bigbearfng

Watching someone go in is the worst......

I agree with the This is my second season ending and I have not seen it yet. I dread the day and I worry how it will effect me and how I view the sky.

Turn your back...put your fingers in your ears and go NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA[:/][:/][:/]

If you have to watch...you will remember all of the sights and sounds for a lifetime.

I saw a cutaway at LP this year where the jumper did a whole lot of in the air rigging.. THEN choppped and dropped and dropped and dropped.....[:/][:/] and opened very low... I had already turned around and did not watch.. I did not want to see it.

I remember that jump Amazon.....it sucked to watch and had a good outcome, wouldn't want to have imagined it turning out any other way. I too am newer to the sport. I am thankful for my background .... although it is a whole different ballgame when it is someone that you are close to .... someone you know or someone you love.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I have been fortunate eneough not to have witnessed a lethal accident.
But the snap of a bone is still sounding through my head and still gives me the shivers.

A few weeks later I saw a student who had remembered that one "has to turn at 250 feet". Thing is, he already had turned into the wind and winds were near student limits. He crashed downwind into a field on the other side of the road with a marginal flare. The instructor who was on ground duty had two more first jump students in the air to worry about. Since I had just landed, it fell to me to take off my rig and run out to the student. He turned out to be unharmed - but those were the furthest 300 meters I have ever run.

Docile and forgiving student canopy or not, I was certain I was going to see my first fatality then and there...
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

A person you've shared the sky with........
And all you can do is watch and start to mutter "cutaway"....."do something".......
And then yell to call 911 and head out there.....
And there's still not a damn thing you can do....

Seems you always look at fatalities and say " hey I maintain my gear so that'll never happen to me" or "I don't swoop so that'll never happen to me".

But then there's the one's that, "Ya it sure as hell could happen to me too and wouldn't be a damn thing I could do about it."

This sport is my therapy and I'm not about to give it up, but some days it sure makes you think about a lotta shit.........

Sorry, I'm just rambling here, but seems to help....
BSBD

That is a very good thing. Fully engaged is the only way to be. There are so many ways things can go bad (and so many ways things go good too).

We had a tandem-catching injury yesterday afternoon; of all things. A little sloppy footwork, a little too much zeal to get to a toggle, and sproing!! Seriously sprang, possibly broken foot.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley