I think that article accurately describes the differences between cats and dogs. But in my experience more than a quarter of those generalizations are not even close to true. I won't go line by line, but I will just point out one thing in the artical that I thought was a joke. It said that dog people were messy where as cat people were neat. That was pretty funny. I am not trying to suggest that dog owners are always clean. But I think its far more likely that a cat lady's house is going to be a nasty place that stinks to high heaven.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Which is one reason why I will never be that old crazy cat lady. Cat boxes are nasty!!!!!!!!!!!! The cat who owns me is indoor and outdoor and the kitten which is my daughters, get her box scooped daily.... That is the biggest downfall to cats.... they are some stinky ass little creatures!:P

Which is one reason why I will never be that old crazy cat lady. Cat boxes are nasty!!!!!!!!!!!! The cat who owns me is indoor and outdoor and the kitten which is my daughters, get her box scooped daily.... That is the biggest downfall to cats.... they are some stinky ass little creatures!:P

Nahh.. just change the brand of litter. ;)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Nahh.. just change the brand of litter. ;)

What do you reccomend? Seems like I have tried it all at some point. If I try the pearls or the feline pine, in revenge they shit on the floor right outside the box....[:/]