peek

Watch for Deer in the Road!

Please folks, watch for deer in the road.

It's that time of year in many places. The deer get frisky and they are traveling all over the place including the roadways.

I just got off the phone with a skydiver that hit a large buck Monday night, on his motorcycle no less. I think he's lucky to be alive.

He swerved just enough that the deer hit his left side and broke his lower leg. And believe it or not, he didn't even go down. He rode to the side of the road and had to stand on his good leg in extreme pain until a motorist came along to help him get the kickstand down.

So he is getting out of the hospital today with a rod in his leg and months of not being able to put weight on it. What a way to end the skydiving season.

He had just been talking to another skydiver we know who rides a motorcycle to the DZ about needing to watch for deer. He was watching, but the deer jumped out in front of him so fast it didn't matter. And it came from the river side of the road which was much less expected.

Good point! When my friend and I were driving to the Hog Flop last week (late at night), we took a way that map quest insisted was closer and faster (they were smoking crack...but that is another story). Anyway, while going thru the Ocala Forest, we so no less than 10 deer, we also had no signals on our cell phones... it was nerve racking to say the least... we came home down I-4.

I almost hit 2 of them at the dz when i was cruizin down the trail by the tree line last weekend. It was like the commercial where all the animals are screaming becuase they almost hit a squirrel.:D
The whole area was scattering for their lives.:D

I'll go slower next time.

I very nearly hit a huge deer driving home from CSC on Ill. Rte. 30 just east of Big Rock this last Saturday night. It was a huge male with antlers. If I had hit it, I would have been badly injured or worse. I almost spilled my beer swerving around it.

It's not very fun to hit a deer.... I've "killed" 2 of those now... Car was in the body shop for a week each time for repairs [:/]

The whole area around our DZ is loaded with game... Wild bore, deers and moose.
I was so close hitting the ass of a moose some time ago.. The damn thing just stepped right out in front of thwe car.... Thanks to VW for putting ABS on my ride ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Please folks, watch for deer in the road.

It's that time of year in many places. The deer get frisky and they are traveling all over the place including the roadways.

I just got off the phone with a skydiver that hit a large buck Monday night, on his motorcycle no less. I think he's lucky to be alive.

He swerved just enough that the deer hit his left side and broke his lower leg. And believe it or not, he didn't even go down. He rode to the side of the road and had to stand on his good leg in extreme pain until a motorist came along to help him get the kickstand down.

So he is getting out of the hospital today with a rod in his leg and months of not being able to put weight on it. What a way to end the skydiving season.

He had just been talking to another skydiver we know who rides a motorcycle to the DZ about needing to watch for deer. He was watching, but the deer jumped out in front of him so fast it didn't matter. And it came from the river side of the road which was much less expected.

I drive the BIG truck this time of year so i can kill those bastards ,but good, no slowing down. Besides the big truck makes it further into the field when i have swerve to hit them, I mean miss them, yeah miss them, thats it!
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

I have hit one and had 3 near misses, all forcing me to slam the brakes. The one time I hit a deer, over 10 years ago, it was a doe and started to cross the road from the far side. I sped up to get ahead of it because I didn't have time to stop and let the fucker bounce off the side. Nice head-sized dent in the left front quarter panel and blood/fur on my driver's side door. Fucker ran off before I could get out and check on it.

Deers in Alabama are pretty small. There's so fucking many of them around and not enough vegetation for them to feed on, like up north where they're fucking huge.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Your right Billy, whitetails around my neck of the woods get scary big.

I totalled by first car on a big buck in NJ when I was 17. Hit it going about 80, it got up, shook it off and stared me down through the window, and then ran of to die in the woods.

Pretty crazy shit!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

all I can say is don't try and swerve, you can loose control of the car and DIE

hit the deer and deal with the mess

if you see one crossing the road and no one diectly is behind you, hit the brakes because there are most likely a few more coming
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Get those deer whistles that you mount on the bumper. But whatever you do, read the directions !! When I got my first set, I installed them backwards. I hit 4 deer the first week !!

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

No shit. I travel 'Deer Alley' (Highway 53 North from Eau Claire, WI to Superior, WI) all the time. Saw one lurking in the ditch and one crossing the road tonight on my way back.

There are deer everywhere on Hwy 53 in northern MN/Wi right now! If I hit one with my car, my car will be totalled for sure!