Andre1

Canopy Design on Top Skin

Does anyone have a canopy with a design on the top skin? Does anyone know of a manufacturer that can do a design for the top skin? Finally, does anyone know where I can purchase enough material for two cells where the design is painted alongside the original color?

I ordered a triathlon and they say they can only do a design on the bottom skin. My design will be on cells 1 and 2 of a 7 cell canopy.

I have been told by very respected people in the sport that if there was a design on the top skin the canopy will not fly straight and would have to be adjusted by toggles (not what I want). The only other option is to paint the design when they initially color the fabric. Because the canopy is made in South Africa and canopy manufacturers buy fabric in large rolls this may not be possible.

Thanks

Where there is a will there is a way.

paint is the easiest, but the paint must be of a quality which does not modify the texture of the fabric. You can ask to a sailmaker.

we used to have the logo of our sponsor on the spinnaker and the main sail of the boat. Never faded or cracked or anything after 2 seasons.

might also be less bulky than added threads. You can see quite rad designs on paragliders. I think everything is possible for the design, it's just a question of know-how and money and time...

there might be a downside which would be the resistance to opening and high inside pressure...

But I'm in NO WAY a canopy manufacturer... Ask them, ask different manufacturers, different possibilites (sowing, painting...)

edited to add : oh yeah, please also post a drawing/scheme of your design so we can have an idea.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

edited to add : oh yeah, please also post a drawing/scheme of your design so we can have an idea.

--------------------------------------------------------

It is in a winzip format and I can not figure out how to post it. Basically, cells 1 and 2 are navy blue and there are six white stars on each cell.

Thanks for your advice.

I think you mean Royal Blue, don't you? That is 'flag' blue.

I like it when the first 3 or 4 cells is blue, then alternating red/white. B|
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have a canopy from Performance Variable.
It' a demon and it has a design on the top skin and on the bottom skin.
I also know the PD is also doing this on request but it will cost around 500 $ extra. I saw it once on their old website but it's not there anymore. I believe that they used F111 fabric for this. I'm not sure if they will do this for canopies other then PD do.

The file is too large to upload. Sorry about that.

please resize.... :|

and if it's not USA, is it Evil Knievel ??

Oh and if it's just stars, you can do them out of repair ripstop (will stick and not affect the material)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This is a follow up to my original post. I am posting this to those that were interested. I also hope if someone were to do a future search on the topic of a canopy with a custom design of a country’s flag they will find this information useful.

I contacted Allan Hewitt of Sky Science in Spain. He designed and flew the canopy in the James Bond film, “Die Another Day”. If you remember, the canopy had a Union Jack on the top and bottom skin. His company will be doing my design. He stated the flight characteristics will not be affected because he uses the "appliqué method" for the design.

Aerodyne will deliver my Triathlon with no design. My cells will be blue, blue, red, white, red, white and red on the top and bottom skin. I will ship my canopy to Mr. Hewitt in Spain. He will add six white stars to the two blue cells. This will be a total of 24 white stars.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this.

….there is a way

Ouch.. for that cost you might as well just buy a second used canopy to replace that one when you downsize from it.

Also kiss that money goodbye if you ever sell the canopy since no one will pay extra for that on a used canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, really, keep in mind that you'll most likey want to downsize from this canopy fairly soon. This is often why it's suggested that newbies NOT buy new gear, as they will be changing it up too soon for it to be worth it.

Also, what if the Triathalon turns out not to be the canopy for you? Unitl you have a handful of jumps on various canopies, you'll never know what really floats your boat for the long haul.

Even then, canopies don't last forever, and neither do the logos people put on them. One cutaway, and it could all be gone.

It seems like a misguided investment, that would make ALOT more sense if it was saved for a future canopy. Anyway good luck with whatever you do, and post pics if you do get it (air to air of course because you can't see the topskin from the ground).

I am getting a Triathlon 190 and I will be at a wingloading of 1.0. I had long talks with my instructors about how long I will be at 1.0. I am (and my DZ) satisfied with my purchase. It is what I want. I like nice, soft, safe and forgiving landings for now. I have been riding a 600cc sportbike motorcycle for 4 years. I am about to get another 600cc sportbike motorcycle. All of my friends tell me I want the Yamaha R1 or the Honda CBR1000RR (both 1000cc). No…I will be happy with a Yamaha R6 (600cc) bike. I rather ride the heck out of a R6 than kill myself on a R1.

At my DZ my instructors and experienced jumpers have the high performance canopies and I watch them fly them. I prefer to learn to fly the Triathlon 190 and get real good at that. I talked to jumpers flying Triathlons at my DZ and read the reviews on the canopy. I am happy with my purchase.

Some people like Ferraris and some like Mazda Miatas. I will certainly post pictures.

Thanks

some of our onyx canopy has <><> both top and bottom, as does our new prototype in testing (no name yet).

we can do top skin designs but it is a pain and would not be economical for a one off custom.

sincerely
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)