josebaumanndez

Reserve repack

The only gadget that might lift a freebag off your back is a catapult.

A catapult is a pilot chute with a shorter bridle.

Sparky

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Close!
Catapult is a soft (hand-deploy) pilot chute sewn to the reserve bridle 1/3 of the way up from the freebag.Catapults were only available on Reflexes (Fliteline) and the Mach III Alpha military freefall rig (Guardian/FXC).
Mickey Cottle invented the catapult after a scary pilot chute hesitation on a Vector L

Note: Vector Is suffered from a metalurgical defect (weak spring) similar to Talon Mark 1. the Vector factory quietly updated their reserve pilotchute design on the Vector II and no self-respecting rigger has repacked a Vector I or Talon 1 pilotchute in more than a decade. Fortunately, the Vector II reserve pilotchute is a "drop in" replacement.

The only gadget that might lift a freebag off your back is a catapult.

A catapult is a pilot chute with a shorter bridle.

Sparky

Close!
Catapult is a soft (hand-deploy) pilot chute sewn to the reserve bridle 1/3 of the way up from the freebag.Catapults were only available on Reflexes (Fliteline) and the Mach III Alpha military freefall rig (Guardian/FXC).
Mickey Cottle invented the catapult after a scary pilot chute hesitation on a Vector L

Note: Vector Is suffered from a metalurgical defect (weak spring) similar to Talon Mark 1. the Vector factory quietly updated their reserve pilotchute design on the Vector II and no self-respecting rigger has repacked a Vector I or Talon 1 pilotchute in more than a decade. Fortunately, the Vector II reserve pilotchute is a "drop in" replacement.

Like I said, a catapult is a pilot chute on a shorter bridle. 2/3's shorter.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The simplest way to discourage pencil-packing is to walk into the loft with the harness over your shoulders and pull the ripcord while the rigger watches.

This is also a good time to review emergency procedures and it scares me how often skydivers mess up EPs in the loft!

Fifty dollars for a repack. That is cheaper then what I charge. But then again I am only interested in doing my own rigs anymore.

As far as someone signing my name ill put an axe on that and would not / could not do their work for them too much of a liabiltiy like being married...hahahha
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Assister pockets are not much better.

I've thought about this myself. Do they work? Since some manufacturers are using them, one would assume they have been tested. Does anyone know if they have? Does anyone know of a test-jump with an induced horse-shoe and a subsequent deployment by the assister pockets?

As to the 2" bridle vs. 1" type IV; I feel its easier to work with the 2" variety than it would be with typeIV, and that the 2" bridle is easier to pack so it looks neat from the outside. Of course, it could be just because of what I'm used to.

Damn...burns my heart to know that there are cheatin' bastard riggers and dumb-ass jumpers out there...but I knew that all along...

For you decent folk, congrats for your honesty and thanks for your concern for my safety. I am very fortunate in that I have two local riggers who don't cheat and who go the extra mile for us.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As to the 2" bridle vs. 1" type IV; I feel its easier to work with the 2" variety than it would be with typeIV, and that the 2" bridle is easier to pack so it looks neat from the outside. Of course, it could be just because of what I'm used to.

If you have packed as many thousand rounds (mains, reserves and pilot emergency parachutes) as me, you will find it quicker to "figure-8" a 1" bridle than all the fancy (V or triangle or whatever) folds on 2" wide bridles. I can remember most of the stuffing and closing procedures for most of the popular containers, but still have to glance in the manuals to remind myself how to fold 2" bridles.

Assistor pockets are not much better.

I've thought about this myself. Do they work? Since some manufacturers are using them, one would assume they have been tested. Does anyone know if they have? Does anyone know of a test-jump with an induced horse-shoe and a subsequent deployment by the assister pockets?

Assister pockets were invented by the Russians (or French) - back in the 1950s - to lift sleeved round canopies out of containers. Main pilot chutes were so lame - back then - that some Russian rigs did not even bother with main pilot chutes. Also remember that some of the Russian rigs were derived from ejection seats that used assistor pockets as the primary pilot chute/drogue and anchored the sleeve to the jumper's shoulders so that it acted as the "mother of all drogue bridles."

Also remember that a lot of ejection seats (from a lot of different countries) use some form of drogue to decellerate and stabilize the seat until they are low enough and slow enough to deploy a landable canopy.

The only modern use for assistor pockets (sewn to sleeves) is on whole aircraft recovery chutes made by Ballistic Recovery Systems (BRS).

Most of the above-mentioned systems use some form of rocket or slug gun to extract the sleeve from the container, way too sophisticated for skydivers.

Returning to modern sport gear .. I doubt is tiny assistor pockets make much difference. When I worked for Rigging Innovations (1994-1997) I don't remember Sandy Reid mentioning test jumps specifically designed to prove the worth of assistor pockets.