simplyputsi

Kitchen remodeling, help with argument

Are you guys running a test lab?

They raised four (?) kids - is this even a question?:D:D

Well, when the children become skydivers, you are prone to re-eveluate your rearring methods... just my humble opinion!
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

:D Lab? Oh yeah, I forgot about all the science experiments we did in the kitchen, too. :D

Our kitchen has had a lot of use. Like I say, we cook a lot, and can, and everything else. All the appliances have been replaced at least once, the vinyl floor has been replaced with ceramic tile ( a very cost-effective flooring, if you ask me), and the molding redone. But the laminate counter tops keep soldiering on.

granite is a one shot deal. it is an extremely hard and resilient stone. whoever posted that you can't put hot pots/pans on granite or that it chips has obviously never had, worked with or even dealt with granite.

granite, is not to be compared with marble. marble is a softer more porous stone that requires care. marble is easy to chip, break, stain, and is recommended that you seal it depending on it's application. marble is not a recommended stone to use for kitchen counter tops.

granite on the other hand is maintenance free. no need to seal it, it is unaffected by heat from pots/pans , it is very hard nearly impossible to "chip it". also if the seams and aprons(if necessary) are bonded together with the correct epoxy you will barely notice them much less have any problems with them a granite counter top will last a lifetime or several for that matter.

kinda like flooring. you can put down wood, vinyl, laminate, carpet etc. and you will have to replace it or refinish it at one point in time or another.

you put down ceramic or stone and its a done deal, if done correctly that is the last floor you will ever have to put down or deal with. when doing stone or ceramic floors consider removing your base boards and replace them with the same stone or ceramic used for the floor and you will never have to paint or deal with your base boards either. lay the floor on a 45deg. angle with the straight base it is a very sharp, clean, finished, modern look.

as always try to select neutral colors, or a stone ceramic that is not to busy. so it will match with anything and you won't get tired of looking at it.

enjoy you have just raised your property value. and installed some relatively maintenance free materials to your home.

formica/laminated counter tops are ratty/trashy looking in my opinion, but they are pretty cheap..and you get what you pay for

corian..WTF!!! why would you want some shit that wants to be stone..get the real deal, just get stone. after all corian is just as expensive if not more than real stone.

peace
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

:D Lab? Oh yeah, I forgot about all the science experiments we did in the kitchen, too. :D

Our kitchen has had a lot of use. Like I say, we cook a lot, and can, and everything else. All the appliances have been replaced at least once, the vinyl floor has been replaced with ceramic tile ( a very cost-effective flooring, if you ask me), and the molding redone. But the laminate counter tops keep soldiering on.

John: I like the clarity you bring to the conversation .... at least one portion of the counter space should be cushioned !

John: I like the clarity you bring to the conversation .... at least one portion of the counter space should be cushioned !
We just throw a blanket over it. That's all the cushion you need. ;)B|

We just throw a blanket over it. That's all the cushion you need. ;)B|

I think that's the right thing to do ... besides.... it's up to how long your are willing to cook it up

Only possible argument you have is that the laminate is a porous surface that stores bacteria and odors where the solid surface materials do not. Laminate is a very cost efficient countertop material, its less green then stone but more green then the Corian type materials.

Granite is generally more porous than laminate.

Granite is more expensive,and i lot heavier, the cabinets may not be structurally sound enough to maintain the granites weight. Laminates are much lower maintenance than granite also.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Laminates are much lower maintenance than granite also.

of course they are squeak..thats why you see so many skyscrapers and upscale buildings covered with granite..oops i meant laminate

LMAO!!!

you got one thing right though, laminate is some cheap ass shit..
Perry Farrell

It's their money.Why do you care?

Inheritance ?

:D:D
NOW it all becomes clear.
:D:D

Yep... it's the nature of mankind... it's hard to find a truly altruistic position in a society (I mean anywhere in the world) that uses money as the basis of human categories ...

Laminates are much lower maintenance than granite also.

of course they are squeak..thats why you see so many skyscrapers and upscale buildings covered with granite..oops i meant laminate

LMAO!!!

you got one thing right though, laminate is some cheap ass shit..
Do you have an intelligent comment in you?:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

whadya mean squeaks...

i have observed that many skyscrapers and nice buildings are covered inside and out with laminate.

my conclusion is that laminate can take the pain of time and the elements thus it must be superior to granite.

B|

i just straightened my shirt and hair out..do i look high???

Perry Farrell

Actually, laminate is making quite a comeback in the upperend market. I don't know about other areas, but here in OK, your uppercrust homes tend to lead the charge of designing tastes in your mid priced homes, and so on. You can find some really interesting laminate patterns, that are not dated, and actually aren't hardly if at all cheaper than solid surface counter tops, by the time you have redecked. Check different home trends magazines and you will find some examples of different laminates people are using. ;)

I had my kitchen completely redone. Everything was ripped out, down to the subfloor and wall studs. I went with a nice simple cabinet design and materials that were very good and sturdy. I just wish we had enough in the budget for counter-tops made with something better than laminated, but I love our laminated counter-tops. They look great and the installer did a top-notch job on them. I keep them clean with those Clorox wipes, and always use hot pads for the stuff that comes out of the oven or off the stove and a cutting board for anything that needs trimming or chopping. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban