doug925

Brine your turkeys folks!

Brine the turkey people!
Don't make your family choke down a dry ass bird that will make them fart dust!!!

Don't do it!
I have used this recipe for the past 5 years. Every year I get "new converts" to the brined turkey side.

I use Alton Browns Turkey Brine (from memory)

1 gallon vegie stock
1 Tbs whole black peppercorns
1 cup salt (I prefer 1/2 cup though)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tbs allspice
1/2 Tbs candied ginger

Mix all and bring to boil.
Add 1 gallon ice water

Drop in bird.
Let brine for 6-9 hours.
Roast @ 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
drop temp to 350 degrees and tent the breast with foil.
Cook until 161 in the middle of the breast. (using your digital thermometer. (you do have one right???)

I will attempt to locate the recipe on ffod tv to make sure I have it all.

Seriously people, BRINE THE DAMNED TURKEY!
:ph34r::ph34r:

Doug.

ETA clicky
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html
I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

Can you do it ahead of time and cook it the next day? What is vegetable stock? I've heard of chicken stock, but not vegetable stock.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes, ideally you can brine it overnight or a little longer. I normally just do a breast and use a Tyler Florence recipe from the Food Channel. My holidays wouldn't be half as tasty without Tyler Florence! lol!

You should be able to buy veggie stock in your grocery store, in the same section as the chicken and beef stock.

Can you do it ahead of time and cook it the next day? What is vegetable stock? I've heard of chicken stock, but not vegetable stock.

You can find the veg stock right next to the chicken stock in the store. JohnMitchell and I actually don't even buy that stuff for it. It's really expensive for vegetables and water! So we make our own veg. stock. Makes the whole house smell really good too!

Oh well, I just came back from the store and am not going back. I guess my family will have to eat my dried up turkey from my Good Housekeeping recipe. :ph34r:

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Oh well, I just came back from the store and am not going back. I guess my family will have to eat my dried up turkey from my Good Housekeeping recipe. :ph34r:

Just boil up a bunch of vegies to make a stock. Put in some pepper corns and allspice, salt etc.. Even if you don't have the candied ginger you can do it without. Soak the turkey over night and you'll have a much tastier bird the next day. You'll be glad you did.

Brine the turkey people!

WRONG!!!!!!:D:D:D

FRY THE DAMNED THING!!!!!!B|B|B|

With Butter Jalapeno injector shot all into that thang 'bout an hour before you put the oil on...butter creole is good too!!!!

;);););););)

Best Turkey in the South!!!!!

And for those of you who are confused, everything is south of Canada!!!!:D

Ha! That is the Alton Brown recipe from the Food Channel. Yes our bird is RIGHT NOW in that very brine. It makes the best turkey EVER!!! I wouldn't do a turkey any other way. It makes the most delicous, moist turkey I've ever had. YUM!

Erin is putting our bird in a brine this afternoon, but it's some other recipe because she's using chicken stock instead of veggie stock (and I agree with you on making homemade veggie stock when a recipe calls for it). Of course just one turkey wouldn't be enough for four skydivers, so Aaron is smoking a bird too. That makes a total of TWO turkeys, a spinach quiche, my amazing green beans, taters & stuffing (and gravy), brie & pesto stuffed rolls, a cheesecake, and homemade pecan and pumpkin pies. If nodody hears from me, Erin, Aaron, or Bill on Friday, send EMTs with stretchers made for really fat people. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Don't brine and fry there will be too much "soaked up" water. Water and oil don't mix! Maybe some people do that but we do not. We inject and fry. Yummy! This year we are having some friends from the DZ over and will also be smoking a turkey that will be brined before hand. I just may use that receipe!

Vskydiver is right on the vegetable stock. I just start with plain water and add 1/2 bunch of celery, one or two yellow onions, halved, and 3-4 large whole carrots. Boil these veggies along with the other ingredients, and strain the brine before using.

Blue skies, Dark Meat, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.:)

Brine the turkey people!

WRONG!!!!!!:D:D:D

FRY THE DAMNED THING!!!!!!B|B|B|

With Butter Jalapeno injector shot all into that thang 'bout an hour before you put the oil on...butter creole is good too!!!!

;);););););)

Best Turkey in the South!!!!!

And for those of you who are confused, everything is south of Canada!!!!:D

ABSOLUTELY the best way to cook the beast. Just don't do it in the garage and burn down your house - cause you won't be the first and won't get in the Guiness Book of stupid stuff to do.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Thanks man, I'll try it. My turkey's are usually as dry as the dog turds in the back yard (I live in Arizona).

I was just watching someone on tv cook a turkey and she stressed putting foil over the wings and tying up the wings and drumsticks to they won't dry out. She said those areas will cook faster than the rest of the turkey, hence, the drying out.

My mom has always had pretty good luck putting the turkey in those oven bags to keep it moist.

I didn't brine, but the bag came through with flying colors. The turkey fell off the bone! I have a feeling the convection oven helped with that, it couldn't have been all me and my bag.

i made my brine tuesday afternoon and let it cool overnight. my bird brined from wednesday morning until thursday morning. my bird is always very moist, but i don't know if it's the brine, or the cooking method. a couple key things are to put doubled up aluminum foil on the breasts (the turkey's, not yours) after the 30 minutes at 500 degrees and also to cook it to an internal temp of 161 instead of using time time/pound formula. its alway turned out so good with the brine, that i'm afraid to try it without the brine. maybe i'll buy a turkey and try it sometime without guests and see how it works.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

We put our turkey in the brine Tuesday night and took it out this morning. So it spent a little extra time in the brine. I went and lay down for a while at the very end of the cook time After making 8 pies I was really tired! The turkey temperature got up to 168 when I finally got around to taking it out of the oven. At rest it got up to 172! I thought it would be ruined but it was still very delicious and moist! I also put the foil loosely on the legs to keep them moist. I like it better that way. I like the dark meat. Give me a moist thigh to chew on and I'm happy.