LisaM

New kitten HELP

I would keep her closed in the litter room for a few hours at a time so she gets used to the new place of her litter box. Just keep her food and water in there, and she will get used to the smells of the room and remember where to go.

I'd also keep the bathroom door closed so she cannot go in there and go to the bathroom. Otherwise she will always think that is what she is supposed to do.

I was wondering about closing her in the litter room for a while. Wasn't sure if she would view that as punishment and learn to hate the room or not.

And yeah, we have the bathroom door clased. Don't know how long we'll have to do that though.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I would keep her closed in the litter room for a few hours at a time so she gets used to the new place of her litter box. Just keep her food and water in there, and she will get used to the smells of the room and remember where to go.

I'd also keep the bathroom door closed so she cannot go in there and go to the bathroom. Otherwise she will always think that is what she is supposed to do.

I was wondering about closing her in the litter room for a while. Wasn't sure if she would view that as punishment and learn to hate the room or not.

And yeah, we have the bathroom door clased. Don't know how long we'll have to do that though.

I have rescued quite a few cats and kittens over the years, and have always closed them in the room where the litter box is, to get them accustomed to going there. It also helps them adjust to the sounds and smells while feeling safe in a quiet area of the house. If the litter box is on a different floor, I would also make sure that when she is out of the room, if it's been a couple of hours, to put her in the litter room for a bit to go to the bathroom, and eventually she'll just instinctively know where to go.

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

Argh. Closed the bathroom door all day and she used a corner under my desk. Grrr

Bought kitten attract. Put her there and she pooped and buried. She had not buried the one time she did use it. So hopefully that is a good sign.

I will close her in there for a while. Thank you everyone!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Thank you to all that have helped so far. Here is where we are at. I still need help.

Kept bathroom door closed. Came home to find poop under my desk. Probably about 50 feet from litter room. Backed up my idea that she wasn't ok with the litter. I got Kitten Attractant litter. Came home and put her in it and she went poop right away.

Was sitting down later and happened to see her about to go again under my desk. Picked her up and put her in the litter room. She went in the box and did a teeny bit of business. I cleaned out the box just so I can keep track of her using it.

But I'm feeling discouraged. Now the spot under my desk (tile) is marked, right? I'll have to forever watch her there? Will she find more spots?

This is getting frustrating.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

It sounds like she feels the need to be near you.

She's looking for comfort. Can you tolerate the litter box being in your room for a few days? Once she's comfortable and feels content, she'll go to where it's moved.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

She's looking for comfort. Can you tolerate the litter box being in your room for a few days? Once she's comfortable and feels content, she'll go to where it's moved.

Having it with us is what started this. Yes though, she is on top of someone all the time when she's not playing. She's purring right now on top of me.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Having it with us is what started this. Yes though, she is on top of someone all the time when she's not playing. She's purring right now on top of me.

Does she share this litter box?? Seriously, when she poops on the floor.. toss it in the box and then her. Tough love. Worked for 2 of mine. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Does she share this litter box?? Seriously, when she poops on the floor.. toss it in the box and then her. Tough love. Worked for 2 of mine. :)

How do you pick up the litter? It's um... stuck to the floor....

She shares the room but is using her own box for now.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I meant pick up the poop and put it in the box, then toss her in there. After a few times, she'll get the message.

Use a paper towel or litter scooper.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I meant pick up the poop and put it in the box, then toss her in there. After a few times, she'll get the message.

Use a paper towel or litter scooper.

Ok I'll do that. If I catch her about to poop, it's right to pick her up and take her to the box, right?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Ok I'll do that. If I catch her about to poop, it's right to pick her up and take her to the box, right?

YES! And even if it's old poop. Pick it up and put them both in the box.

Don't use scented litter. Some cats don't like it. Arm & Hammer is the best. Baking soda works.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

YES! And even if it's old poop. Pick it up and put them both in the box.

Don't use scented litter. Some cats don't like it. Arm & Hammer is the best. Baking soda works.

Ok I'll do both those things and let you know.

I use arm & hammer. She wasn't burying so I figured she didn't like it. So I got kitten attract litter today and she is burying now so I thought that was good.

Wish us luck no poopies tonight.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Interesting...I had to switch to Fresh Step - standard clay type due to the clumping type lodging in their paws and causing infections.
Cute little fuckers are a lot of trouble sometimes.

Yes, they are. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Ahhhh, the picture explains everything. Maybe not quite a Calico but close enough! Super cute and nothing but trouble! I've had two different vets tell me that calicos and torties have very "unique" personalities, and that's definitely the case with mine! :P

Oh, and I wouldnt worry about your floor being "marked". First, it is tile and should be easy to clean. And second, normally it is pee that won't go away. If a cat pees on a rug just once, no matter how well you clean it, it is pretty much a target from then on for any cat.

OK, so putting this

I'm in the shower and she is in the bathroom with me and she pees on my robe right where the litter box was.

and this

If a cat pees on a rug just once, no matter how well you clean it, it is pretty much a target from then on for any cat.

together -
seems to me all you need to do is use your robe to line the litter box. :o