prodiver913

Wife Problems

Been married for almost one year and things have been great but are starting to get a little tense. First off, we have nothing in common from religion to skydiving and we have been arguing more and more. We should have known this before we got hitched but you know how that goes. We are still crazy about each other but like I said have nothing in common. I mean nothing. I just want to get up and leave (not leave her, leave with her) and go down to FL or something or travel the world for a while again but she is not down and I am going absolutely insane living in PA. I am from Hawaii and have been surfing and scuba diving since I was 8 and 14 and I am literally going nuts. What should I do? Just sit down and talk with her and try not to have a fight?
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

we have tried that. She started diving cause I told her she might be into it and it' something we could do together but she got certified two years ago and hasn't made a dive since. Like the things we are into are on the opposite side of the spectrum from each other. In the three years we have been together the only thing that we have in common is that we were in the Navy. It kind of sucks. I am more into the extreme sports and stuff side of the house and she is definitely not. I think we will just sit down with each other and lay it all out on the table and have a serious talk. So we know what we're thinking.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Always remember that you do not have to do things together. She can do her thing and you can do yours.
The best relationships are the ones with a lot of space and understanding.
Wish you luck man.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

is she not comfortable with having separate interests/hobbies? i am VERY much a loner and i couldn't stand it if i were with someone who needed to participate in everything i did. maybe you're feeling this way because you feel like if she isn't involved, you can't be either? sometimes being apart is the best medicine if you want to stay together!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

we were just apart for the last 6 months while she was deployed. She has tried my interests and hobbies and she doesn't like them and i don't like hers. We are not into any of each others interests. I am definitely not a negative person but lately....

i don't mean spending that kind of time away from each other! i just mean that you go and do what you like, and she does the same. that way neither of you are feeling deprived or stifled. it has only been a year...newness wears off, they start getting under your skin. i remember that well. its going to take time to figure out what works for you both...and if she has already spent that kind of time away, you guys aren't exactly getting a fair shot at getting used to married life!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

there's no rule that you have to have the same hobbies as your signifant other... my parents have been together for almost 40 years and they don't enjoy all the same activities.

The certainly have some similar interests... they both play Bridge, they both enjoy going to concerts and plays... but my dad would rather spend time in the basement doing woodworking or watching a sporting event... whereas my mom is content to sit upstairs reading a book or knit.

they each bring something different to the table...

That's not to say having some similar hobbies is bad... but it is by no means a requirement to having a successful relationship... generally successful relationships are built upon a mutual respect for one another... business or personal... if one person doesn't respect the other then that's when things start to breakdown.

Mind you I'm not married (yet) but I do try to be observant in relationships... and I try to be aware about the relationships in around me that have worked and the ones that haven't...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

On paper, my husband and I have absolutely nothing in common.

I like to do things that he either doesn't understand or thinks I'm insane for liking or thinks is stupid, etc.

He went skydiving one time to see what was so great about it and broke his toe on the first jump. He hated it but he's going to go again (he takes his jump as a failure and doesn't take failure well). He'll still hate it.

I like photography and collect old cameras. He likes a nice point and shoot for vacation snap shots and can't stand that I have ANOTHER camera and "But it's a 1959 Twin Lens Reflex that I got for $1.99 and it works!!!" is not a sentence that makes sense to him.

I think that a road trip is the most amazing experience one can have. I have seen the world's largest basket, ball of twine, and frying pan. I have been to the Corn Palace. Twice. I have visited a "Trailer Park and Art School" just because I saw the sign on the freeway and knew that it would be a once in a lifetime experience. The Badlands. Deadwood. Rock City. That's a road trip. He treats a road trip like the Bataan Death March. Can't stop. Must drive on! We drove from Seattle, WA to Pensacola, FL in less than 4 days once... In a 1977 VW van!!

I couldn't for the life of me tell you what he does for a living. I could tell you his job title, the company he works for and the group, division, product, etc. But what he actually DOES?!? Not a clue. Never will have one either. It's beyond my comprehension.

He loves to go camping. I despise camping. I don't understand the appeal of it. I don't drink beer and poking sticks in a fire gets really boring after about, oh, five minutes. So he goes camping with his friends and I find something else to do on those weekends. Usually a cabin out on the coast with the doggies for a beach romp weekend.

I don't like to hike. Again, I don't understand the appeal. Why would you drive all that way to put on specialized gear just to go for a walk? I can go for a walk. To the bar down the street. So he hikes with his friends and I find something else to do. Like go to a bar.

I'm messy, he's fastidious. I'm the creative sort and he's of the scientific sort. I'm outgoing and he's more reserved - YET - I'm a loner bordering on recluse and he's very social. Yeah, figure that one out.

As a joke, we both filled out the e-harmony profile things. That was 4 years ago and we have yet to be matched up with each other. We've been married for ten years.

You don't have to have everything in common. You just have to have the important things in common. That you don't have religion in common is a bit worrying but that all depends on the specifics. My husband and I joke that we don't have religion in common (because neither one of us has religion at all). You just have to look for things. Look outside of yourselves. Find something totally new for both of you and check it out. Who gives a shit if neither of you like it. Just give it a shot. Don't spend all your energy talking about things - DO things. Shut up (both of you) and go do something. Anything. Go to the zoo.

Ever taken ballroom dancing lessons? Has she? Now might be the time. It may sound goofy but what do you have to lose?

I used to live in Hawaii. I've spent time in PA. You are going cuckoo. Period. You want to travel the world, she wants to stay put. Find yourself a ton of day trips. Be a tourist in your own area. There is really a lot to see and do there, you just have to look harder for it. Things are a bit more spread out and the roads are straighter :P

If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

B......O.....A....T.....

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
:o:P;):)
:D:D:D:D:D:D ----yep, I spend lots of BOAT dollars annually:P:P --- but boy is it fun to escape.

jmy

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Pa.will do that to you.What part of Pa.? Now on a serious side,do se a consuler if it's worth saving.No matter where you or you and her go There you are.It's not geography dude!t
That I know from personnal exprience
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I don't usually like to be overanalytical here (ok maybe I do) but was I the only one that has thinks that title of the thread "Wife Problems" implys some kind of blame directed towards the wife? (whether that is actually the case or not...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

i have always been the kind of guy who makes radical decisions. we dated about two years

I think that's a good amount of time, but surely you must have known you didn't have anything in common before you got married....?

I say don't waste anymore of your life with someone you're not happy with. if you don't have kids, get a divorce and move on.