normiss

One Six Right!!!

I got the video and went to one of the I-MAX shows here in the NYC area when it first came out. Very cool show and a lot of history in that airport. Was a great night to get dress up and have a wonderful show. This is a MUST buy DVD to have in your collection.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I've gotten to be the pilot at the controls of a DC-3 landing on that runway!

Oh I envy you! There are a few things that I always wanted to hear. I wanted my call sign to be a "heavy" and I want to hear "Clear to land, runway 16 right". That would be fun.B|

Oh I envy you! There are a few things that I always wanted to hear. I wanted my call sign to be a "heavy" and I want to hear "Clear to land, runway 16 right". That would be fun.B|

THAT would interesting...a heavy going into Van Nuys! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

THAT would interesting...a heavy going into Van Nuys! :ph34r:

:o
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

THAT would interesting...a heavy going into Van Nuys!

Why not? They have 8,000ft runway. I'm sure they could handle it. Didn't Airforce One land out there?

No, a 747-200 calls for over 9000' @ take off...that would put 'em in the In & Out drive thru. ;)

It's the 3rd busiest civil aviation airport in the country & NO commercial flights go through there.

...and since there are no 'terminal' facilities for anything not self-contained the passengers would have to go down the emergency slides to get off.:ph34r:

A lot of private charter jets use that airport, I met Johnny Depp there a couple weeks ago.

Why not? They have 8,000ft runway. I'm sure they could handle it. Didn't Airforce One land out there?

No, a 747-200 calls for over 9000' @ take off...that would put 'em in the In & Out drive thru. ;)

It's the 3rd busies civil aviation airport in the country & NO commercial flights go through there.

...and since there are no 'terminal' facilities for anything not self-contained the passengers would have to go down the emergency slides to get off.:ph34r:

A lot of private charter jets use that airport, I met Johnny Depp there a couple weeks ago.

There aren't any commercial flights, but there are BBJ's there on a constant basis. Not considered 'heavy's" but still very large jets capable of commercial flight.

Where was Depp?

It's the 3rd busies civil aviation airport in the country & NO commercial flights go through there.

There aren't any commercial flights, but there are BBJ's there on a constant basis. Not considered 'heavy's" but still very large jets capable of commercial flight.

Where was Depp?

BBJ's (737) aren't heavies, they're mid-sized commuter jets, they were kinda designed for airports like Van Nuys.

IIRC the fuel on a a triple 7-300 weights more than a 737.

>>Where was Depp?

I met him outside the charter terminal across from Clay Lacy's hangar, I was outside smoking and he came out and joined me.B|

Edited to add: We made some 'small talk', and even though I was dyin' to say it...

I didn't ask ~ ~ Why's The RUM Gone? B|

No, a 747-200 calls for over 9000' @ take off...that would put 'em in the In & Out drive thru.

I think that depends on how much it is loaded for takeoff. I watched AF-1 go out of South Bend IN when Bush gave a graduation speach at ND and they only have 8,400.

It's the 3rd busiest civil aviation airport in the country

What are the top 2 airports? Teterboro NJ?

We miss you, Harry!

ltdiver

I saw that last night and kinda froze up for a few minutes, flashed back to all the GREAT flying conversations we had at Oshkosh.

People like Harry don't come around very often, he will be missed and it was truly an honor to call him friend.

Anybody?
THIS will bring tears to your eyes.
B|B|B|

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1738508#1738508

I posted a link about one six right 3 years ago, the 'preview' link isn't active anymore but to get to THAT video piece, which is even MORE dramatic than what your link shows....(why they changed it I have no idea :S)

Click the site link you posted, click 'launch official site', when that starts click the 'video' link...3 clips are available, click the 'FLIGHT' option, crank the volume and sit back! B|

I love that airport, we go often....my better half is now taking R-22 lessons a couple times a month, we stay in the hotel right next to 16R, where in the parking lot under tarps happens to be the framework from the hangar use in the filming of Casablanca...(recently torn down for expansion)

The hotel saved it from demolition and will be rebuilding a section of the hangar as part of their building...the history and vibes that airport has never fails to send shivers down this ole guys back! B|