dive_craver50

Bad neighbor?

I'm new to this but need to vent! I've been in the same apartment for 15 years & a few years ago 2 college boys moved in - making my life HELL ever since. They bang the walls, playing their music so loud is hurts my ears & so on so forth. I mean I love music but come on - how old are you?!

The police are not responsive. Does anyone have any good bad or indifferent ideas of how to make them stop (short of the obvious)? What sends a real message?

Thanks for your help, I look forward to exchanges,
Suz

Good luck. You should be able to complain to the property manager of the apartments. They have rules and regulations they must uphold. If they don't well.....

I hope you have a better outcome than I did when trying to deal with such situation in the correct manner. You might be best off baking a cake with some type of special ingredient and leaving it on their doorstep. Just make sure you pay cash for that cake.:)

Skymama's #2 stalker -

I used to be an apartment manager - part of their job is to intervene in these types of situations. If the manager doesn't do anything or your don't have a building manager, go to your landlord. You've been renting the same apartment for 15 years? I would assume that you've likely been a great tennant to have (since the problem ones move on every 6 months - or sooner) so they should definitely address the issue.

If all else fails, go visit your local thrift store and load up on a turntable and some speakers and every bit of horrific vinyl you can find - horrific to college kids, anyway.

Absolutely a true story - my best friend (eventually he'd be my husband) and I had neighbors who liked playing hip hop music non-stop. I like hip-hop music well enough, sort of, but the crap they played was insufferable. And loud. And all night. On week nights and we were both going to college full time and working full time. We ended up having a battle of the bands one night - their hip-hop music and on our play list (vinyl) was:

Madonna - Self titled first album
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall (1979)
The Best of German Beer Garden - compilation of ooom-pa-pa music - had us dancing around the coffee table kicking each other in the butt.
Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits
The Charlie Daniels Band - I can't remember which one but it definitely had The Devil Went Down to Georgia on it
Weird Al Yankovic - In 3-D

...and several others. We still have those albums. We ended up becoming friends with the neighbors after that night. They partly didn't realize just how loud the sound was next door (us telling them "It's really loud" wasn't the same as us showing them how loud it was) and partly needed a wake up call that "NOT EVERYONE LIKES THE SAME MUSIC - OOOM-PA-PA!!"

Give it a try. Just make sure that whatever sound system you have that it is waaaaayyy better than theirs. They may think that the old guy next door has a hand crank Victrola at best. Show him what age, income and planning can do for you. We had a friend that worked at a high end custom home stereo place and borrowed our sound system for 'The Assault'.

Good luck!
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

I've been on both sides of the fence. Part of the problem is probably ignorance. If they are in college than they have most likely never had to deal with close proximty neighbors before and might not even realize what they are doing. I know when I was in college my second apartment was on the second floor and I ALWAYS had to remind my friends to walk quieter and not to stomp. I know it sounds stupid but until you're underneath someone or on the other side of the wall a lot of people don't ever realize how loud they walk or play their music. Just last week one of my friends woke up another friends wife when we were packing in his loft because he didn't understand how loud he was thumping around.
That being said have you tried talking to them? Getting the police or management involved might just piss them off and not fix the solution if they don't understand it first. If they're already driving you crazy now you really don't want to make them beligerant. Maybe the next time the music is up just knock on their door and explain the situation and ask them to come into your apt and listen to what it sounds like when the music is at that level. That way they can figure out what is appropriote and what isn't.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Start collecting evidence now. Take video, record the noise, take it to management. If they won't help, threaten to file a lawsuit. Sure it will just be a threat, but if they still don't act, consult a lawyer about what you can do.

My best advice is move before the "teenagers" do something stupid and you pay for it. It will happen.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Something else to keep in mind is the people that stay up all night and make all of the noise are usually the ones who like to sleep all day. When the people upstairs had a party that went to 3 am I would be sure to clean the ceiling the next day.

Nice Idea. Put your speakers right up against the wall and play Sesame Street tunes or church music at 6 freakin' AM.:D

dont play loud music back. play noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neLKgSdrch8&feature=related

Word.

Also, did you know that you can rent jackhammers that you can plug into a normal 110 socket?
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

I just started beating on the wall with a baseball bat until the noise stopped and would answer the door carrying the bat.

:D
BWAHAHAHAHHA!
Thats awesome. I have been known to answer the door with similar items discussed in the SC. interestingly-it gets the point across.

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415