JohnRich

Britain to Ban "Happy Hour"?

News:
British may ban 'happy hour' as drink deaths rise

"Britain is considering a ban on "happy hour" discounts at bars and restaurants to curb drinking, a spokesman said Saturday, as health advocates warned that a rise in liver-related deaths among young people may signal a future epidemic..."
Source: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081122/D94K34B01.html

So drinking at happy hours now turns us all into mindless alcoholics does it?

no but it does turn mindless idiots into drunken mindless idiots faster
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

But doesn't that mean that they're already rolling around voming on themselves right at about the time that us normal people are heading out??

The mindless idiots are going to get hammered and bottle / stab each other if happy hour exists or not!
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

But doesn't that mean that they're already rolling around voming on themselves right at about the time that us normal people are heading out??

The mindless idiots are going to get hammered and bottle / stab each other if happy hour exists or not!
I'm far more concerned about them getting behind the wheel of a car:|:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

In the UK, that simply does not happen, the difference in culture between there and the US for instance is huge when it comes to drink driving.

Getting behind the wheel in the UK after drinking is about as socially acceptable as if you were trying to fiddle with children.
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

In the UK, that simply does not happen, the difference in culture between there and the US for instance is huge when it comes to drink driving.

Getting behind the wheel in the UK after drinking is about as socially acceptable as if you were trying to fiddle with children.

And so it should be.

IF (it's not cut and dried) they ban hour hour - it would just be another knee jerk reaction and would not get to the root cause of the problem - Band-aid politics.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

And so it should be.

IF (it's not cut and dried) they ban hour hour - it would just be another knee jerk reaction and would not get to the root cause of the problem - Band-aid politics.

I'd put it down to that disease called lefty politics thats invading the world, As I understand it
Italy has none of these problems.

Gone fishing

If it would save just one life, wouldn't it be worth it?

You can't expect ordinary citizens to be able to act responsibly and take care of themselves.

Heck, I propose they go even further. There should be government-issue alcohol ration cards, limiting a person to no more than three drinks per day. The card could have a calender printed on it, and the bartenders would punch a hole in the date every time the holder orders a drink. Once there are three punches in the current date, the person gets no more drinks. Sorry, you'll have to come back tomorrow. Buy a six-pack of beer in the grocery store - that's gonna cost you two days worth of drinking on your ration card.

Furthermore, police could check these cards during routine stops to find out who is drinking every day, so they know who to keep an eye on for potential trouble.

Yeah, there's a lot of societal good that could come from government control of alcohol drinking. I'm all for it!

Unfortunately, the UK is, at present, ruled by Politicians who love to interfere in the tiniest detail of all of our lives. They also love to bring in rafts of new legislation to stop normal, law-abiding adults enjoying themselves "for our own good". :S

The UK is a cold, dark, wet island... and the nanny state with their horrendous band aid politics means that fun of any kind is rapidly becoming outlawed and/or taxed out of existence. >:(

++1
TPM #131
People are just as the stars....there are bright ones and there are those that are dim.

Your post is just bunk. If parents and good education do not work properly, the government has to jump in ...

http://media.www.theranger.org/media/storage/paper1010/news/2008/11/21/BackPage/Usa-Today.Half.Of.Americas.College.Students.Abuse.Drugs.Drink.Alcohol-3556212.shtml

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=2725a437-f4ae-40c1-9fe6-d781f37c70d9

These are not "ordinary citizens", these simply are young adults, still kids.

Perhaps in the wide open of Texas, you can have your daily dose of booze, drive back home then and do (if any) just kill a coyote with the truck. In the urban environment, drunken drivers kill the one or other pedestrian on a daily basis.

If parents, schools, education do fail: Government has to take over more control.

Government does scare you, somehow?

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Unfortunately, the UK is, at present, ruled by Politicians who love to interfere in the tiniest detail of all of our lives. They also love to bring in rafts of new legislation to stop normal, law-abiding adults enjoying themselves "for our own good". :S

The UK is a cold, dark, wet island... and the nanny state with their horrendous band aid politics means that fun of any kind is rapidly becoming outlawed and/or taxed out of existence. >:(

Agreed but these politicians aren't doing this entirely off their own backs..... The fuck-wit out of control drunken morons are really the root cause.

We need a seed change in their behaviour to curtail their antisocial activities. Let the idiots rot their livers but ruining everyone elses night out is not acceptable.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

But...would banning happy hour really change anything? If people want to drink they will drink.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

But...would banning happy hour really change anything? If people want to drink they will drink.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

DPH # 2

Perhaps in the wide open of Texas, you can have your daily dose of booze, drive back home then and do (if any) just kill a coyote with the truck. In the urban environment, drunken drivers kill the one or other pedestrian on a daily basis.

Of the 23 million people in Texas 5.2M live in metro Dallas-Fort Worth, 4.6 live in metro Houston. Add in San Antonio 1.6M and Austin at 1.3M and you have half the population in big cities.

Agreed but these politicians aren't doing this entirely off their own backs..... The fuck-wit out of control drunken morons are really the root cause.

We need a seed change in their behaviour to curtail their antisocial activities. Let the idiots rot their livers but ruining everyone elses night out is not acceptable.

The politicians rightly see a problem that needs fixing... however, as you say, ruining everyone else's night out is not the way to do that. If they ban happy hours, the drunken morons (let's just call them "chavs" for short?!) will simply go and buy booze in Tesco to get hammered in a far less controlled environment before heading out.

To my mind, it's partly a cultural thing (there has been excessive drinking in Anglo-Saxon culture going back hundreds of years), partly due to stressful lifestyles (we have the highest taxation and the longest working hours in Europe) and probably most significantly, the fact that it is completely sociably acceptable in the UK to get uncontrollably drunk.

I don't pretend to have the answers... but I do know that banning happy hour will make ZERO difference! (Except to piss off adults who do know how to drink responsibly!)