jhilden

Skytronic GFX opinions

I'm up to 31 jumps now and I think it's finally time to start collecting some gear. I don't have $2000+ to drop on a used rig right now so I figure I'll start small with an altimiter.

I really like the look of the SKYTRONIC GFX because for the time being I would like to use it as a wrist mount but eventually I would like to get an audible; I figure this solves both scenarios.

What's really selling me on the GFX are the logbook features. The problem around my dropzone is that this thing is so new no one knows anything about it, so I look to the greatk dropzone.com for user opinions. Should I get this one? Or maybe a Protrack (which from what I've heard has basically the same logbook features)? All opinions welcome, if you haven't seen the GFX here's a link:

http://www.para-gear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=5&level=1

If you're looking for a visual/audible altimeter with logging, my advice would be to get a Neptune. Among other things, it's been around for two years now so you wouldn't be among the first jumpers to test a new toy, plus it has updateable firmware, so it keeps getting better and better...

The Skytronic GFX is substantially equivalent, with respect to features, as the Alti-2 Neptune. I haven't jumped it, so I can't tell you how well it works in freefall, but I have played with one a bit. First impression is that it is far more user friendly than the Pro-Track/Pro-Dytter, but not as easy to figure out as the Neptune.

The Pro-Track has logbook features, but not visual altimeter features. None of the new Larsen Brusgaard products expected to be out soon have the same features. The Alti-Track has logbook capabilities, but no audible warnings. The Viso and the Optima have different features, as well.

Essentially, The Neptune and the GFX are the only two choices available to those that want it all in their audible altimeter, from a real time visual readout to a logbook. Both are water resistant, as well.

For Great Deals on Gear