RALFFERS

Road Trip of a Lifetime

Okay, maybe not "of a lifetime" - but this would be a kick ass trip to take! B|

At current gas prices, gas itself would only cost [less than] $700; as far as other expenses - I'm thinking $10,000-$15,000 & 2 months time.

I really want to do this sometime in my life!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Chicago+IL&daddr=Denver+Co+to:cOVINGTON+wa+to:San+diego+Ca+to:Las+Vegas+NV+to:Eloy+AZ+to:Miami+FL+to:Chicago,+Illinois&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=36.527295,-101.074219&sspn=42.372578,93.164063&ie=UTF8&ll=38.341656,-87.099609&spn=41.444041,93.164063&z=4
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Two notes:
1. What could possibly be in Nebraska that would convince you to skip the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood area of South Dakota. It is without question the most beautiful part of the lower forty eight.
2. Your map has you going down the I-5. It is a largely uneventful but efficient route from Vancouver to Tijuana. Try the US 101 instead.

I did a trip like this in '95. Left San Diego in early August.

San Diego, SF Bay Area, Crater Lake, Portland, Seattle, BC Canada, Glacier Nat'l Park, West Yellowstone, Casper WY, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, Breckenridge, Moab, Durango, Breckenridge, Omaha, Chicago, Saginaw MI, Niagra Falls, Emira NY, Gettysburg, Washington DC, down the east coast into Florida, Ft. Pierce, back to Pensecola, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Pima AZ and back to SD on xmas eave. Total of 13K miles. Spent about 2 months staying with family, the rest driving.

I did it in a pickup with a camper shell. Only spent a total of 3 nights in a hotel. The rest were were staying with family or sleeping in the back of the truck. Had a blast.

Totally agree about seeing the sights in South Dakota. The drive along 101 along the west coast is beautiful, but will add lots of time to the trip.

I would love to make another trip like this. Do it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Two notes:
1. What could possibly be in Nebraska that would convince you to skip the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Deadwood area of South Dakota. It is without question the most beautiful part of the lower forty eight.
2. Your map has you going down the I-5. It is a largely uneventful but efficient route from Vancouver to Tijuana. Try the US 101 instead.

Point well taken, thank you for pointing that out. :)
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Ive heard from a few people that Mount Rushmore is one of the lamest places to visit (specifically a geography professor I had last year.) Haha just a thought.

Was he an old fat guy who never hiked up a hill in his life? Just wondering because the hiking in that area is amazing. I thought the sculpture was pretty cool too.

Ive heard from a few people that Mount Rushmore is one of the lamest places to visit (specifically a geography professor I had last year.) Haha just a thought.

The monument itself is kind of boring.

But the area around it.... I would HIGHLY recommend. The Black Hills are beautiful. The badlands are amazing. Deadwood is fun. Sturgis... especially during the Rally is worth it!! Devils Tower (in WY but really, really close) is cool.