futuredivot

My girl's not good

I found Macy stray about 7 years ago. She's been blind for the last year and getting more feeble. Today she couldn't tell where I was when I called her and she couldn't find her dish. I had to lead her head down to eat. The vet assures us that she's not in a lot of pain but now everytime I leave, I suspect she won't be here when I get back. Here's from a few years ago
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Our Sheltie daisy is very similar, she has cancer in her leg and she is to old to risk operating. Shes got doggie pain killers, so shes on cloud nine all day and appears to be in no pain at all, but as the weeks go by shes starting to get weaker and weaker. (having trouble going up stairs, getting up after laying down a while, ect...) The vet tells us that we will know when she starts to be in pain, and also assures us that shes in none right now. Either way it sucks and i feel your pain. I wish you the best of luck bud

-Kevin

I found Macy stray about 7 years ago. She's been blind for the last year and getting more feeble. Today she couldn't tell where I was when I called her and she couldn't find her dish. I had to lead her head down to eat. The vet assures us that she's not in a lot of pain but now everytime I leave, I suspect she won't be here when I get back. Here's from a few years ago

I've worked with several blind(or, mostly blind) dogs before.

When you call them, if they are having problems, try calling again with a lower tone.
It worked with one dog in particular. You'd kind of say her name after you called her with a deep voice, and she could locate where the sound was coming from.

Good luck. As far as I'm concerned if the dog seems happy and pain free, then keep them around as long as possible.

Sorry to hear that. :( She looks like a cutie. I went through the same thing with my one dog about 8 years ago. She was really bad off. Bad back, no teeth, cataracs (pretty much blind), arthritis and we're pretty sure she had a couple seizures at some point in time. It was really sad because we put her and my other dog in the kennel when we went on vacation for christmas. The day after christmas the vet called and told us she had passed on christmas day but didn't want to ruin our holiday so he waited a day to tell us. Loosing a close pet is never easy. :(:( My thoughts are with you.

That is one of life's most difficult moments. Quality of life does not always equal "not in a lot of pain". Trust yourself and Liz to know what needs to be done when the time is right.
You all will be in my thoughts.:(:)

Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Aw, man, I'm sorry to read your dog's health is failing. Be a comfort to her and just ... remembering that you loved each other. When it's time for her to go, that's all you really need to know, apart from the fact that everyone has to go eventually. Best wishes.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

If her hearing is still ok just say the words she knows when you can. The one word that all dogs know is their name and it is very comforting for them to hear it. Touching is also very comforting. As pack animals wild dogs would abandon a pack member in this condition - talking to her and touching her reassures her that she is still part of your pack.

It'll help you too.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

The bad part is that I'm gone so much that when i am home for a few days I can really tell how bad she's doing. She just flat can't get around and it's painful to watch her try. I don't see how she can be pain free-every step seems like it take so much out of her[:/]

You are only as strong as the prey you devour