jtnesbitt

Pulled by a boat?

OK, so I have heard of people hooking canopies with ropes up to battery carts, golf carts, pick up trucks, etc and flying their canopy in strong winds, but has anyone has any experience doing it with a boat? I'm obviously not talking about paragliding, i'm talking about attaching a sport canopy to like a ski bar of a boat with a rope.

Anyone done it? Thoughts?
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I wanna try it :P

So far the things that I am concerned about are:

-hard turn into the water and getting entangled
-getting pulled by the boat after hitting the water

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

OK, so I have heard of people hooking canopies with ropes up to battery carts, golf carts, pick up trucks, etc and flying their canopy in strong winds, but has anyone has any experience doing it with a boat? I'm obviously not talking about paragliding, i'm talking about attaching a sport canopy to like a ski bar of a boat with a rope.

Anyone done it? Thoughts?

this has been discussed a bunch ...

you need a payout winch, lots of rope and a very capable pilot with a very VERY bombproof and fast way to cutaway.

squares are susceptible to more problems than the rounds, so watch out..

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=994699

Also growing a third testicle from the Ohio river pollution.

Yeah it's pretty bad but we go wakeboarding in it all the time. Not third nut...yet:S

Also growing a third testicle from the Ohio river pollution.

Fuck why not, if you dont try you'll never know B|

The Ohio river isnt nearly as bad as the Fox river (chicago) and if 13 drunk hellfish can survive swimming in that shit, then he should be ok possibly going for a dip in the Ohio....:P:P

I've seen a video on skydivingmovies.com of some friends of mine from atlanta doing it behind a van using a large square on a cloudy day...

ultimately doing it behind a boat would probably be a little bit safer but probably not much safer... it's still a pretty stupid idea...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

it's still a pretty stupid idea...

No really if done correctly. Parascending is a well established and controlled sport.

The 'rounds' are not parachutes which are designed to descend...they make 'look' the same at first.

And with squares...well I'd use an OLD big one that is more forgiving....as for the 3rd nut, sometimes more IS better! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'll plead the 5th with my knowledge on the subject. never tried personally but i have incriminating evidence... the cutaway is vital on the tow rope... and use a big f*cking canopy.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

....as for the 3rd nut, sometimes more IS better! :ph34r:

Haha, I don't really agree with that. I don't know if people would be able to put up with me if I were any more nuts ;)

I've seen a video on skydivingmovies.com of some friends of mine from atlanta doing it behind a van using a large square on a cloudy day...

ultimately doing it behind a boat would probably be a little bit safer but probably not much safer... it's still a pretty stupid idea...

What amazed me was the attention to the what if's. They made sure the cutaway was working properly and would work properly under a load. Plus I think the wingloading on the canopy was like .5 :P

The question on the boat is this; how do you plan to get going? On land you would run with the pulling source, not possible on a boat.
I think the best way would be to have a boat capable of 40-50 mph stand at the back and toss the pilot chute out and hope for the best.

I'm kidding on that last part
Skymama's #2 stalker -

In the last 7 years there have been 4-5 deaths from doing this over land... do the math. ;)

I would love to do the math but I need all the numbers first, like how many attempts there are. From reading other threads apperently it happens over land a lot more than i thought. I still think water would be a little safer.

But what am I talking about, since when did numbers mean anything to people that play with parachutes? :P

it's still a pretty stupid idea...

No really if done correctly. Parascending is a well established and controlled sport.

The 'rounds' are not parachutes which are designed to descend...they make 'look' the same at first.

And with squares...well I'd use an OLD big one that is more forgiving....as for the 3rd nut, sometimes more IS better! :ph34r:
Which was my point exactly... parasailing uses canopies specifically designed for being towed...

What amazed me was the attention to the what if's. They made sure the cutaway was working properly and would work properly under a load. Plus I think the wingloading on the canopy was like .5 :P
I know... I think I was actually there when they were considering it a few times before... but it still doesn't seem like too bright of an idea...

:P

Yeah I have to agree that being pulled behind a vehicle doesn't sound appealing.

People do crazy things all the time though, and it works out just fine. The other times, well that is what fills up those extreme crashes shows.

Very True...

Joe,

Be sure to get video... :P:D

Scott