ltdiver

Is your glass half empty or half full?

We're all different types here in our skydiving world, yet it seems that there are more positive and optimistic souls in our sport than negative ones.

Maybe it's our genetics, or perhaps something created by the atmosphere which rubs off on us the more we hang around it all.

Are we a more prone to be a 1/2 full crowd? Or are there some who's glass is always 1/2 empty?

Found this little gem on-line tonight and took the test myself. Interesting if you answer truthfully.

Is Your Glass Half Empty or Half Full?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

If you don't accept that, then consider that the glass is ALWAYS full. Maybe it's not full of exactly what you want at the time, but if it's not filled with H2O, it's still filled with Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2 and some other trace elements.

There's almost always another way of looking at a particular situation.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll play:)

Half-Full Glass
You try to look on the bright side, and optimism is a skill you've cultivated to help you weather life's rough spots. All the same, you know it's okay to admit when you're angry or hurt. You're neither blindly positive, nor prone to dwell on slights and injuries, and your generally positive outlook helps prepare you to take risks without being held back by bitterness or a fear of failure. Believe it or not, some scientists have theorized that there is an evolutionary advantage to optimism: Human beings may be programmed to view the world as just slightly better than it actually is, in order to recognize clearly any real threats to our well-being and handle them appropriately. Your ability to rise above negative thinking while remaining realistic about temporary setbacks is a great strength.

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Me :-

Half-Full Glass
You try to look on the bright side, and optimism is a skill you've cultivated to help you weather life's rough spots. All the same, you know it's okay to admit when you're angry or hurt. You're neither blindly positive, nor prone to dwell on slights and injuries, and your generally positive outlook helps prepare you to take risks without being held back by bitterness or a fear of failure. Believe it or not, some scientists have theorized that there is an evolutionary advantage to optimism: Human beings may be programmed to view the world as just slightly better than it actually is, in order to recognize clearly any real threats to our well-being and handle them appropriately. Your ability to rise above negative thinking while remaining realistic about temporary setbacks is a great strength.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

But what is the glass half full of?

+1.

That is the question.
I hate pinappple so if someone forces a drink of pineapple juice on me in a way that i cannot possibly refuse politely then it's "Thank GOD the glass is half empty..

Does dat make me a pessimist?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

The glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

If you don't accept that, then consider that the glass is ALWAYS full. Maybe it's not full of exactly what you want at the time, but if it's not filled with H2O, it's still filled with Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2 and some other trace elements.

There's almost always another way of looking at a particular situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_the_glass_half_empty_or_half_full%3F

Wikipedia already thought of that...:D

"This expression can also be used to identify people willing to think out of the box, as they may respond that the glass is in fact the wrong size."

That's okay, I prefer my friends not be in boxes...

ltdiver

I'm neither. It says my glass if overflowing. :D

I'm overflowing as well.

Overflowing Glass
Optimism is a way of life for you — in fact, you look so hard for the bright side that you run the risk of being blinded by the light. While there's certainly nothing wrong with keeping your spirits up, there's also nothing wrong with acknowledging disappointments and hurts. Putting a positive spin on almost everything is a strenuous effort, and chances are you feel pressured to do karmic damage control not just for yourself, but also for others who have come to rely on your cheerleading abilities. In the end, your positivity is a precious resource that you must conserve and protect. Think of it as an overflowing glass of water: How much energy do you have to expend just to keep any liquid from spilling? A better focus for that energy might be training yourself to ride out (rather than deny) inevitable difficulties, trusting that your irrepressible spirit is up to the challenge.

I'm overflowing as well.

Overflowing Glass
Optimism is a way of life for you — in fact, you look so hard for the bright side that you run the risk of being blinded by the light. While there's certainly nothing wrong with keeping your spirits up, there's also nothing wrong with acknowledging disappointments and hurts. Putting a positive spin on almost everything is a strenuous effort, and chances are you feel pressured to do karmic damage control not just for yourself, but also for others who have come to rely on your cheerleading abilities. In the end, your positivity is a precious resource that you must conserve and protect. Think of it as an overflowing glass of water: How much energy do you have to expend just to keep any liquid from spilling? A better focus for that energy might be training yourself to ride out (rather than deny) inevitable difficulties, trusting that your irrepressible spirit is up to the challenge.

Yeah, but I don't agree with their take on my outlook. I think it takes more muscles to frown. Worry is useless and doesn't get you anything or anywhere. It's always better to be happy than sad. I'm not denying anything. I just think it's easier to be happy and optimistic.

I've never understood that whole glass is half empty or half full thing. Now I know why. There IS SOMETHING in the glass. It is what it is. Be happy you have some!! Makes no difference the full or empty thing. It's just a glass with liquid in it. Drink up and be happy! :DB|

Sooo... does that make you a pessimist for taking too small a glass, or an optimist for thinking the liquid will fit?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I'm overflowing as well.

Overflowing Glass
It's those rubberbands again!! :D:D:D
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Think of it as an overflowing glass of water: How much energy do you have to expend just to keep any liquid from spilling?

Interesting. I wonder how many people try to actually walk on egg shells, thinking they can do it? What happens to their psyche when one of the egg shells breaks?

ltdiver