sharimcm

Airbag deployment... Does anyone know?

I've been getting conflicting reports from Chrysler about what the speed has to be before an airbag will deploy. Anyone have an idea? They told me 27 mph, then they lowered it to 18mph, and another person told me over 30mph. WTF?

Basically, I was driving my parent's 2000 Chrysler Concorde when a woman ran a stop sign and I t-boned her. The front of the Chrysler was torn off completely but the airbags never deployed?? I was going 35mph and wasn't able to slow down THAT much before I realized what the bitch was doing. She SAID she didn't "see me." The doctor told me if the bags DID deploy, I wouldn't be hurting as much as I have been. The Flexeril is nice though.

Anyhoo, I asked the shop to look in to it, but they said until her insurance adjuster shows up (who knows when that will be), they can't "tear" the car apart. If they decide to fix the car, I'm not willing to drive the thing if the airbags are faulty.

Pic attached...

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

No pic. but that aside it can depend on the angle of the accident that determines if the airbag will deploy. there is a little gold ball that will roll forward and complete the circuit. Some air bags will only deploy if it is a direct forward on collision. I have an airbag in my car when my ex-roommate hit another car glancing blow in the rear the airbag did not deploy. this is why side airbags and other airbags are used. Not all of them will deploy depending on the angle of the accident.

edited to add: oh I see a pic now maybe I missed it.

after looking at the pic I wouldn't think the airbag would have come out. seems you slowed down enough to make it a glancing T-bone rather that a full blown smash. Sorry bout your accident glad your ok hope your not in to much pain...
I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

I'm wondering if you have to hit just right. I got in an accident where I slammed a guard rail and I must have still been doing at least 50-60mph and my airbags didn't go off. But I hit it at an angle. Luckily I was ok. My friend got in an accident in his car and his dad works for chrysler and his dad said the airbags should have gone off since we were going over 20mph. So I assumed it was somewhere around 20mph. he hit off center too. just the right front side.

pic of my accident attached for fun.

ssssup shari, long time...

i came loose in a corner uptown in new orleans and drove through an entire restaurant in a dodge truck the airbags didnt come out until i hit the stove in the kitchen the hood assembly had already ripped the top of my truck off by then..but they did come out eventually..

I thought i was dreaming when the bags hit me those things are violent as all fucking hell. you are probably better off they didn't come out on you.

a friend of mine was goofing off and hit one of those 3ft yellow pipes filled with concrete at a super slow speed in a parking lot and his airbags came out and broke his nose, a wrist, and cracked a few ribs
without the airbags he would have just had a dented bumper

again those things are violent as fuck, i'm glad you didn't find out..and i'm glad you're ok
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

I'm involved in a LOT of accident scenes. Airbags don't go off a lot of times when you think they should. Sometimes they go off for a really minor accident.

It has a lot to do with the angle, any aftermarket accessories (bumpers, body kits, brush guards, etc) and sometimes the just flat out don't go off. I worked a fatality where the steering wheel was sheared off of the column, airbag never went off before that (it really should have). I won't go into all the details here, but it was one of a number of fatality accidents I've worked. No the airbag really wouldn't have mattered in this accident, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've been getting conflicting reports from Chrysler about what the speed has to be before an airbag will deploy. Anyone have an idea? They told me 27 mph, then they lowered it to 18mph, and another person told me over 30mph. WTF?

Basically, I was driving my parent's 2000 Chrysler Concorde when a woman ran a stop sign and I t-boned her. The front of the Chrysler was torn off completely but the airbags never deployed?? I was going 35mph and wasn't able to slow down THAT much before I realized what the bitch was doing. She SAID she didn't "see me." The doctor told me if the bags DID deploy, I wouldn't be hurting as much as I have been. The Flexeril is nice though.

Anyhoo, I asked the shop to look in to it, but they said until her insurance adjuster shows up (who knows when that will be), they can't "tear" the car apart. If they decide to fix the car, I'm not willing to drive the thing if the airbags are faulty.

Pic attached...

Airbags.... the shinning example of common sense going the way of the baby and the bathwater....

So, I am accelerating forward at +4 to +7 Gravitational Forces ... (Gs)... the answer to the problem? Shoot something back at me at +4 or +7Gs and collide in the center.... use a device that seems to have negligeble mass... and the resulting collision is "more acceptable" thatn hitting a static object designed within the system....
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

here are a couple links for those that are interested. just a little info and yeah you are right about your friend he would have been better off had the airbag not deployed.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/airbags/airbags03/page3.html

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/archives/2000-releases/press09282000.html

wow apparently I don't know how to use the url to make it clicky I thought all you had to do was hit the url botton before and after the link.
I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

Thats not uncommon for the air bags not to deploy in a glancing blow like the one you experienced in your accident.I know "glancing" makes it sound soft, But I do understand the impact your body felt. Your airbag sensor however doesn't sense what you feel unfortunately, it just fires when it's speed and deceleration parameters are met.

The sensor, or more likely, the sensor in conjunction with a computer, decides whether or not to deploy the bag based on the severity of the accident. The usual deployment algorithm involves in effect only the velocity change of the vehicle although more complicated algorithms are being incorporated into newer systems.

Source: http://www.e-z.net/~ts/airbags.htm

More than you prolly want to know...

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Airbags/airbags.html
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Way back in the day when I was GM certified in S.I.R.(airbags), the rule was it had to be within 30 degrees of head on. I don't remember the MPH required but 30 ish sounds right. The seldom told fun fact of airbags is that the computer that runs it has a battery back up, so the bags will deploy if the cars battery is destroyed. It will still fire the airbags for 8 minutes after the cars battery is fried.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

appears to be very minor damage.. air bag deployments are violent, loud...people have been killed by the bags... its much better to repair the bumper fascia, rad, hood...etc... then for the bags to go off for a minor accident and have to replace the bags and the dash... which might make it a total.... also some models have impact sensors in the front along with the control module and some have a control module only.... i believe yours only has an air bag module... the sensor monitors crash frequency... i met a guy at school who used a cordless impact to remove the module and set off both bags just from the vibration.... tony

appears to be very minor damage..

Appears to be minor, yes, but according to the preliminary estimate, the car is totaled. The "visual" inspection by the shop was $3500, and now after mechanical inspection was done, it's up to $4300 (I somehow shattered the power steering pulley and 'damaged' part of the transmission??). The car is only worth about 4200 in excellent retail condition.

I'm still hurting pretty bad from impact as well as my passenger (which is even worse because she's pregnant). :| I will say, however, I am only taking one of my pills at night and trying to survive off of Aleve and/or Advil during the day. The doc said I'll be hurting for about two weeks. B| I'm just happy to be alive. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Air Bags deploy based on delta V (change in Velocoty). The computer takes into account several factors and deploys the system only when Delta V reaches a specific point. I have a really good video I show my "Know your Car" students. I'll try to copy the part about how the computer uses sensors to determine the rate of change in velocoty.

It all sounds very complicated, but in reality is very simple. If the airbag did not deply, it's because there was not sufficient Delta V. Many times, if you impact another vehicle, crunch zones and so forth work in you favor.

Hope noone was hurt! Drive carefully.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Geeting loose in uptown New Orleans ??? That doesn't sound like a place you should have enough speed to get " loose " let alone go thru a resturant all the way to the kitchen stove !!! Holy Mother of Fuck, thats the funniest thing i've heard in a long time...lol,,christ, my ribs hurt !! This should be posted in the " Stupid things I have done " thread,,wow
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

yeah that shit was pretty stupid. nooooo doubt one of my stupidest moves ever

I was leaving snake and jakes(the bunker) from a send off to one of the bros, and took broadway up to the river. I was coming down river road where it turns into magazine st. by the audubon zoo. I had some brand spankin new rubber on my truck. I miss that truck it was my baby had over 8k under the hood. beautiful fucking truck

those tires were warm and hooked the fuck up, or so i thought. I wasn't drunk but I had a few shots of liquid courage in me. so i swung around that curve onto magazine upwards of 75mph, and that motherfucker let go on me in the corner just inches past that big ass magnolia tree luckily.

I went straight through the front corner of anderson & dabellas, completely through the dining room and the waiters station and all the way into the back of the kitchen. if I would have missed the stove I think that I might have cleared the whole building.

well I peeled the airbag off of me, and fell out of the truck. there was tables, chairs, silverware, glass, pots, pans, the kitchen fucking sink, shit was everywhere. it was hard to find my way out of that motherfucker in the dark. I came out of the same hole in the front corner where I went in. was a perfect truck size hole.

I was stupefied as fuck, cars were still passing by like nothing happened. I figured nobody saw it, so I just walked up magazine st to the house. at that time I owned a house on 6th street. got to the house and called and reported my truck stolen.

by the time the police got to the scene of the accident there was motherfuckers looting the restaurant. the N.O.P.D called me and told me they found my truck , that it was used in a robbery, and it had been driven through a restaurant.

the police came to the house I signed the police report the insurance company paid out $13,310 for my truck. that truck was worth at least 2 times that I lost my ass..

the truck was so fucking mangled everybody that saw that truck could not believe that anybody walked away from that crash. I didn't have a scratch on me just a powder burn on each wrist from the airbag deployment.

got lucky that I didn't get killed or kill anybody...learned that lesson with just a broken heart that i lost that truck
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Everyone saying a glance wont do it, what about at a 45 degree off the front right into a barricade? Both mine deployed and never hit anything dead on!

Glad you are okay! Check to make sure the airbags are working, they are lifesavers!

Like skyjumpenfool said, if the sensors "see" the impact the right way, they go off. If not, not. Speed, angle of impact, ect, don't automatically make/prevent activation. You can also accidentaly activate the airbag while working on the electrical system if you short the wrong circuit, or if you hit the sensor right. Odd fact: the passenger side airbag in a Porsche 928 is about $5k to replace because it takes out most of the dash when it activates.

The airbag system has a self-diagnostic program in it. When you first start the car, the "airbag" light on the dash flashes. If it goes out, the system checks ok. It is supposed to be comprehensive enough that it will work if it checks ok (bad sensors, broken wires, bad inflation modules, ect are all supposed to fail the self check)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo