ryan_d_sucks

Slider solutions?

Hey, I'm looking for some opinions or solutions to my current situation. I have recently, within the last 20 jumps started using soft links. I do not, at this time have any bumpers for them. The slider routinely falls past, or hangs up on my toggles upon opening. I then have 2 choices, I can collapse the slider and push it back up above the stowed toggles and hope that it stays put, or I can collapse the slider and pull it down behind my head.

If I push the slider up, it will occasionally stay put. However, often times it will sink back down over my toggles, getting in my way if I am in full flight. It also tends to come uncollapsed with any aggressive canopy flight (front riser turns, or hard toggle inputs), and bounce me around. I'm tired of messing with it while I'm flying my canopy, its just not safe, especially when it sinks back down while I'm coming in on final.

If I pull the slider behind my head (with no slider stow) my visisbiity is GREATLY reduced. I can not move my head freely to look up and to the sides, or to glance over my shoulder. I do not like this, it feels incredibly unsafe, and I no longer even attempt it.

So, neither of my options seems to be working for me at all, and they seem like they could be contributing to the first part of a chain of events that ends with an accident. I am debating on 2 solutions. The first is to install slider bumpers so my slider stays up above my head at all times. The problem with that however, is that my slider will continue to come uncollapsed with any aggressive flight as it does now. The second option is to put on a slider stow. I was looking at the SkyTie from skysystems http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50_54&products_id=391

The slider stow would fix my current issues, but may add some issues of its own. I know there are potential problems with cutting away while a slider stow is being used. It seems like cutting away with a skyhook installed would further potentiate these issues. Has anyone had experience cutting away a main with a slider stow attached? Has anyone had that experience while using an RSL or skyhook? Are there any other options I should be considering?

What kind of collapsible slider are you using?

Some stay set better than others...

I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the slider, I'm assuming it is made by Atair, as is the canopy. As far as the type of slider- its the kind with 2 tabs and drawstrings to collapse the slider, and stiffeners on the drawstrings that should keep it collapsed once pulled.

I don't have a skytie but want to get one soon heard nothing but good things about them. However I have had luck by collapsing the slider, then bringing it all the way down in front of me and then practically doing a chin-up using the slider, this kinda cinches down the slider gromets in the risers where they split front and rear, then I throw it behind my head, I can look back, put my head all the way back and see perfectly fine, sometimes it comes up a bit but I just put my head back to make the slider go to the base of my neck and I have no visibility issues. Hope it helps.

This problem has been discussed on several other threads.
Anything sewn to the collar of a jumpsuit or yoke of a harness scares the &^%$#@! out of me!

Fortunately, a wide variety of "Slocks," slider-catchers," etc. will hold your slider at the bottom of your risers with zero risk of entanglement in the event of a cutaway.

My favorites are "Andreas" pattern slider-catchers ... mainly because they are the easiest to sew from 1.5 inch wide Type 4 tape ... just flod into a triangle and zig-zag the bejessus out of them!

If I pull the slider behind my head (with no slider stow) my visisbiity is GREATLY reduced. I can not move my head freely to look up and to the sides, or to glance over my shoulder. I do not like this, it feels incredibly unsafe, and I no longer even attempt it.

??? How is that? You rather collapse and pull it through. Pull the rear rings first and the front rings over it so it would stay down.

If you don't like it than get your slider bumpers installed on your soft links.

If you're not trying to get the slider behind your head for performance reasons, then you should just get a set of the Slink bumpers from PD and leave the slider up above your risers. It's easier, faster, and safer then stowing it below your toggles.

Have a rigger look at the drawstrings and channels on your slider to see if they can get it to stay collapsed. Sometimes you can sew the mouth of the channel so it is narrower, and the drawstring can't easily slip back in on it's own. It's literally a five minute job, and usually does the trick.

I can collapse the slider and push it back up above the stowed toggles and hope that it stays put,

If you collapse the slider, push it up above the links, and then put your hands in the toggles, you shouldn't have any problems. Once you unstow the toggles, your hands should stay in them until landing. Actually, even if you remove your hands, the slider shouldn't come down past the toggles once they are unstowed. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what the problem is. [:/]

I can collapse the slider and push it back up above the stowed toggles and hope that it stays put,

If you collapse the slider, push it up above the links, and then put your hands in the toggles, you shouldn't have any problems. Once you unstow the toggles, your hands should stay in them until landing. Actually, even if you remove your hands, the slider shouldn't come down past the toggles once they are unstowed. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what the problem is. [:/]

I agree, it shouldn't. But it DOES. The problem is that I will do some front riser or toggle inputs, and the slider comes uncollapsed again. It then falls down interfereing with having my hands up at full flight. In fact, on my last jump I turned on to final and the slider uncollapsed, but I was too low to mess around with it anymore. I ended up having the right half of the slider (both front and rear grommets) down by the side of my head flapping around, and the left half up where it was supposed to be, resting right at about the slink level. Annoying to say the least, potentially dangerous when you're coming in on final, as I was having to push the slider up with my hand in the toggle to have my right hand at full flight.

If you collapse the slider, push it up above the links, and then put your hands in the toggles, you shouldn't have any problems. Once you unstow the toggles, your hands should stay in them until landing. Actually, even if you remove your hands, the slider shouldn't come down past the toggles once they are unstowed. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what the problem is.

What you are missing is a history lesson. Username Freeflyhol died doing that.

Have your rigger look at your collapsing line. If your slider is routinely coming uncollapsed, It may need new lines.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

This problem has been discussed on several other threads.
Anything sewn to the collar of a jumpsuit or yoke of a harness scares the &^%$#@! out of me!

Fortunately, a wide variety of "Slocks," slider-catchers," etc. will hold your slider at the bottom of your risers with zero risk of entanglement in the event of a cutaway.

Is there any documented case, when properly made slider keeper (i.e. such skytie or a half of locking stow sewn on a slider) caused trubles during cutaway??

Slocks could be good but they didn't work as I want to
1. I am not just put my slider behind, I twisted them few times so that he became more compact, "hears" don't inflate and don't disturb my view site))
2. Slider pulled further behind the head
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

It may sound like a stupid question but are you sure you’re pulling both drawstrings of your slider all the way up to the lockers (stops)?
That is the only way I can see for the slider to uncollapse
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I don't like my slider coming down below the links, either. Have some bumpers put on and that problem will be solved. As for your slider uncollapsing on its own? Something is wrong/broken/worn out with your collapsing mechanism. Have a rigger fix it. ;)

I've seen several sliders where the stitching came undone at the "collapse line" hole. That left a big enough hole for the tab to go back in with little difficulty. I've fixed one, it was a 5 min overstitch job. I spent more time putting in the correct color thread than I did actually sewing it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Is there any documented case, when properly made slider keeper (i.e. such skytie or a half of locking stow sewn on a slider) caused trubles during cutaway??

From the UK skydive mag:

At Skydive Spain, a situation where one of those elastic bungees with white ball on snags the excess brake line on a velocity causing a severe spiral. Before cutting away he reaches around and opens the reserve flap to free the slider stow. Without doing this it would have been likely the main would remain in tow.

Have attached the article from the mag which includes a video image of the snag

From the UK skydive mag:

At Skydive Spain, a situation where one of those elastic bungees with white ball on snags the excess brake line on a velocity causing a severe spiral. Before cutting away he reaches around and opens the reserve flap to free the slider stow. Without doing this it would have been likely the main would remain in tow.

Have attached the article from the mag which includes a video image of the snag

I dont see how that would happen with a skytie. I bet that guy stows his excess brake line now huh?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I dont see how that would happen with a skytie. I bet that guy stows his excess brake line now huh?

I agree, I doubt a real skytie would have that problem, sadly looking around mine and most other dropzones, these 'bungy balls' seem to be the norm...

As for stowing brake lines, those 20 seconds saved are vitally important to some people.

I have always avoided any kind of slider stow solution that involves a direct connection between container and slider - for exactly this reason. I had always figured it would happen, so am not surprised it actually has. Happy the man dealt with it, but some day there will be someone who does not.

I currently use a section of fingertrapped 1000 dacron sewn onto my front risers. It works well enough.

I may upgrade to a magnetic one on my reserve flap, but am still on the fence if the magnet would actually release.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I agree, I doubt a real skytie would have that problem, sadly looking around mine and most other dropzones, these 'bungy balls' seem to be the norm...

As for stowing brake lines, those 20 seconds saved are vitally important to some people.

It makes me cringe when someone tells me to just leave their excess brake line unstowed, and I dont ever do it without someone specifically telling me to.

I dont see the rush, it takes 5seconds max per riser to put them in with a pullup cord.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message