Thanatos340

Most Memorable?

Deaf World Record '01, San Marcos TX.
Deaf World Record '03, Perris, CA.
Deaf World Record '05, Lake Wales, FL.
The first Harvest Moon Boogie, St. George, SC late 90's.
Mardi Gras boogies at Gold Coast, various years.

Hey the Harvest Moon Boogies made a couple of these lists.B| We did have a good time. I thrw 9 of them before Jack took over and his were just as good!! Actually Spece's thread got me to pull out a couple of the old vids and remember the good times we had.

Besides, wasn't HMB I where the first Deaf World Record was set???:P

And I will add Quincey Il, '85 I think was the one I had such a great time at...although I had a great time at all of 'em I went too!;)

Chicks Rock 2004 - Awesome group of friends new and old - best times ever.

Summer Solstice in Alaska in 2004 - most amazing sights ever and my most memorable jump - over the glacier then a sighseeing helicopter ride back to the dz followed by the heli jump.

That was my boogie year ;)

Since then it has mostly been events/camps that I go to instead of boogies.

Hey, was that in 1975?

I just found my parking pass from 1985 in Freeport. It includes 10th in the logo claiming it was the tenth FB Boogie. But it lists the years starting with 1975. Which made 1985 the ELEVENTH boogie!:o:SB| Leave it to FBs to not be able to count! Too many shrooms.:D:D:D

1985 also most memorable because of the death of a friend on the home DZ big way load.:|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The Bytch Boogie- although I don't remember it so much because of the skydiving...

That boogie had everything except balloons and explosions.

And it taught me to appreciate not only my friends, but also the non-smell of good water.

Don

And to think I had finally got that smell outta my head......:| Damn that water was nasty!!!!

One hell of a great party though!!!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Hmm...

In a lot of cases, the first time is the best, and though I try to keep an open mind, I wonder if it's just that my excitement about being at a boogie for the first time is what makes it so memorable, or if the boogie really did get worse the next time I went?

1) 2005 DZ.com Memorial Day Boogie. It's funny, as a boogie, this one was pretty low-key... it really felt like just another weekend at Perris. I think there was a BBQ and keg one night, but that was about it as far as boogie shenanigans go. But if I think back to all the good friends that I met there for the first time (skybytch, flyangel2, B2, mjosparky, billvon, dgskydive, champu, genoyamamoto, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting) and all of the cool jumps I got to do (my 100th jump and subsequent pieing, Pixie's famed "human jungle gym" jump ... TWICE, a couple jumps with Sparky before he "retired," my first sunset cross-country), and the fact that a very special relationship started that weekend at the front door of the IHOP;), that one has to go down as the most memorable for me.

2) Lost Prairie ... every year. That one was amazing my first year, but has never, ever failed to disappointed. edited for blonde moment

3) Skyfest 2008 ... even though I resisted Skyfest when it was in Texas because of the heat and finally went when it moved to South Carolina ... and it was 100 fucking degrees :D, I still had an absolute blast. Next year I'm going for a lot longer than just 2 days if I can swing it.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Dropzone.com Boogie '03 in Eloy- there were so many of the old-school dz.commers there, including Sangiro, it was a great time.

That was also my most memorable boogie, and we roomed together! I jumped with my Airspeed friends, whom I had taken my first tunnel camp with a couple of months prior. I remet DZ.commers, whom I had met at the Byron Boogie and at Chick's Rock, as well people from tunnel camp and travels. There was so much love amongst everyone at that boogie, and I felt so welcome, even though I had just over 100 jumps. My final jump was my first 4-way BLOCK with Todd Hawkins (Airspeed) from 15000 at sunset. I have it on video (dagimp). I will always remember how special Todd made that jump.

My next most memorable boogie was Chick's Rock 2006. What a blast! My jello shots raised much for breast cancer, and that made me so happy. The Rockstar party was unforgettable! :)
Also special to me were my Locks of Love fundraisers (Wigs on Fire 1 & 2) at SD Elsinore in Feb. 2006. Crystal came down from Northern California to cut the ladies' hair, and we sent in several ponytails to the Locks of Love foundation, including locks from McBeth, Karen (Kbordson), myself, Nightingale and several others. Many friends, including Orchid, Guppie, Darcy and others helped me set-up, take funds, etc. Melanie Curtis, Karl (DZO), Hammo (DZO) and the rest of the DZ staff and regulars were incredible...so supportive! I have an old blog on my Myspace about it. Skydive Elsinore wins my heart with their love for good causes. Oh, and the Wigs party and wig/costumes were sooo much fun!

My most memorable camps have been all of my tunnel, and my recent Bigway and 100-way camps. We had many Russians, Brits, Brasilians...and many, many World Team flyers. What an amazing group of flyers, and we had an even more impressive group of coaches - Dan B.C., Tony D, Kate, Tom, Larry, Doug Forth! Most of the jumpers were there to accomplish skydiving goals, including myself. It was so special.

Deaf World Record '01, San Marcos TX.
Deaf World Record '03, Perris, CA.
Deaf World Record '05, Lake Wales, FL.
The first Harvest Moon Boogie, St. George, SC late 90's.
Mardi Gras boogies at Gold Coast, various years.

Hey the Harvest Moon Boogies made a couple of these lists.B| We did have a good time. I thrw 9 of them before Jack took over and his were just as good!! Actually Spece's thread got me to pull out a couple of the old vids and remember the good times we had.

Besides, wasn't HMB I where the first Deaf World Record was set???:P

And I will add Quincey Il, '85 I think was the one I had such a great time at...although I had a great time at all of 'em I went too!;)

The harvest moon boogies were the best. I found your dropzone in the dz directory coming home from vacation in N.C. and just wanting to find a place to jump on the way home. I made 2 jumps and the second was sunset. You met we with a beer in the landing area and I knew I had found my second home.:D I brought the bomb squad up for the HMB a couple months later and you guys put on a great boogie. That's when I met Spence and was introduced to the electric 8-way (and moonshine:o)I think we came back 5 more years before Jack closed shop. Every year was bigger and better. I sure do miss that boogie.:(
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

2) Lost Prairie ... every year. That one was amazing my first year, but has never, ever failed to disappoint.

I'm pretty sure you meant something other than what you said. ;)

And I agree with what I think you meant...I've always had a blast at LP. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

WFFC 04. Met Sunshine and Rev. Jim for the first time. She tried to kill me, he didn't:). Team Benton built some good skydives around me so that I could feel successful. That may be the year that I met Viking, but he was handing out free beer and that part's a little fuzzz

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

2) Lost Prairie ... every year. That one was amazing my first year, but has never, ever failed to disappoint.

And I agree with what I think you meant...I've always had a blast at LP, except in 2008. ;)

Blues,
Dave

Fixed it for ya! :P:P;)
'Shell

And I agree with what I think you meant...I've always had a blast at LP. ;)

Blues,
Dave

Yeah, uh, that doesn't make much sense, does it? I had to re-read it about five times to realize why it made no sense.

Blonde moment. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

WFFC 04. Met Sunshine and Rev. Jim for the first time. She tried to kill me, he didn't[Smile].

You have no choice but to remember that...you prolly still have roadrash. :D:P

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

One of Make that the most memorable jump I ever made was the demo into Kitty Hawk... :)

100 years to the day after Wilbur and Orville got high there. B|

It was a boogie-like atmosphere weekend, 100 demo jumpers, most of whom had never met, a few rushed practice jumps with top-notch organizers and off to to Kill Devil Hill.

Everything went like 'Butter'

~and a visually ingrained image of a lifetime, looking down in free-fall where it all started. . . imagining the spirit of those two looking back up at us and smiling! B|B|B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The harvest moon boogies were the best. I found your dropzone in the dz directory coming home from vacation in N.C. and just wanting to find a place to jump on the way home. I made 2 jumps and the second was sunset. You met we with a beer in the landing area and I knew I had found my second home. I brought the bomb squad up for the HMB a couple months later and you guys put on a great boogie. That's when I met Spence and was introduced to the electric 8-way (and moonshine)I think we came back 5 more years before Jack closed shop. Every year was bigger and better. I sure do miss that boogie.

You weren't special, I met everybody in the landing area with a beer!!!:P

Yeah, St. George and HMB...Maybe Spence should give it a try!!;)

As far as boogies go, June '03 at Thomaston. Drove down there in the rain the night before, with the forecast not looking too good. On Saturday I made my first helicopter jump in between weather holds. The video is beautiful, with the bottom layer of puffy clouds at 1000'. They only got four helicopter loads and two King Air loads up before the rain compelled an early beer light. (Trivia - this was the day of Roger Nelson's canopy collision in Illinois.) The next day I made my third high-altitude jump from the King Air. The best two-jump boogie I've ever experienced.

While not actually a boogie, a top contender for most memorable weekend was at the Ranch in '04 a few days after my new rig finally arrived. After visiting family, etc. on Long Island I camped at the DZ a couple of days and did a few solos, learning to pack zero-p and enjoying the DZ experience (except for the packing torture.) After jumping my Wonderhog for many years it was great to walk among a few hundred skydivers and not get noticed.

Cheers,
Jon

The harvest moon boogies were the best. I found your dropzone in the dz directory coming home from vacation in N.C. and just wanting to find a place to jump on the way home. I made 2 jumps and the second was sunset. You met we with a beer in the landing area and I knew I had found my second home. I brought the bomb squad up for the HMB a couple months later and you guys put on a great boogie. That's when I met Spence and was introduced to the electric 8-way (and moonshine)I think we came back 5 more years before Jack closed shop. Every year was bigger and better. I sure do miss that boogie.

You weren't special, I met everybody in the landing area with a beer!!!:P

Yeah, St. George and HMB...Maybe Spence should give it a try!!;)

I have thought about it. Too bad they dismantled everything including all of the RV plug hookups when they closed the DZ.

I was thinking about HMB tonight while I was watching the moon rise.

:)The WFFC Boogies from 2002-2006 Rantoul, IL beginning skydiving, AFF jumps, first 3 way with my bud Steve and Dan of the Golden Knights, first helicopter jump, first jet jump, Rodriguez jump and all the great parties.
Rodriguez Brothers Boogie in 2007, Chester SC.  Back to where I finished AFF and made my first solo jumps.  Great to see all the Chester peeps again.  Made a Muff Brother, Hell Fish and Team Dirty Sanchez jump.
Couch Freaks - 2006 - 2008, Fort Dodge Ia.  Great fun and laid back atmoshpere at this boogie.  Fun people and parties.
StreakerB|
Have a yippee ki ya day!

Well although Ive been at a lot of the boogies mentioned here, and had a blast, I will have to concur with Krisanne that my 1st was probably the most memorable. In 2000 I had done a tandem and wanted to do AFF so a friend of mine who was a jumper said you can do it at this "event" in Quincy IL. So I flew up there solo to meet him there (he was going to rent an RV) I got there thur night while they were still setting up so I slept in my car (my friend didnt show up until fri). Fri morning I went and registered for AFF with Doug and Todd from Chicagoland and it all began.

I went there having no expectations and was totally overwhelmed, the people, Rod's Jet Ranger, Mullins King Air, hot air balloons, so many crazy planes, the night parties, the people, the super cell storm that came through and leveled the big top tents and everything not nailed down, hearing Mullins KA fire up and take up a load within 10 minutes after the cell had passed, seeing a 60 way from the ground and being amazed that I could hear it traveling through the air when it was built, basically living on the DZ for ten days with everything you needed within a golf cart ride... I left there a licensed skydiver and things havent been the same since. The next weekend back home I went to my local DZ to jump and thought it would be like it was at the WFFC I had no idea that it wasnt like that everywhere.

Also interesting was WFFC 2001 the following year, my then girlfriend now wife had just gotten off AFF and we forged her logbook (not a good idea, but it is what it is) so she could jump there... We were flat broke but we loaded up the car with tents and anything that would fit and headed to Quincy. Ten days in a tent in the Qunicy heat. Hot and broke but good times none the less!! Many memories there.

One memory stands out, we were partying one night and we had a strobe and glow sticks and this guy with a long Mohawk wanders up. We start talking to him and the conversation comes to what hes doing here, he says "hes here to swoop". I ask "thats your job?" he says "yes, well it will be!" So one of my friends standing there listening in gets paranoid and says "no one swoops as a job, he is local FIVE-O trying to bust some skydivers" The next day we are watching the practice for the swoop comp and here comes "five-O" carving across the pond. I look at my friend and give him shit... Well of course it turned out to be PDs Jay Moledzki... Yea Five-O, in retrospect very funny. Sorry Jay...