RALFFERS

My dog is in so much pain :-(

The poor little guy had to get his shots yesterday - and if it was any day that I expected him to not be himself it would have been yesterday; not today.
[:/]

When he was brought home from the vet he was actually fine, as if nothing ever happened. Today it's a different story though. He's hardly walking around the house (he follows you everywhere, like your own shadow - and I mean that quite literally; he has to be in the part of the house where at least 1 person is at all times. Today though, he's just lying around in place, and is being a loner; pretty much and not moving. Right before the attached picture was taken, he was just sitting on my pillow, starring at the wall for 15-20 minutes and not moving in the slightest.

Call me a softy or whatever, but I can't stand to see an animal in pain - much less my own dog. That sad look in his eyes is really starting to get to me. [:/]
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Good point. A biscuit wouldn't do it though (he's spoiled.) I'd have to go cook something for him, or give em' some of my dinner to evoke any kind of reaction.

I think he's just working you for sympathy...based on the fact that the loud barking in the background when we talk...that dog is JUST FINE!!! When I don't hear the loud high pitched bark, only THEN I would be concerned:ph34r:

When we took him to get his shots last year it was the same deal (but happened on the 1st day and not the 2nd.) I'm expecting [and hoping] him to be fine by tomorrow, if he's not then I'll take him back to the vet.

Hey, Ralffers.

Is your dog vomiting, having diarrhea, are there any obvious swollen areas, or is your dog having any difficulties at all breathing? If your dog is showing any of those symptoms, get to the vet.

Is your dog eating, drinking, urinating, and defecating ok? If not, go to the vet.

If he's just moping around and being tired, it could be an issue with him just having a delayed reaction to the shots. They can be tiring to the pups. How many did he get at once and which ones?

However, as I will always say, if you're concerned, give your vet a call. It's only a phone call and they may be able to put your mind at rest or since they know and take care of your dog, if they're concerned they will have you bring him in.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll check as often as I can but we've got a "little" :S power issue going on down here so I'm online that much.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Good point. A biscuit wouldn't do it though (he's spoiled.) I'd have to go cook something for him, or give em' some of my dinner to evoke any kind of reaction.

I see a few problems with this scenario.:|

1) You seem to be whipped. So if the dog is a guy dog. . . what does that mean?

2) Dogs should be trained to bring beer, not to be cooked for.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, I never let the vet give any of my cats more than one vaccine at a time because in the past they've been listless for a day or two afterwards. If they only get one they seem just fine. I think its just an overload on their systems. Babies go through the same thing after they get shots.

I have housecats with limited contact with other animals, so I generally refuse the rabies shot (I've been told annually is overkill anyway.) If they really fight me about it or I need to comply with my city's requirements, I agree to bring them back in a few months. Yeah, that works out to two vet visits per year and is harder on my budget but easier on them in the long run.

Well, I never let the vet give any of my cats more than one vaccine at a time because in the past they've been listless for a day or two afterwards.

That very well might be what did it than, because when I called the vet this morning she told me that he was given his rabies shots, along with 2 other shots (that I can't for the life of me remember the name of right now) which are taken in conjunction with each other.

The standard vaccine cocktail is Rabies and "DHLPPC"

Distemper
Hepatitis
Leptospirosis
Parainfluenza
Parvo
Corona (Corona virus, not the beer)

Some vets leave out the Leptospirosis part.

Essentially your dog was injected with a shit load of viruses however minute the amounts. It will make him sick to a degree since you have asked a lot of his immune system. Most people get sick after a flu shot and that's just one vaccine.

If he's a bit down, give him time. If he seems sick, get him to the vet right away.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

The standard vaccine cocktail is Rabies and "DHLPPC"

Distemper
Hepatitis
Leptospirosis
Parainfluenza
Parvo
Corona (Corona virus, not the beer)

Some vets leave out the Leptospirosis part.

Essentially your dog was injected with a shit load of viruses however minute the amounts. It will make him sick to a degree since you have asked a lot of his immune system. Most people get sick after a flu shot and that's just one vaccine.

If he's a bit down, give him time. If he seems sick, get him to the vet right away.

I agree, his little system is probably just going haywire from the introduction to the live viruses. Hope he feel's better soon! Keep us posted!:)

Anybody a vet on here? I'm curious to know why simple shots would cause such pain in the first place.

They shouldn't cause that much discomfort. I would leave off the Leptospirosis part of the vaccine unless your dog drinks from puddles and just get the Distemper/parvo shot every 2nd or 3rd year.
You can also get a diphenhydramine injection which may lesson the reaction. Rabies rarely causes a reaction and should be given every year or 3 years depending on the vaccine type. And of course there are plenty of pain medications to alleviate any discomfort