simplyputsi

A skydiving picture on a business mag

The following link is to a picture of the cover of a magazine a guy in the office I work in gets. Kind of took me by surprise.

It's quite complimentary to skydiving that so many people use such images as an example of how people working together with teamwork, skills and discipline can accomplish great things.

on a wall near the front desk on the show The Office.

I don't watch much TV; so I'm not familiar with the show and whether that's a good or a bad thing.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The following link is to a picture of the cover of a magazine a guy in the office I work in gets. Kind of took me by surprise.
https://home.comcast.net/~simplyputsi/ama skydiving.pdf

Any info on it?

Skydiving snapshots are a recurring theme in the print and televised media. It carries the message: "Somebody has the balls to do this, how come you don't?"
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Heh.

I was the "Lead Programmer /Analyst" for the US Risk Management division of a large financial company for a number of years.

Yes, most corporations DO try to manage risk. They develop logical algorythms or "risk models". We used fuzzy logic and geo-positional data to determine if a POS callback was deemed necessary. Spending patterns, as it were, and logical patterns to determine "human behavior", lol.

The whole ideaology is STILL funny, to me, because all humans are unpredicatable and irrational.

In our initial findings, we determined that an analyst at a desk, using actual human interroation / decisioning techniques was more accurate, by FAR, than any computational logic than we could possibly produce. We transitioned THAT model to the credit floor.

But, since computers cost less, the "biz" decided to go with that, and suck the rest up as operational costs. Humans made BETTER decisions, but cost more, hence the whole housing mess (where CEOs actually said "I'm not to blame". They were right, their greediness was, because they had all of the statisctics, they just used money to manipulate them, because they "owed" the investors money. Now the investors AND the company are broke, but hey, don't ever listen to guy that TOLD YOU SO the WHOLE TIME!!!!)

Now, all of these decisions are being deferred to a society that is built on being non-confrontational. Well, in business, it takes a bit of confrontation to challege decisions that are being made. Challenge brings insight (especially) in interrogation, which is where information ABOUT information (metadata) is derived in the first place.

If you can't challenge a server being down, how in the hell are you going to challenge a guy who's holding a fake card???

"Thank you, drive through please!" kinda doesn't work.....

Me? I'm just glad I found a company with some nutsack in the equation. I just hope this whole India thing doesn'r compromise customer service.

(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Yeah RIGHT!!!!! Told ya so, part deux).....

Never been happier.... (Until I own my own DZ, and yes, my CEO knows that I think he's the fucking man, BTW... I may just take him skydiving one day.)

Sorry for being long-winded.....

Been there, DONE that. Seen that, owned that, and it sucked. And here we go, doing it again. (sigh)

But hey, it's just MONEY at the end of the day.

At least it's not MINE this time.

Sometimes, at the end of the day, you can look back, having foreseen all of the consequences that some "leaders" bring upon themselves, have a beer, laugh, and say "I TOLD YOU SO". That's enough for me.

Even having been FIRED for relaying that opinion? Yeah, it was all worth it!

Some people don't listen, and are doomed to never learn.

Too bad it cost so many people their lives, income, houses, and this whole mess in the process.

I'm just happy being the one that told ya so....

Manage THAT. That's why "they" have skydiving pictures on their walls to motivate them when we:

WE DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take risks, get fired. It's GOOD FOR YOU!

'Nuff said.

B|

"Get these balls!"

yep, been fired(and they even tried to hire me back, yeah, right...fuck you!)...best damn day of my life... been self employed ever since.

risk is what it is, and thank goodness that we still have risk in our lives.