prodiver913

Needs and Wants

So I understand the difference between needs and wants but we need CERTAIN foods (not all) and we need water. So, why the hell do we have to pay to stay alive. It's kind of B.S when you think about it. Reminds me of a good quote from Tom Morello of RATM:

"America touts itself as the land of the free, but the number one freedom that you and I have is the freedom to enter into a subservient role in the workplace. Once you exercise this freedom you've lost all control over what you do, what is produced, and how it is produced. And in the end, the product doesn't belong to you. The only way you can avoid bosses and jobs is if you don't care about making a living. Which leads to the second freedom: the freedom to starve."

I understand that people who produce food need money so they can stay alive but it's B.S and it boggles my mind. oh well. Just a rant.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Move out to the sticks and grow your own food............ The earth will provide everything you need to survive, everything else is a want.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

very true. but. you still have to work. because you still have bills and taxes and whatnot. I understand that the answer is to go off the grid but it shouldn't have to come down to that. We live in a prison where 99.9999% DO NOT know how to do those things like gather there own food and live off the grid. Instead they're trapped in this make believe society where we are forced to work and contribute. Why don't you think they teach survivalism in schools. Too many people would be able to just "leave" and do their own thing and that's not good for the money takers and makers. I am sorry but they idea of working 4 or 5 days week and living for the weekend, eventually retiring (if you can afford it) and then dying is pretty sucky.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I am 24, and it does boggle my mind. i understand wants. But basic things you NEED to survive should be free. Water, basic foods, etc. I am an Anthropologist and I 100% understand where we came from and how things are done but shit is pretty backwards.

Even if they taught survivalism in schools 99.999% of people in the modern western world would not go off the grid. They might dream of it some days, but then they would get on the internet, miss their iPods, fast food, etc.

If its such a big deal, why are you here on the internet right now?

I have the knowledge, training and skill to walk away into the woods in N. American and survive quite well; however, I have no desire to do this on a long term basis.

It might be a stretch of understanding, but I actually like and enjoy my career. It has meaning and significantly contributes to society in a positive way. I do, however, look forward to retiring and am planning to retire once I'm eligible with my employer, but that is so I can pursue my second career and do something that I've been dreaming about.

But basic things you NEED to survive should be free. Water, basic foods, etc.

It is free and provided by my government to persons who need the assistance; however, this has provided a crutch in which people use to willingly deny a life in which they attend the provided for free (to them) education. They also have, in some cases, denied to provide a positive contribution to society in any way.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am 24, and it does boggle my mind. i understand wants. But basic things you NEED to survive should be free. Water, basic foods, etc. I am an Anthropologist and I 100% understand where we came from and how things are done but shit is pretty backwards.

And who should provide these things for free?
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

technically we're forced to work in order to live and it's kind of B.S. And i also realize that we are working and paying for our comforts. Thats the key word. But just the basics man. Thats all.

Your quote assumes everyone in the workplace is subservient. You're not required to be subservient; you can be an entrepreneur and go into business for yourself. Even if you were to live off the land, you'd still have to work for it--and my guess is, you'd have to work a lot harder for it than by going in to the office every day.
TPM Sister #102

because I like the comfort things. It's just one of those questions to shoot the shit about. It was inevitable the way everything happened. we went from being hunter-gatherers to civilized beings and things just went this route. But.... society (me included) is the reason 80% of the original forests are gone, why we drive 12-15 species a day into extinction and why sooner than later this rape victim called Earth will NOT be able to support us and then we'll have some real problems on our hand.

because I like the comfort things. It's just one of those questions to shoot the shit about. It was inevitable the way everything happened. we went from being hunter-gatherers to civilized beings and things just went this route. But.... society (me included) is the reason 80% of the original forests are gone, why we drive 12-15 species a day into extinction and why sooner than later this rape victim called Earth will NOT be able to support us and then we'll have some real problems on our hand.

It happened. Choose to waste energy complaining or do something to try and change it.

My house is always open to anyone that wants to come over and eat. And it's free. ;)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I wouldn't say that I am complaining. Well, maybe a little. But it's just a topic thing. There are a lot of smart people out there and it's fun to get others opinion and educate everyone. My house is also open to any one who needs food and a place to crash!!

You're right. We can't all be leaders, but the thing about America is that here, you have the choice to do what you want to do. You have the choice to go into business for yourself or the choice to work for someone else. Either way, you're responsible for your performance on the job--and if you have employees, you also have responsibilities to them.
TPM Sister #102

My needs and wants revolve around sleep. Lately I've had to get up at 330 am and need to go to sleep by 7pm. I want to stay up later but am exhausted the next day if I do. I know, I know...SIUCC!:D:ph34r:

Well, if we're going to get off topic. I need a new vacuum and want a really good one. :D

Hang in there hun.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

If you think back to when America was founded, those who came here did so to step up and do something for -themselves-. They did NOT come here to get a J.O.B.!

The business model was that they'd apprenticed under a mentor, then go on to open up their own shop.

So, quit complaining! Learn a trade and then hang out your own shingle to meet your needs... Perhaps if you're successful you'll be able to fulfill your wants in time as well.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

First off man, I like your sig line. it's pretty rad. Second, having a job does not interest me in the least and thirdly, the pilgrims who came over here were fucking prudes, and destroyed the beautiful native american cultures that have been here for almost 8000 years. With disease, rape, conquest and that make believe thing called religion they ruined a beautiful land.

And I am very successful in life, love, world travel as well as financially so that area is covered

Stick to the topic and stop trying to hijack the thread! :S

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the signature. Sometimes we all have to stop and think to ourselves....where are we headed and why aren't we living our lives to the fullest? :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

i started the thread man. it was just a question thing but i guess it's human nature to turn things into attacks (not you, just in general)

My needs and wants revolve around sleep. Lately I've had to get up at 330 am and need to go to sleep by 7pm. I want to stay up later but am exhausted the next day if I do. I know, I know...SIUCC!:D:ph34r:

Well, if we're going to get off topic. I need a new vacuum and want a really good one. :D

Hang in there hun.

Thanks for the Halloween card with all the confetti !!! :DBiotch!!!!:ph34r: I got it a few weeks late since I just got back in town a few days ago...but appreciate the sentiment anyway;):D