skymama

Any coin/currency collectors out there?

For the past few years, my son has asked me for a $10 silver certificate for Christmas and I never get it for him because I just don't know anything about buying money. But, I've decided that this will be there year!

There are a bunch of silver certificates listed on EBay, but I don't really know which one to get. Should I always go for the better quality, even if it means paying double the price? Is there a way to find out if the value of these things is actually increasing over the years to warrant the extra expense?

(I know I have the "buy it now" link attached. I hate EBay and hate bidding, I'd rather just buy something and be done with it)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Interesting. I have in my wallet right now silver certificates from 1934 and 1935. I've had them in a safe deposit box forever with no idea what they are really worth. Turns out a guy I work with is a coin collector, so I asked him. He said what is the denomination? 10 dollars I said. He replied that they are worth 10 dollars. Apparently paper currency doesn't appreciate because it is difficult to preserve.

I have a friend in Dallas that makes a living with coin collectors and rare money.

The "collector" money the US makes is pretty much worthless beyond face value ... unless it's Confederate dollars or a few silver dollars.
For the most part anyway...

so he says...and he does make damn good money at his job.

Well, i collect such things but really don't know the value. More of a it came across my path and I kept it kind of collector.

Some of those seem pretty spensive though. I'd say double is nothing to fret about. My guess is the $10 ones are a tad more rare than the $1 ones.

Have you tried stopping by a local collector store? Just a thought, they can at least fill you in on the ins and outs, maybe.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

There's nothing really "local" for me to go to that I could find. Plus, I just think they'd see "sucker" written all over me. That's why I came to you guys! ;)

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have to agree with what's been said, it's worth 10, but that doesn't mean someone wants to part with it for that much.

I have a $1 certificate. I'm not getting rid of it for $1.

I dunno if they would see sucker. Tell them you're not looking to buy, but that you'd like to know how much something would be worth. Some collectors really just want to tell you what they know. But yeah there are scum bags out there. What can you do.

post on dz.com that is what you can do :P;)

Skymama's #2 stalker -

Apparently paper currency doesn't appreciate because it is difficult to preserve.

I would think that this would cause the value to of well preserved paper currency to be more valueable instead of less valueable... and thus more sought after... but I'm not a collector...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have a friend in Dallas that makes a living with coin collectors and rare money.

The "collector" money the US makes is pretty much worthless beyond face value ... unless it's Confederate dollars or a few silver dollars.
For the most part anyway...

so he says...and he does make damn good money at his job.

Yep... when it comes to paper money, about all that's worth more than face value are the confederate bills. I had a bunch of them - $10, $20, even a pristine $100 bill stashed in my grandfather's personal effects that got passed down through the generations as well as an 1843 gold dollar coin, among others.

I got into dire financial straits once when I had nothing left but these items. I hated parting with them, but had to. Did get top dollar for them though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

get him that silver dollar with obamas face they keep putting up on infomercials..

that one should be worth something down the line, him being the first blick president and all

I didn't know blick was a color... wow... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I didn't know blick was a color...

You would if you ever watched "Lethal Weapon" and the South African consulate...
"Why he can't become a citizen of SOuth Africa."
"Why not?"
"He's Blick"
"He's blick?"
"What is blick?"
"His color, he's blick"
"Hey, did you know you're blick?"

But, you get a pass for being deef. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I don't know a lot about them but just a couple of minutes research leads me to believe most of those ebay prices are rip offs. Especially $7 for a COPY of a silver certificate!>:( Find somewhere besides ebay to buy it. The 10 for $30 is still probably a premium but more realistic.

thread hijack below........

Seeing the fanned bills on ebay reminded me of one of the coolest things I've ever saw. A friend went to the bank and got 50 $1 bills, uncirculated. Then went to an office store and got them 'bound' into a pad like a note pad with the red 'rubber' along the edge of the stack. Then she had fun peeling them off in front of sales people.B|

Back to thread.

I don't know how old you son is but I wouldn't get one of the truely rare silver certificates, or an uncirculated one. See if you can find an online store other than ebay. I've found a lot of 'collectable' things, like stamps, to be way overpriced, even for retail, on ebay.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There's nothing really "local" for me to go to that I could find. Plus, I just think they'd see "sucker" written all over me. That's why I came to you guys! ;)

I find it hard to believe that there are no coin shops in central Florida. I found 30 just on the Yellow pages website for Orlando. Pick up the phone and call around. Most of them will have stuff in the display cases already priced so they won't be able to jack the price up just for you. You might pay a bit more than at a coin show or something similar, a bit more because of the season, but if you shop around, you shouldn't get hosed too bad.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I find it hard to believe that there are no coin shops in central Florida. I found 30 just on the Yellow pages website for Orlando.

Orlando isn't really "local" and driving in Orlando traffic makes it really not local.

Orlando isn't really "local" and driving in Orlando traffic makes it really not local.

If I can drive from SC to FL just for a mission of mercy glitter delivery run, you can drive to Orlando for a Christmas gift for a kid that really deserves it.:P
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I find it hard to believe that there are no coin shops in central Florida. I found 30 just on the Yellow pages website for Orlando.

Ok, I looked at the closest city on your location map. You don't list a home town, but there's at least 4 in Deland. My point was (is) that these places are everywhere, I'm sure there has to be a couple within reasonable distance from you.
FWIW I'm in favor of supporting local small businesses over sites like E-bay whenever practical.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

the johnrich idea about the morgan silver dollar coins!!!! really is a good one.. Many of them are from the late 1800's , and so are now, over a hundred years old.,:o:)
they make a nice hefty good luck piece to keep in a pocket...:)conditions of coins that old will vary and so does the price, but a 10 dollar bill might buy one real nice one, or a couple of 'worn ones'..
i got my wife 25 of them , for our silver wedding anniv... a couple of years ago..
( also got her 25 'mini-snickers' bars :PB| among other things...)

Some of them are in better condition than others,,, i bought a variety ,,with dates from 1879 up through 1924. nice keepsakes...

the Eisenhower Dollar coins are neat too ,, cause they are BiG like the old time silver dollars,, but they are sandwich coins , with copper centers they are worth about a buck and a half.. and are also nice to keep in a pocket. i sometimes visit a local coin shop and swap a a five and a ten dollar bill for 10 of them.....when they are clinking around , in my pocket, it makes me feel rich...;)

However,, since you say he would prefer the paper currency,, the other novelty option might be 5 TWO dollar bills....:ph34r::DB|

jt

Spot is down now. How about buying a couple of silver eagles from a local coin shop. Try to negotiate for a coin at just a couple of dollars above spot. http://www.kitcosilver.com/ look at what spot is before you go to buy. you should be able to get an ounce coin of bar for about 10 to 15 dollars would be a fair price. I need to buy some more before spot goes back up again.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192