furbo

Shoulder dislocatio : recovery and moves to avoid?

Hi everybody.

Firstly, excuse my bad spelling (I'm French).

2 months ago, I had my right shoulder dislocated in freefall (1st time), while passing from the back to the boxman position.

I tried to pull 3 time in vain. I tried one more time, and it worked out. Strangely, I had no problem under canopy and for landing with my 2 arms… But, just after putting down my rig, right shoulder was hurting a lot again (and blocked).

A doc put back my shoulder at hospital easily (but it was a full dislocation).

Doctor said adrenaline was the thing which annihilated the pain during freefall and landing (?!)

Now I’m doing PT since 2 weeks and recover well, with pain.

I want to jump in august and the doc is OK.

I posted that thread because I have 2 questions : first is : do you think it is reasonable to jump after 3 months of PT? And also, how to fly in order to reduce the risk (special techniques, risky moves to avoid…).

Many thanks for your answers.

Blusky

(I'm French).

~Apology accepted. :P

I gotta wonder if you would ask a doctor you don't know... advise about emergency procedures for skydiving? ;)

You should probably follow your medical practitioners advise to heal up... and maybe test your shoulder in a tunnel prior to jumping again. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

we had a guy that had that happening; after he was fine he came back and did a jump; shoulder out again.. be careful!

Bad news.

Naturally, I ll follow medical advises, put a shoulder brace and test it in a tunnel prior jumping again. But, doctors have already said "it will be OK in 2 months".

In fact, my question is about freefall : are there special positions to avoid the risk or positions not to do when I ll be able to jump again?

Thanks

especially when bellyflying, i think the wind puts some funny stress on shoulders, and when u're prone to have it happening.. maybe should visit the gym and get a little bit of muscle to support it!?

do a search, i think there were a couple threads about it in the past.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Hi,

Everyone who has a shoulder dislocation once, has a higher risk of having it again, even with therapy, and waiting 2-3 months.

The muscles have been stretched while it was dislocated, creating more room for your shoulder to "pop out" a next time.

Training your muscles in the gym, as mentioned above, is a good thing besides your therapy. Also agree with the windtunnel thing... Try to avoid having your arms going behind your head. This can happen in belly flying if you don't put enough strength on your arms, especially when flying in a box-man. Mantis flying might be better, but I don't know if you will be thought this in France.

I am no docter, but have experience in people with shoulder dislocations since I am an ER nurse. I do know a few skydivers who have had this happen to them, and after therapy and keeping muscle strength it didn't happen. But this is a personal thing, and you will have to experience it for yourself. If you have " weak" ligaments in your shoulder, or had prior dislocations there is a greater risk of it happening again. Hope that this was a once-and-never more experience for you, and great that you have been able to pull and fly your chute !!

Heal well!
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

Your Physical Therapist is a great person to ask about exercises. They will have some odd ones that I'm sure you've never done before.

However, after having one shoulder dislocation you are at risk of more. You may require surgery to repair the damage in your shoulder. The only people who can advise you this way is your doctors.

Jumping in August - 3 months seems reasonable, as long as your shoulder heals and remains tight. If you require surgery, you won't be jumping for 6 months.

As for flying - learn to fly Mantis. Mantis freefall position is much easier on your shoulder. Also, avoid sit-flying.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hey guys

i agree with what yall are saying and this forum has helped with some of my questions but i would still be careful about jumping in a tunnel i actually fully dislocated my right shoulder in the tunnel 2 weeks ago and i go for the start of my therapy on fri. one thing i would ad is be careful of the lower net/cage i bumped my right elbow and thats how i threw out my shoulder

SNEllis

maybe should visit the gym and get a little bit of muscle to support it!?

Good call. Strengthening the entire shoulder, chest, and upper back
including the small supporting muscles, rotator cuff etc can help a lot.

Once its been dislocated once its easier for it to happen again due to stretched ligaments. There is a surgical option to correct this if your lifestyle warrants it.
__

My mighty steed

Hey guys

i agree with what yall are saying and this forum has helped with some of my questions but i would still be careful about jumping in a tunnel i actually fully dislocated my right shoulder in the tunnel 2 weeks ago and i go for the start of my therapy on fri. one thing i would ad is be careful of the lower net/cage i bumped my right elbow and thats how i threw out my shoulder

SNEllis

I had 3 x dislocations and the surgery. I went in the tunnel before I went back in the sky to "test it out". I would rather it popped out in the tunnel than on a jump.

Also, I still wear one of these: http://shop.bauerfeindusa.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?Dynamic+products.txt+OMOTRAIN+template.html+3. Highly recommended.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA