Superman32

Skyhook and camera

I'll be buying a rig with the skyhook and plan to eventually jump camera.
Is it prudent to disconnect it as you would with standard RSL?

When you are ready to jump camera (in about another 150 jumps or so maybe.. or even later) you can always re-evaluate that.
Right now having an RSL / skyhook is a good idea, there is no reason not to have it on your gear.

Iwan

Is it prudent to disconnect it as you would with standard RSL?

Yes.

-jp-

Wouldn't the specific camera setup and helmet be major factors to consider? What if someone is jumping a system that's virtually snagproof - like an FF2 with a lens that doesn't extend past the sidemount box or a bullet cam?

I understand why standard RSL's, the SkyHook, and typical camera setups don't mix; but I can't help but wonder why a low-profile camera setup like an FF2 without a sight ring, without an SLR, and doesn't have the wide angle lens sticking out of the sidemount box shouldn't be used with a SkyHook. With this type of low-profile setup, would you say that it's OK to jump with a SkyHook? If not, why?

Most cameramen would not jump with the Skyhook.

The inventor, and producer of the Skyhook thinks most cameramen are wrong. Of course, he is trying to sell them...

_Am

Now, now.....he does state, he doesn't jump camera.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I sent in this question to skydiveradio, since Bill will be on the program next week... If more people want to hear Bill answer this in his own words, here is the info from another thread on how to send in questions. Perhaps if more than one of us asks, the question will be asked...

The question I asked, in case you have some sub or follow-up questions:

I have a Vector with a skyhook. I am starting to think about flying a camera helmet, one with very little snag points, like the FF2. Traditionally RSLs are a no-no for camera helmets... What are your opinions as to the safety of a skyhook system with essentially a bulkier but almost snag free helmet??? Risks versus Rewards??? What are the biggest risks one faces with a skyhook RSL and entanglements of any kind?

I know Bill HAS answered this many times on the forums, but a two way conversation between the hosts and Bill should yeild some more incite into why he thinks what he does...

Bill Booth will be our guest on Skydive Radio next week. We will be discussing topics such as the evolution of equipment and the new Skyhook RSL system in particular. If you have questions or comments for Bill you can email them to us at [email protected] or leave them on our voicemail line at 206.600.JUMP(5867) and we will work them into the conversation. Please have your questions to us no later than Sunday night, November 20th.

-Dave

I have a Micron w/ the skyhook I jump a bonehead narrow camera helmet and I unhook my RSL everytime I jump camera, just taking a chance of a snag even with a cutaway system on my helmet, I still prefer to cutaway the main then pull my reserve.

Have you thanked the rigger that saved your life!
IAD-I, AFF-I, Coach, MFFI566