LisaM

New kitten HELP

Ok so we got a new kitten. She is 4 months. She had just had a urinary infection and had finished her antibiotics. Foster home said she was using litter box.

We have 2 other cats so we had the kitten in the bedroom with us the first night and some of the next morning before doing introductions. Had the kittens litter box in our bathroom.

You see where this is going? Did that for 2 nights. During the day I had moved her litter box to the litter room and showed her. Kept the door propped because I wasn't sure she would use the cat flap.

Ok so yesterday morning I'm in the shower and she is in the bathroom with me and she pees on my robe right where the litter box was.

Ugh.

So I scrub it and keep the bathroom door closed all day. Today I get up and I take her down to the litter room and she pees. Then she comes in the bathroom while I am in the shower and proceeds to POOP where the litter box was.

Help! How do I get her to stop? I'm guessing she associates night time / sleeping time with using the litter box there.

I'm thinking maybe tomorrow morning shut her out of the bedroom and leave the other cats in so she feels comfortable to go use the litter room?

She did use the litter room yesterday while we were gone at work. She can use the cat flap but I left it open cause one of the other cats is still hissing now and then at her and I didn't want her to feel cornered with just the cat door (which she is not a pro at yet) as her escape.

Help me!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Some cats don't do well with their litter box being moved. You need to be gradual and literally move it inch by inch (I'm not kidding) across the floor to it's final destination. I was lucky, I moved my kittens box to the closet at once and she started using it right away, but I'm afraid you may have to start again and do the shuffle.[:/]

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Try some 'litter attractant'. Comes in a big plastic bottle and looks kind of like tea leaves.

I had a HELL of a problem with my girlfriends cat crapping ALL OVER the place in my house until i tried that.

Now I only have one stinking box of crap to deal with instead of little brown cat babies all over the house
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

I only had it there for her at night. I did the same thing with the other 2 cats and never had a problem. I get that I'm having a problem with this one.

What is litter attractent?

Ugh hubby will moan if I have to do the inch by inch thing. It's a long way to go.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

What about putting a bowl of water or maybe her food there in the morning to keep her from doing that?

She's only doing it in the morning again cause I think she thinks it should be there from those 2 whole nights it was.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I would periodically during the day go put the cat in the litter box physically. Show the little guy how to dig with his paw in it, so that he understands you want him to do that there.

Do this in the a.m. before your shower, and in the p.m. and as much as you can in between. It's like in their blood to dig when they have to go, you just have to show them where they need to dig.

Good luck. Be patient, but it's really up to you to show the little one what to do.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Yesterday she peed in the bathroom where her litterbox was for 2 nights. So today I got up and took her down and put her by the litter box where it is now. She peed in it. Came back upstairs and then pooped in the bothroom where the litter box was.

I'm wondering if maybe I don't allow her in that bathroom in the morning.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Yesterday she peed in the bathroom where her litterbox was for 2 nights. So today I got up and took her down and put her by the litter box where it is now. She peed in it. Came back upstairs and then pooped in the bothroom where the litter box was.

This may sound gross, but you should carry the poop down to the litter box, put it in there then toss the little one in. That will help associate poop and pee in the same place/box.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

She has pooped in the box down there before. I think it's the timing of the morning because thoes 2 nights her litter box was there.

This may sound gross, but you should carry the poop down to the litter box, put it in there then toss the little one in. That will help associate poop and pee in the same place/box.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Time to keep the door closed for awhile.

I kept it closed yesterday during the day just cause we weren't home. I think I will do that too in the morning and not let her in there.

I hope that works. I'm tired of doing laundry at 6am.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

She needs to associate peeing and pooping in the bathroom in the bathroom with a negative experience.

So just wait for her to do it. (put down an old towel or somat for her). As soon as she starts doing it, pick her up by the scruff (as mummy would) and proceed to give her a short cold shower.

Repeat this process with the shower getting colder and longer each time.

I have yet to find a cat that will repeat offend more than 3 times. :)

BP
:)

I only had it there for her at night. I did the same thing with the other 2 cats and never had a problem. I get that I'm having a problem with this one.

You're not expecting consistency amongst cats are you?:ph34r:
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Better yet. Glue some of those googly eyes and a nose on it, attach some strings, and march the poop marionette-style from the old location to the new one, all the while singing some sort of cat poop ditty. Acoompaniment by a marching band is optional, but improves your chances of success.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

You're not expecting consistency amongst cats are you?:ph34r:

Of course not.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

She needs to associate peeing and pooping in the bathroom in the bathroom with a negative experience.:)

BP
:)

In that case, the solution can easily be found in some well placed fireworks. Guaranteed to keep kitty cat away from that room for some time to come.

Better yet. Glue some of those googly eyes and a nose on it, attach some strings, and march the poop marionette-style from the old location to the new one, all the while singing some sort of cat poop ditty. Acoompaniment by a marching band is optional, but improves your chances of success.

:D:D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Borrow neighbor's pit bull.
Install pit pull in place of undesired behavior.
:P

You can borrow mine but, I don't think it will do much good since he is a big softy and lets my cats chase him around the house:D He loves them anyway and always brings them his toys it's really cute:)
Good luck with the little new one:)

Fly like a girl

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754845

sprinkle it in the litter box and kitty thinks 'oooooh that smells JUST like the sort of place I want to leave a little brown baby"

I'm going to try that. Thank you for the link.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754845

sprinkle it in the litter box and kitty thinks 'oooooh that smells JUST like the sort of place I want to leave a little brown baby"

Crap. That stuff says not to use with litters that have baking soda. I use arm & hammer clumping litter.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I would keep her closed in the litter room for a few hours at a time so she gets used to the new place of her litter box. Just keep her food and water in there, and she will get used to the smells of the room and remember where to go.

I'd also keep the bathroom door closed so she cannot go in there and go to the bathroom. Otherwise she will always think that is what she is supposed to do.

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart