TrophyHusband

thanksgiving dinner at 2:00. WTF?

we're planning thanksgiving dinner, and just like every year, my wife wants to have dinner at 2:00, but i would rather have it closer to dinner time. a 2:00 meal isn't dinner, its a late lunch. growing up, thanksgiving dinner has always been early in the day and it was the same for my wife, so i guess its normal, but why? it it so the old people can eat and drive home before it gets dark? since i'm doing the cooking, i have ultimate control over when the meal is served, but i will probably only push it out to 3:00 at the latest because i want my dear sweet wife to be happy. what time is normal for thanksgiving dinner? for you foreigners, do you have a holiday where you server an abnormally early huge meal?

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

My family does the early thing as well. I think we always went early because not everyone had off the next day. Kids get cranky if you eat too late and to keep from having leftovers we have it near lunch and who ever stayed for dinner had it then too or took a plate home for later. ;)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

We have always had dinner around 2 or 3. The reason is so people can spend the day and head out in a reasonable time to get home. We were always an hour plus from my aunts house.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

We always eat T-day dinner early. That way, the triptophan (sp) in the turkey can knock us out then we can wake up and have turkey sammies for an evening snack.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I think we usually have thanksgiving dinner relatively early so we can eat dinner then a few hours later we have room for dessert... But I'm not usually in the planning commitee for T-day Dinner I'm just tasked with setup and tear down... and in the last couple of years I've played with my camera doing goofy things like making time lapse videos... B|:ph34r::D

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

In some parts of the country (and in the past) "dinner" was what one called the noon-time meal and in the evening it was "supper." So, maybe you're having a late dinner.

Perhaps it should be called a Thanksgiving "FEAST." We always eat at two or three and have a second helping around 6 or 7.

There was one place I went to where they would pitch in $5 each and weigh everyone before and after the meal and whoever gained the most weight after eating won. There was a lot of diabetes in that family.

We tend to do it a little early- maybe some time between 3 and 5. I think 2 is pushing it. Now that I am cooking most of the big meals, I can honestly say I don't want to get up at dawn in order to serve dinner any earlier than 3 or 4 pm.

I just cooked an early Thanksgiving dinner last weekend- cooked all day and still didn't serve dinner until after 6:00. (I actually started the night before with the brine..........) I think about how my mom used to do that every year for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter and none of us helped her much at all. Kind of makes me a little ashamed of myself! An appalling amount of work goes into those big "holiday" meals!

For our family, we usually have it in the early afternoon so relatives can drive home and get there at a decent hour. Besides, they need their rest so they can go shopping the next day!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You have to plan to have the meal served at a time that will not interfere with kick off for your favorite game; however, it has to be after the Macy's parade has ended. You want to time the serving time to align with a period of time pre-meal for talking and the kids to play in the yard. Then you have to serve the meal with enough time to eat at least 3 plate fulls of food at the table before adorning to the sofa for football. If you have done your job right, just about everyone will be passed out shortly after the end of the game due to carb overload.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

we're planning thanksgiving dinner, and just like every year, my wife wants to have dinner at 2:00, but i would rather have it closer to dinner time. a 2:00 meal isn't dinner, its a late lunch. growing up, thanksgiving dinner has always been early in the day and it was the same for my wife, so i guess its normal, but why? it it so the old people can eat and drive home before it gets dark? since i'm doing the cooking, i have ultimate control over when the meal is served, but i will probably only push it out to 3:00 at the latest because i want my dear sweet wife to be happy. what time is normal for thanksgiving dinner? for you foreigners, do you have a holiday where you server an abnormally early huge meal?

Ah yes, the early "dinner", or as I like to call it, old fogies folks dinner. Generally such a meal is followed by a later meal referred to as "supper" by the geriatrically inclined. This "supper" generally consists of leftovers from "dinner" and snacks. Generally this early "dinner" is only observed by normal younger persons on t-day or when in captivity company of blue hairs.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

We normally eat around 4:00 which is early compared to the normal day but not too early. That way you don't have to eat lunch and still have time for some snacks before dinner. We won't have dessert untill 7:00 or so giving time for dinner to settle and be able to enjoy a couple pieces of pie.

The other reason for eating a little later than you will be is most of us men will either be out hunting in the morning or picking corn.

I sort of like eating dinner at noon and just have lunch at night but that doesn't happen much anymore. When I was a kid when ever I wasn't in school that is what we did so we could work late into the evening and not get hungry or have to come in eat a big meal and then go to bed.

Your wife "SUGGESTED" 2:00PM... be a nice husband and LISTEN to your wife's suggestion.... Why have a miserable afternoon and evening because you got away with a 1:00 hr delay ?

Just my $1.00 - $0.98
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

My family has thanksgiving dinner at the same usual dinner time, around 5 pm. None of us are NFL football fans anyway so there's nothing else in the way. We have a guest bedroom ready for whoever drives the longest to stay with us. The rest either sleeps on the couch or in a motel. :P

This year though, we're ordering a deep-fried turkey dinner from one of our favorite restaurants. It's just too much work to cook everything ourselves right now.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What about COLLEGE football? :o

My family eats at 2 as well. I never thought to ask why, but I like it. I guess probably because I get to sleep through some of the cooking, so I have a shorter amount of time to endure those fabulous Thanksgiving smells before getting to chow down. :D

That means starting prep and cooking way early!

My recommendation - Bloody Mary's

yes, that does mean early prep. the bloody mary idea sounds very good and i'm going to give it serious concideration, but if i start drinking too early, i'll never make it through the day. it seems that any more i have a finite amount of time to drink before i have to go to bed for the rest of the day. it doesn't matter if i drink a lot or a little, after a certain amount of time my body decides its time to sleep. maybe just one.

www.kjandmegan.com

I think we usually have thanksgiving dinner relatively early so we can eat dinner then a few hours later we have room for dessert... But I'm not usually in the planning commitee for T-day Dinner I'm just tasked with setup and tear down... and in the last couple of years I've played with my camera doing goofy things like making time lapse videos... B|:ph34r::D

the time laspe vidoes would be cool. i would like to see something like that of me cooking.

www.kjandmegan.com

In some parts of the country (and in the past) "dinner" was what one called the noon-time meal and in the evening it was "supper." So, maybe you're having a late dinner.

that's interesting, i've never heard that before. i've always thought that dinner and supper were synonyms. my family never used the word supper, but everyone else i know does.

www.kjandmegan.com