alanab

who is good with cars?

so i was on half a tank today and saw cheap gas, so i decided to fill up the rest of the way. as the gas was pumping i got back in my car and turned the key half way so i could listen to my music. well, once the tank was full, i made sure it was full (like i always do), by pumping the last few cents into the tank. anyways, so i get back in my car and drove away and the gas gauge stayed at 3/4 tank, where it had moved to when i turned my key to listen to music. it is not reading a full tank, but i am sure it's full. what the hell? any ideas?

nope, 2001 honda civic.
this is the first time i've had a problem with it. i thought it might have something to do with turning the key while i was pumping.

i also pulled over 2 times to stop/start as well as driving around more before i went to work and it stayed the same.

i'm not device dependent, i'm just wondering wtf happened.

Ill post back with more info on it later, but a few of the civics have sending units that stick. basically there is a potentiometer in the sending unit (at the fuel tank) and for some reason it wont read above 3/4 of a tank (which i think is about 3.5 volts to the gauge)

Personally i wouldnt worry about it, keep track of how much gas is in the car, and assuming it works properly (most do) below 3/4 a tank, id just run with it.

another thing as said before, dont fill your tank up so full, just let it click and then hang it up. common problem. i cant tell you how many evap leaks i've chased because of people filling there cars up until its pouring out. get the canister apart and find a gallon of 93.

let me know if you have any more questions, im fairly familiar with honda/acura products :D also i can try to find a price for ya if need be.

Whlie it is almost impossible to diagnose this concern over the internet....

The EVAP system allows air to vent through a charcol canister to let fuel be put in the tank and to keep the tank from collasping as fuel is being drawn from it....the onboard diagnostic system closes this vent under certain opperating conditions to test the EVAP system for leaks....

By having the key on the system may have gone into test mode and shut the vent soleniod not allowing you to fill the tank the rest of the way...

Did the check engine light come on??

I would try and fill the tank again...this time leave the key off as you are supposed too ;) if the tank is indeed full then there may be a problem with the sending unit,guage etc etc...

your gauge (assuming that it is really incorrect) is like my altimeter, at 12K it is off by 500' and at 20K it is off by +/- 1,000 ft

not a problem as long as it is a accurate near the bottom - dead on at 6K

same for a gas guage, no problem if it is accurate near the bottom
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I'd say jump it a couple of times "Streets of San Francisco" style and see if it unsticks the float.:)

She's way too young to remmebr that show:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?