lauras

Fundraising ideas?

I'm hoping to gather some fundraising ideas from DZ.commers that have successfully held auctions, solicited donations, etc. This is specifically for a charity event to be held at Skydive City sometime during our Christmas Boogie. ANY and ALL ideas are welcome as I've never done anything like this before.

Lelia & Rick Ginder are long-time Williston / Zhills jumpers. Their youngest son, Dale, was diagnosed in April at the age of 6 with Duchenne, an absolutely heart-breaking disease for a little boy to have. Duchenne is a type of muscular dystrophy (progressive muscle disease) that robs boys of the use of their muscles and strength and eventually their lives. Dale will be in a wheelchair by 11 or 12 years of age. Since the heart and lungs are muscles too, these boys will suffer cardiac and respiratory failure. Boys with Duchenne rarely live past their late teens or early twenties. There is presently no cure for Duchenne. Current treatments are long term and can have difficult, unpleasant and crippling side effects.

100% of all proceeds will go towards Duchenne research, not directly towards any individual or family. Please take a look at www.curedalesduchenne.com, PM me for verification or check out www.skydivecity.com & scroll down the homepage for further information.

Thanks in advance for any advice & suggestions!

Laura - my first suggestion would be to talk with Valinda Mitchell (vskydiver here on dropzone.com) - she can tell you all about her experience setting up the Leap for Lupus foundation over the past few years and running the Leap for Lupus boogie for three years. I'll be happy to make a formal intro if you like, but I'm sure a PM will get you guys going in the right direction. If you're hoping to get people/organizations to kick in big cash or in-kind donations, you may want to go as far as setting up a not-for-profit foundation so that people can get the tax benefits, and/or figure out a way for people to write checks directly to the not-for-profit to which you'll be making the donation.

Of course, skydivers dig free stuff, so raffles with lots of cool big ticket items are always a good thing - I have helped out getting raffle items for Leap for Lupus for the last couple of years, and the trick to that is ask everyone you can think of and ask more than once. Most of the manufacturers I asked were willing to help, but some had to be "reminded" with a second email or phone call to actually get action. Generally found it was easier if I had a personal contact at a company than just cold calling, but I'm sure being in Florida you've already got lots of good contacts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm hoping to gather some fundraising ideas from DZ.commers that have successfully held auctions, solicited donations, etc. This is specifically for a charity event to be held at Skydive City sometime during our Christmas Boogie. ANY and ALL ideas are welcome as I've never done anything like this before.

Lelia & Rick Ginder are long-time Williston / Zhills jumpers. Their youngest son, Dale, was diagnosed in April at the age of 6 with Duchenne, an absolutely heart-breaking disease for a little boy to have. Duchenne is a type of muscular dystrophy (progressive muscle disease) that robs boys of the use of their muscles and strength and eventually their lives. Dale will be in a wheelchair by 11 or 12 years of age. Since the heart and lungs are muscles too, these boys will suffer cardiac and respiratory failure. Boys with Duchenne rarely live past their late teens or early twenties. There is presently no cure for Duchenne. Current treatments are long term and can have difficult, unpleasant and crippling side effects.

100% of all proceeds will go towards Duchenne research, not directly towards any individual or family. Please take a look at www.curedalesduchenne.com, PM me for verification or check out www.skydivecity.com & scroll down the homepage for further information.

Thanks in advance for any advice & suggestions!

Contact some of the manufacture's and ask them to donate things to raffle. Most companys actually set aside stuff just for these types of situations. They do get to write it off after all. Good luck
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Thanks for the posts & PMs everyone! Hmm, I think a raffle is definitely an attractive idea. We also have access to a local band that's just been signed by Maverick (so they don't suck :ph34r:) and I think I'll hit them up as well...

Keep them coming, please!

There's always t-shirts; find somone with a good eye and get them to design one. Then get a person or two to start wearing them; you sell the rest, obviously.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)