simplyputsi

Stupid question about network and working at home

Ok I'll try to make this short.
My roommate was fired from his job. At first his boss was citing economic issues, but it became quite clear that it was something else a few days after. Speculation is that his boss is gay and that he is mad my roommate got a new girlfriend and so he fired him. Pure speculation, but the guy sure is acting like he is hurt, taking stuff back he gave as a gift, and being a friggen ASS!.

So anyway, my roommate worked from home for this guy. He used a laptop provided from that guys company, hooked up to my internet/network. I want to know if I have a legal right to ask for internet usage fees while this went on. I also want to know if the information sent and received through my network is technically mine and so I could choose to keep or delete it at will regardless if it was stored on a company provided laptop?

I know it sounds a little far fetched, but if I truly have a legal right to either I might at least mention it to the former boss and tell him to go fuck himself.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

The laptop was given back. The problem is the guy is trying to say information was deleted that was company property. My argument is that it's not because it was obtained over my network that I pay for. If he was paying for it I could see how that might be a problem, but I did not receive one penny.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

between roomie and former employer.

and ownership depends on the information and the method he was connecting to their network. secure VPN? most likely theirs.
PROVING there is missing info and what it might actually be is another challenge as well.
My guess is this will (and should) go nowhere.
Depending on the missing information though...

I would not think it belonged to you anymore than content traveling over an ISP's network belongs to the ISP.

You allowed the content into your network but could have easily blocked it and in doing so, would you still have ownership? When you go to Starbucks and download something from work, confidential & proprietary trade secret stuff over the SB WiFi, do you think Starbucks now owns it?

I'm not a lawyer but common sense tells me that if an ISP cannot be held responsible for traffic over their network (read Napster vs whoever), then you don't own the stuff your roomate on his company laptop.

edit: That should be Recording dickheads of World v Napster I guess.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

ISP's have acceptable use policies that you agree to - whether you realize it or not.
home networks are another legal world entirely.

there's also a chance roomie signed an agreement with the former company for use of the computer and the ownership of info on it.