RALFFERS

Vision - 20/32

Is that good, bad...ugly even? (scratches head) :S

My latest eye exam was yesterday, and those are the results (with glasses.)

Is that enough to start considering lasik?
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

id think the better question would be how well can you see without glasses. i know plenty of people that just use glasses to drive and what not.

personally, i forget my perscription but i will walk into walls without contacts. i cant stand glasses, but regardless, im waiting about another year to get the surgery.

Thing is - I can get by without glasses altogether. I have no problem seeing objects on the road, so avoidance is not an issue. Reading street names is the only thing that gets a little tricky, but only at times; but for that, GPS is your friend... ;)

Unless your doc uses some archaic eye chart, it's 20/30 visual acuity :)
Is this without glasses or contacts? Visual acuity is not related to prescription... people who are farsighted may see 20/20 without glasses, but they still need the glasses to keep from getting headaches/eyestrain. 20/20 isn't a real meaningful number. Especially in your case with the neuro history... there's a LOT more to vision than that.

What do you see WITH glasses or contacts... 20/20, or still 20/30ish? What matters is what you correct to. If you don't correct to 20/20, is it due to neuro reasons or something else?

In a majority of states, you are legal to drive with 20/40 vision or better in the better seeing eye (assuming you have full visual fields, again with the neuro history, you may or may not), which you do qualify for.

With regard to LASIK.... a successful refractive procedure is 20/40 or better.... so why go through the risk of surgery to gain functionally nothing.

The bottom line is that the line you read on the chart is pretty meaningless. The only thing it matters for is doctor documentation. It's not related to how you function on a daily basis, what your prescription is, whether or not you are a candidate for refractive surgery, or other eye health issues.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

If I remember correctly (been a while since i checked), 20/40 corrected vision is good enough for a 3rd class FAA medical. Just something to use as a comparison. I'd say you just need new glasses. Get lasik if you want to stop wearing glasses. :)
Dave

Not necessarily... remember, a successful LASIK is considered 20/40 or better without glasses... he already sees better than a 'successful' LASIK outcome, no ethical surgeon would touch him.

I didn't realize Lasik was considered successful if you came out 20/40 or better. Interesting...

The prescription for my contacts is -8.50 in one eye, -7.50 in the other. Quite nearsighted. But I'm still too chicken to get surgery for it!

WOW...that's a lot. Here I am asking about lasik because of my 20/32 vision...which translates to -0.5 in my left eye, & -1.0 in my right

I'm no expert, but [if you're concerned with the safety of the procedure] I'm sure it's a lot better than when it came out 10 years ago. Honestly, I never heard of any problems with it from day 1.

Something to consider.

My script was -15 myopia with 1.5 astigmatism about 10 yrs ago and my doc used me as an "experiment" because he hadn't had a patient with my severity of blindness yet. I was so blind without contacts or glasses that I had to feel the wall to find the bathroom in the middle of the night. He brought me up to a 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25 in my right eye on the first Lasik procedure. He gave me the expectation that it might take an enhancement to get me there 6 months post procedure, but he successfully did it the first time. I've enjoyed being free from glasses and contact lenses, but know that the reality of reading glasses is on my horizon.

It's not bad, just not great.

I recently joined the ranks of the glassed (astigmatism). I wanted to get contacts, but the left eye is only .5 and the astigmatism contacts start at .75 and the optometrist didn't want to force a correction.

Once the left eye hits .75, it's contacts for me!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The 20/32 is [b WITH glasses. I have no idea what my vision is without glasses.

20/30 WITH glasses means there is some other process holding your vision back, and most surgeons won't risk refractive surgery in someone that already can't see 20/20.

There is no 'translation' between refractive error and visual acuity, but if your Rx is -0.50 and -1.00, I wouldn't recommend refractive surgery. That's a great Rx to have, as you can function well without glasses both far away and up close, and just using glasses part time is fine. In your early 40s, you'll LOVE being a little nearsighted.... when your friends the same age are running for reading glasses, you'll be reading just fine without them :)

There is no 'translation' between refractive error and visual acuity, but if your Rx is -0.50 and -1.00, I wouldn't recommend refractive surgery. That's a great Rx to have, as you can function well without glasses both far away and up close, and just using glasses part time is fine. .

what about +275 -825 / +250 - 800

:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is that good, bad...ugly even? (scratches head) [Crazy]

------------------------------------------------------
I'm confused...why wouldn't you just ask your eye doctor while you were face to face?

I kinda wondered that too...but then i remember it's Ralffers we're talking about and he is a little weird. :P

I would love the surgery, my right eye is -9.0, but since it's the only eye that works properly, the surgery scares me. If i fuck up my one good eye...well that would suck.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

You wouldn't find a reputable surgeon that would do an elective procedure on someone with one functional eye. It's better to keep a spare. On the plus side, when you're old and need cataract surgery, they do take your script into account, so after that you'll just need reading glasses :)

getting laser eye surgery done was the best money i have ever spent.....not having to wear glasses anymore ROCKS!!!!

and its true, it doesnt hurt one bit, worst part is sitting in the waiting room getting ready to go in
B|

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Is that good, bad...ugly even? (scratches head) [Crazy]

------------------------------------------------------
I'm confused...why wouldn't you just ask your eye doctor while you were face to face?

I kinda wondered that too...but then i remember it's Ralffers we're talking about and he is a little weird. :P

I would love the surgery, my right eye is -9.0, but since it's the only eye that works properly, the surgery scares me. If i fuck up my one good eye...well that would suck.

This wasn't a normal eye exam per say; they needed what my eyesight in the best case scenario. The test was pass/fail kinda thing. Thus, I just didn't think to ask the obvious question that is now the subject of my original post.

I have no problem seeing objects on the road,

How do you know? If you can't see something how do you know what you're not seeing?

Take the test again and be sure to get all of the pillow lint out of your eyes first-you'll do better
You are only as strong as the prey you devour