simplyputsi

Kitchen remodeling, help with argument

Ok so help me out with this. My parents are looking into refinishing their kitchen. The house is coming up on being 15 years old, and there really is nothing wrong with the kitchen, but it's dated and some of the cabinets finish is coming up. The doors are laminated and it's coming up in places.

Anyway, so here comes the argument. They want to re face the cabinets and put in new countertops. I ask if they are going granite or corean(sp) or something similar and my mom says she want to put laminate that has a pattern to it, like granite. I said why, why would you replace something with the same thing you have that has nothing wrong with it? Not only that buy why would you not UPDATE your kitchen? When people update the kitchen these days they most times go with the granite or similar. Or am I wrong?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around why anyone would redo a kitchen and not use granite or similar. My mom even tried to tell me that granite can chip and she was sure that it would happen to her. Mind you the counters she has now don't have a dent, scratch, blemish.

I really don't get my parents.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Just trying to inform them of how things work these days.
I did leave saying it's your money, I'm just trying to tell you how to get the most for your money.

I tried that hungarian..... I said when people are looking at houses these days they are going to see updated appliances, floor, cabinets, but then what is with the laminate counter top? That went in one ear and out the other because they don't plan on selling the place any time soon.
Of all people my mom should see the problem, as her parents house was very very outdated and took pretty much a 200k loss of value when put on the market because the kitchen, the bathrooms, the living room, the sitting room, pretty much everything was outdated and buyers saw that. It's just smart in my opinion to put something more durable and long lasting in than laminate, which is already there as I've said.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Ok so help me out with this. My parents are looking into refinishing their kitchen. The house is coming up on being 15 years old, and there really is nothing wrong with the kitchen, but it's dated and some of the cabinets finish is coming up. The doors are laminated and it's coming up in places.

Anyway, so here comes the argument. They want to re face the cabinets and put in new countertops. I ask if they are going granite or corean(sp) or something similar and my mom says she want to put laminate that has a pattern to it, like granite. I said why, why would you replace something with the same thing you have that has nothing wrong with it? Not only that buy why would you not UPDATE your kitchen? When people update the kitchen these days they most times go with the granite or similar. Or am I wrong?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around why anyone would redo a kitchen and not use granite or similar. My mom even tried to tell me that granite can chip and she was sure that it would happen to her. Mind you the counters she has now don't have a dent, scratch, blemish.

I really don't get my parents.

Go home and remodel YOUR kitchen, let them do what ever they want.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

very well put.

Just have one question for you though.
You don't ever try to help your parents out? Or you don't ever give your opinion to your parents?

BTW, my kitchen is halfway redone. Working on the plan for the cabinets now. So nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Skymama's #2 stalker -

very well put.

Just have one question for you though.
You don't ever try to help your parents out? Or you don't ever give your opinion to your parents?

BTW, my kitchen is halfway redone. Working on the plan for the cabinets now. So nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My dad was a Drill instructor in the Marine Corp for 16 years, CMH in the Korean war, He asks for my opinion and then gives it to me. Mom is just as tough.;)

It's just smart in my opinion to put something more durable and long lasting in than laminate, which is already there as I've said.

If laminate has lasted the 15 years they've lived there, it's probably durable and long lasting enough. And cheaper too. If they have no plans to sell the house, why does it matter if what they use isn't what "most buyers want"?

You can always rip out the laminate and put in granite when they die so you can get top dollar out of their house...

ohhhh hahaha.

I forgot to mention they don't exactly agree either. Dad says it's granite or similar and mom is saying it's the granite looking laminate. But, it's really moms money so..............

When my dad argue about stuff like that, i have learned to say "HEY! Howbout those lions" our shitty football team here in Mich. I will never remodel again, did 17 houses when i was in real estate and built 2 of my own. WOuld do a brand new one again, but not a remodel. Good luck

I wouldn't sell my parents house, it's a good house and in a great location in my opinion.

Why replace the laminate then? Why would you replace something that has nothing wrong with it, with the same?

To me it's which one of these does not belong. You have the updated stainless oven and microwave, nice dishwasher, cabinets will be updated to modern, and then bam, laminate. Hmm interesting choice.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Maybe they heard the granite countertops emit low level Radon?

Maybe they just figured while they are tearing stuff out it would be easier to change it out now rather than later?

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like even though she still wants laminate, she is changing the look of it - so it kinda is a change :)

Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Only possible argument you have is that the laminate is a porous surface that stores bacteria and odors where the solid surface materials do not. Laminate is a very cost efficient countertop material, its less green then stone but more green then the Corian type materials.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have granite in one kitchen and silestone in another. Silestone is a lot cheaper, still looks good and heartier. Maybe you can convince them to get that.

There is maintenance you still have to do with granite. Every year, they suggest you reseal it. Also, you can't place anything too hot on it (like laminate, but I believe laminate is less affected by it) and you have to watch for spills that are acidic. like ketchup lemon juice ect. it will eat the finish if left on too long.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

1st off, Laminate is ok if your on a really tight budget. Refinishing cabinet doors is the cheep way to go as well. Your better off replacing the doors with real wood as a 2nd option. If your going to step up the counter top, Granite will show the seams, absolutly. Corian, will not chip, and will not show the seams. Corian, also, has a lifetime warranty for the material, and your installer should give you a warranty for the install as well. My wife is a certified kitchen/bathroom designer..and Corian as well as Granite/Laminate is in her bag of tricks.

If you have the extra cash and want to step it up a bit...then go with the Granite. Your overall value of your house will be the same with jGranite or Corian. Now on to the fixtures...there is a lot of way to go from cheapppp to extra spendy. Lots of options in the kitchen.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Maybe your parents think like my husband and I do - we don't design my house around the next person's taste, we design according to our taste. That's why we have "The Green Room" and "The Red Room" and "The Blue Room" etc. That's why the entire back wall of our kitchen is a roll-up glass garage door. Our kitchen and bathroom counters are made from recycled bowling alley floor.

If she likes laminate and does most of the kitchen things then laminate it is. If your dad likes something else and he's the one that does most of the kitchen things, then get what he prefers. The best marble/granite/natural stone compromise is to get a piece of marble from a place that sells leftovers from counter or floor manufacturing and keep it around to put on the counter for things like hot pans or rolling out pastry, etc.

I wanted to get a poured concrete counter-top but the look of the bowling alley floor is wonderful. Besides, it has no finish on it (sanded completely off) so if there's a stain or a nick or something it will either work itself out of the wood over time or we can sand it out. It seems like the strangest counter-top to most people and the common question is "how do you keep it clean since it's pourous?" Steam cleaner. I love my steam cleaner.

None of that matters. Mom wants laminate, different colored or patterned laminate than what she has? Mom gets laminate.

For the love of god don't get Corian. My parents bought a house several years ago that had Corian counter tops. She hated them. Dad (who does most of the cooking) swore at them - actually at the counter tops - on a daily basis. Impossible to get stains out of, burns easily, god help you if you get a knife nick, etc. Hurricane Ivan destroyed half of their house and all my parents really had to say about it was "Thankfully the ugly berber carpet has to be torn out. Sadly, the counter tops survived." With all the repairs they had to have done after the hurricane, they threw in new counters as well.

As far as not getting your parents??? Who the hell does? Parents don't get us either. It's called The Generation Gap.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Actually, laminate is making quite a comeback in the upperend market. I don't know about other areas, but here in OK, your uppercrust homes tend to lead the charge of designing tastes in your mid priced homes, and so on. You can find some really interesting laminate patterns, that are not dated, and actually aren't hardly if at all cheaper than solid surface counter tops, by the time you have redecked. Check different home trends magazines and you will find some examples of different laminates people are using. ;)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

We build custom homes and additions, all of our customers put granite in their kitchens. I put it in my house that I just remodeled and also the house I just sold. I was told that one of the reasons why my house beat out the rest in the market is because I upgraded from vinyl to tile floors and laminate to granite countertops.

You never know when you're going to have to sell a house, if you're going to spend money on remodeling, you should spend it on what the current market trends are.

Depending on the amount of granite needed, your parents may be able to shop the Supplier's remnant yard which would get them a better price.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There is maintenance you still have to do with granite. Every year, they suggest you reseal it. Also, you can't place anything too hot on it (like laminate, but I believe laminate is less affected by it) and you have to watch for spills that are acidic. like ketchup lemon juice ect. it will eat the finish if left on too long.

Our 17 year old textured laminate counter tops have seen a lot of cooking, bottling, beer making and butchering. They still look fine. I don't worry about lemon juice eating into them. Blackberries have left no stains. Heavy pots haven't chipped or cracked them. I like the look of granite, but it sounds like it has its problems too.

Our 17 year old textured laminate counter tops have seen a lot of cooking, bottling, beer making and butchering. They still look fine. I don't worry about lemon juice eating into them. Blackberries have left no stains. Heavy pots haven't chipped or cracked them. I like the look of granite, but it sounds like it has its problems too.

Are you guys running a test lab?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"