mamajumps

Pantech Cell Phone

Anyone have one? I am thinking about getting one since it is time to renew my contract. (AT&T) My current phone, an LG is a total POS. First bad experience with an LG, but a bad experience none the less. I really like the looks and features of this Pantech, but with the 2 yr required contract, I don't want another POS. Thanks!;)

Which model are you considering? Since you're on AT&T, I would look at Nokia, Sony or Samsung first -- that's if you're considering the "average joe" type phones. ;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

AT&T is offering the Blackberry Curve at a decent price - I've had three BBs, and the quality has always been outstanding. I've dropped the phones many times, sat on them a few times, never had an issue with any part of them breaking or not working. Batteries last for several years, and I've never had one go bad.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Which model are you considering? Since you're on AT&T, I would look at Nokia, Sony or Samsung first -- that's if you're considering the "average joe" type phones. ;)

It is the Pantech Breeze. I can't afford much for a phone, so yes I am looking at the "average joe" phones that are either free up front or have a rebate that off-set the price....

It is the Pantech Breeze. I can't afford much for a phone, so yes I am looking at the "average joe" phones that are either free up front or have a rebate that off-set the price....

If you like it go for it. Remember, you get what you pay for. ;)
Make light!

AT&T is offering the Blackberry Curve at a decent price - I've had three BBs, and the quality has always been outstanding. I've dropped the phones many times, sat on them a few times, never had an issue with any part of them breaking or not working. Batteries last for several years, and I've never had one go bad.

I hope to have a Blackberry Storm in my hands in 8-12 days. :)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I love my Pearl now that I have customized it, a Storm would be nice but I can't justify the price.

I have had a pearl for the last 3 years and love it! I just got the new pearl flip phone which is even better, so I can protect my keys and not accidentally forward 77 text messages to my mom (which were addressed to my boyfriend) again.....:S:D

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

Blues,
Dave

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for...I'm getting one for the wife too so she doesn't get mad at me for blowing all the money just for me...:):P

Looks like the release date may be the 24th...$199 with two-year. B|B|B| Can't wait.
Make light!

Blues,
Dave

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for...I'm getting one for the wife too so she doesn't get mad at me for blowing all the money just for me...:):P

Looks like the release date may be the 24th...$199 with two-year. B|B|B| Can't wait.

It looks to me like some retailers plan to start next day shipping the day of VIP/small business availability, which is, as best I can tell, the 20th...that's why I said 8-12 days. B|

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I would look at Nokia, Sony or Samsung first -- that's if you're considering the "average joe" type phones.

I finally got rid of the Treo and went with the Samsung Rugby - love it.
Thereby, removing all internet, texting, email, etc. from my phone.
New Rule:
If it's important; call me.
If it can wait till the end of the day or tomorrow; send me an email.

Life just got lots simpler. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I would look at Nokia, Sony or Samsung first -- that's if you're considering the "average joe" type phones.

Thereby, removing all internet, texting, email, etc. from my phone.
New Rule:
If it's important; call me.
If it can wait till the end of the day or tomorrow; send me an email.

Life just got lots simpler. :D

I ended up going with a samsung... I think I will like it. It is a slide phone in lime green and black too... I like pretty things... what can I say....:P

I hope to have a Blackberry Storm in my hands in 8-12 days.

I would wait until other carriers, besides Verizon carry it. Why? The new blackberrys have GPS built-in, but Verizon always disables it so that they can sell you an inferior cell-phone triangulation service (VZNavigator) for an addition $10/month (whereas GPS is free). Also, the new blackberrys have WiFi, but Verizon disables that as well. Why? Because they want to sell you additional bandwidth (per meg over 5 gig), and if you use WiFi at home, you're not using their network.

I'm going to drop Verizon after my contract expires, due to bad marketing practices like these. Can't complain about service, though - it's pretty good.

I would wait until other carriers, besides Verizon carry it. Why? The new blackberrys have GPS built-in, but Verizon always disables it so that they can sell you an inferior cell-phone triangulation service (VZNavigator) for an addition $10/month (whereas GPS is free). Also, the new blackberrys have WiFi, but Verizon disables that as well. Why? Because they want to sell you additional bandwidth (per meg over 5 gig), and if you use WiFi at home, you're not using their network.

I'm going to drop Verizon after my contract expires, due to bad marketing practices like these. Can't complain about service, though - it's pretty good.

All reports are that they are not disabling the GPS in the Storm, so BBMaps, GoogleMaps, etc will work just fine. If you want audible turn-by-turn, you have to subscribe to VZNavigator, but I *think* it'll use the functional GPS rather than cell tower triangulation. In any case, at nearly 40 years old, I've used in-town GPS for something other than entertainment/distraction exactly once in my life...I think this will be an upgrade in that regard. ;)

As for WiFi, yeah, it sounds kinda cool, but for the most part I don't need it. Also, it's not disabled in the Storm, it's simply not present...perhaps because there isn't a lot of room left in the phone with all the radios that are in it. In my house I've got a desktop and a laptop on a wireless-N network that are much better than any BB for surfing the internet. Outside the house, I don't spend much time anywhere that has free WiFi (small-ish town and I don't go out to bars often). I keep an RV at the DZ about 4 miles from the nearest town and am there at least 30 weekends a year...3G works fine to tether my laptop there, and fast enough to even play WoW at night or on weather days. 5 gigs a month has been plenty for me thus far (I have the Verizon data plan to tether my VX8700 to my laptop right now).

My only other real option with decent coverage at the DZ is AT&T, which has the iPhone and the BB-Bold as top of the line devices. The iPhone isn't tetherable (a deal-killer for me), has a lesser camera that doesn't shoot video, no haptic feedback, it doesn't send MMS, and it can't cut/paste in documents. The Bold is basically a Storm with WiFi (and without CDMA) but also with a smaller, non-touch screen, and a lesser camera. Combining those options with bad prior experiences with AT&T & comparable monthly rates, and my decision is pretty straight-forward. B|

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I've been considering upgrading my 5 crew phones to the Rugby, happy to hear you are happy. We are EXTREMELY rough on our phones, working in really dirty, hot and wet conditions. A few of us have gone to keeping our cheapo "part of the plan" cell phones in a zip lock bag but that doesn't work for long. We've used 9 of our 10 available insurance replacements as well as had numerous warranty replacements, so I think it's time for something a little more rugged.

I love my personal Nextel/Sprint phone that's lasted for 5 years of the same abuse, but I'm having trouble convincing the boss that $130 x 5 is worth it.
Killing threads since 2004.

Was showing it off to a friend of mine with the Sprint/Nextel phone. The Rugby also being Mil-Spec, he felt that my phone was even more durable than his plus being larger than his.... was impressed. The only thing I found annoying is the PTT being on the left side and my being right handed would inadvertently hit the PTT for the first few days of ownership.

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/samsung-rugby-sgh-a837-reviewed/

The video in the review gets old after about two minutes.

EDIT: BTW... I knocked mine off the pickup dash with enough velocity that it did the bounce across the concrete parking lot thing while I did the "fingernails on the chalkboard, oh shit shrug" thing after having it a couple of days... Not a scratch.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

None of the CDMA carriers have WiFi in their Blackberries, whether it's ALLTEL, US Cell, VZW, Sprint, Telus, Bell Canada...none of the xx30 series phones by RIM have WiFi. In fact, the "new" GSM BBs don't have 3G for the GSM carriers except for the "Bold" which was delayed for 6+ months because the HSDPA wasn't performing (an issue the 3G iPhones are still dealing I understand). The Bold rollout really pinched the RIM/AT&T relationship (not that they won't do business, but I bet both relevant teams are taking a vacation).

VZW and the gang don't have a mandate about WiFi because they don't have their own hot-spots...unlike T-Mobile and AT&T who use hot-spots to make up for the spotty 3G coverage. Most of the upcoming WinMobile based devices from HTC et al for the CDMA carriers all have WiFi.

VZW will not be locking down the GPS feature set in the 9530, but to get "turn-by-turn" aGPS, VZNavigator is the one to use.

Finally, supposedly, as long as VZW can maintain sales quotas with the 9530, no one else will get it in US, though there has been plenty of conjecture to the contrary of that. I tend to think though that as VZW completes its acquisition of ALLTEL and becomes the largest US carrier, they may leverage that.
Make light!

VZW and the gang don't have a mandate about WiFi because they don't have their own hot-spots...unlike T-Mobile and AT&T who use hot-spots to make up for the spotty 3G coverage. Most of the upcoming WinMobile based devices from HTC et al for the CDMA carriers all have WiFi.

I think you're making the assumption that WiFi takes extra time to build into the BB. In fact, the BB Curve comes with WiFi built-in (as shown on BB's website), but VZ didn't release it for a year after it came out. They were busy disabling services that they didn't want to compete with their own (which they would miss out on charging their customers for).

Disabling the GPS must have been tough, because they needed to leave it enabled just for the 911 calls, but disable it for everything else.

My only other real option with decent coverage at the DZ is AT&T, which has the iPhone and the BB-Bold as top of the line devices. The iPhone isn't tetherable (a deal-killer for me), has a lesser camera that doesn't shoot video, no haptic feedback, it doesn't send MMS, and it can't cut/paste in documents.

I do have and sometimes use the tethered modem service of the BB on VZ. It works fine - as well as the USB EVDO-RevA card that I have. However, VZ charges me an extra $15/month for that service, which I think should be free with data on the BB (but the marketing people have gotten out of control, as usual).

I think you're making the assumption that WiFi takes extra time to build into the BB. In fact, the BB Curve comes with WiFi built-in (as shown on BB's website), but VZ didn't release it for a year after it came out. They were busy disabling services that they didn't want to compete with their own (which they would miss out on charging their customers for).

The BB 8830 Curve (as designed for VZW and Sprint) does not have WiFi. Again, none of the CDMA carriers' BlackBerries have WiFi. Check any xx30 series BB. They don't have WiFi. The upcoming Niagra (89xx Curve) for VZW et al may have it, but it's not confirmed as it hasn't been released yet.

As for the 9530 Storm, according to this, there was no room on the motherboard for WiFi components.

...The cost of the actuators — or more likely the space needed to fit them in — may have been an issue; the Storm doesn’t have Wi-Fi and RIM says there simply wasn’t room on the motherboard for it. But it’s also likely that RIM chose the spring-loaded screen because of the impact it would have on battery life, which the company is fanatical about....

Disabling the GPS must have been tough, because they needed to leave it enabled just for the 911 calls, but disable it for everything else.

Location based services (e.g. E911, etc) do not require GPS positioning.
Make light!

The BB 8830 Curve (as designed for VZW and Sprint) does not have WiFi. Again, none of the CDMA carriers' BlackBerries have WiFi. Check any xx30 series BB. They don't have WiFi.

I agree with you - I'm just saying that the corporations (VZW) had BB build them that way to try to sell you other crap services that don't work as well. Here is the web page for the Curve, which specifically says it has WiFi and GPS:

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrycurve.shtml

There may not be room for WiFi on the Storm's motherboard, but there is definitely room on this one - in fact, the companies intentionally disabled these services that normally come standard on the phones for marketing reasons, not because of technology restrictions, or any other reason. That's the only point I'm making. Well, that, and I'm not going to support Verizon wireless anymore for making these type of decisions that hurt consumers.

Edit:

Location based services (e.g. E911, etc) do not require GPS positioning.

I'm not saying they do - but my BB 8330 from Verizon has GPS for 911 calls only. In other words, they disabled the GPS for consumer services because it competes with VZNavigator. But they left it in 911 calls as an easy way to comply with emergency location regulations.

The BB 8830 Curve (as designed for VZW and Sprint) does not have WiFi. Again, none of the CDMA carriers' BlackBerries have WiFi. Check any xx30 series BB. They don't have WiFi.

I agree with you - I'm just saying that the corporations (VZW) had BB build them that way to try to sell you other crap services that don't work as well. Here is the web page for the Curve, which specifically says it has WiFi and GPS:

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrycurve.shtml

You're not taking into account how these devices are designed and for whom. The BlackBerry Curve was not first released for Verizon. The first 8300 Curve was built for GSM operators, and it did not have WiFi or GPS. Only the 8320 has WiFi.

Only now, has RIM released the 8350i, for Sprint, which has push-to-talk and will have WiFi.

Well, that, and I'm not going to support Verizon wireless anymore for making these type of decisions that hurt consumers.

I completely understand that point of view, but I still don't see it solely has a VZW "lockdown" since just about every other "professional" device that's recently been, or is being rolled out, have WiFi.
Make light!

UPDATE: Having used PDA phones for so long, one of the features I've always liked is syncing my Outlook Contacts and Calendar to my phone. Both AT&T & a couple of cellular stores told me it couldn't be done with the Rugby. Well, it can.

You go to Samsung's Dowload Center and Download Samsung PC Studio 3

Can do a true Sync
Sync phone to PC
Sync PC to phone
Will do Calendar and Contacts

Need a SAMSUNG A837 RUGBY USB Data Cable

In Business