jtval

I finally tried Vista...I need help

I personally regret that I didnt just go with MAC.
I've had nothing but problems since i got vista.
The full name is Asta la Vista. I guess that's what they were saying to their customers.

My CURRENT problem is that my "mybook" (wd5000F032) stopped being recognized by the OS.
I don't know why. It was working fine when I first got the new computer. I searched for firmware and they don't make any for 64bit vista. But it confuses the shit out of me becuase it worked before.

Anyone have any secrets?

I went here and tried downloading the firmware I added a new folder in my program folder so I could find it easily.

Well the computer recognizes it when I search but the folder is not there when I click on the file in the search "found" files. It it also not there when I manually go to the "my programs" folder.
WTF is up with this thing?
Anybody?

This computer is WAY too slow for a duo core with 4gb ram. My old laptop was faster and it was a single core fossil.
>:(
My photos

My Videos

dude im sorry i cant help, really am b/c im in the same vista issue. im about a week from wiping vista and loading XP. everything will run much smoother.

I run nothing but XP, I wont touch Vista i have heard nothing but bad things about it
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Be sure you're logged in as an admin.
The 64 bit OS should still see the drive if you are. You might have dismounted without removing drive?
Clear boot cache may/should clear that problem.
Have you created any user accounts?

FWIW, I ranted, raved, and swore blue streaks over Vista Ultimate for about a month. Now that I know how it works, I rarely boot my Mac OS on the MacBook pro. I really have come to like it quite a bit. 64 bit Vegas and Adobe apps really rock. Some hardware issues for audio tools and peripherals, but outside of those...it screams.

I've been using Vista for a while now - no problems (so far) - seems stable enough my my use or I'm just lucky..... maybes it because I actually bought my copy........ for a change:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I personally regret that I didnt just go with MAC.

First, I have nothing to offer in the way of help.

I was going to post a smart-ass comment but given your right-up-front willingness to accept responsibility for the screw up I'll offer condolences instead.

It's suprising how many haven't yet realized that Microsoft is a feed-the-geeks company while Apple/Mac's approach is user-friendiness.

I've always said, "If you want to have to learn all about how computers work and how to fix them, go Windows. If you want to actually produce something, go Mac."

Apparently, with Vista, it's even more true nowadays.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Apple/Mac's approach is user-friendiness

Yeah..as long as only want to do what Reverend Jobs lets you...

Edit to add:

JT - have you added any users, or are you still using the original administrator login? If you're not already, try logging in on the admin acocunt and see if it shows up - if so, then go to the permissions on the drive and add your other username with read/write/modify permissions.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've always said, "If you want to have to learn all about how computers work and how to fix them, go Windows. If you want to actually produce something, go Mac."

Apparently, with Vista, it's even more true nowadays.

yeah...right. Care to compare produced content?
How many of each have you recently owned?

Vista has a known problem with USB-attached drives.

1) Detach all USB devices from the computer
2) Reboot and enter SAFE mode with Admin rights
3) On the Device Manager
a) Delete all Human Interface Devices
b) Delete all USB Controllers
4) Reboot
5) Attached USB Hard drive first and wait for the drivers to install
6) Repeat #5 for every USB port on the sytem (seriosly).
7) Reboot and make sure you can see the drive in subsequent reboots on any USB port.
8) Now you can plug (one at a time) any other HID devices (mouse, etc)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

[yeah...right. Care to compare produced content?
How many of each have you recently owned?

Did someone get their feathers ruffled?
:D

It's nice to know that you have met the "geek" requirements and can now produce.

How many of each? Knowing nothing about me and my background, do you really want to ask that in that manner?

I'd decline answering anyway, so what's the point? No, I changed my mind...I'll answer: At least 1 of each.
:D

(Do I foresee the normal, "So you refuse to answer. That must mean (fill in whatever fits to shore up your point)" response?

Instead of getting your dander up, focus more on helping the OP, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Check this page out, about half-way down where the external drives starts. Some common issues and links to resolution

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1529&p_created=1174506202&p_sid=VAmUERkj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=2516&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjAsNjAmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dmlzdGE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Also try the drive on a different computer. Could be a problem with the WD drive itself, too. Maybe volume corruption or a hardware issue. Or maybe it is Vista.

Vista, in and of itself, isn't a "slow" OS, tho its got a much larger footprint than XP. With systems being so much faster than 4 years ago they've built it to use that. With any computer the overall speed of a system is the sum of the individual parts. A great processor in a system with an IDE 5,400 rpm 8mb cache drive is going to be "slower" when performing drive activities than that same system with a SATA 3.0 7,200 32mb cache system. Same goes with USB 2.0 connections...slower than an internal drive with SATA. In short, "fast" will be the sum of hard drive, memory, processor, motherboard, vid card, what you are doing, wireless card type (g, n, etc), monitor, etc.

Apple owns their hardware...they aren't competing for cost with anyone (yet). So they can put out a system with better internal components and charge more for their computers and people will pay it. But the consumer gets a certain level of experience because of that. I have a 2nd gen Mac Pro. If I boot to Vista on bootcamp this system is incredibly fast, same load time as when booting Mac OS X natively. I have spent about $3,800 on it. For $1,000 I built my Dad a Vista machine and the Vista experience index for his system was a 5.4 (higher is better, 5.0 was the "best" when Vista was released). Under bootcamp my Mac Pro comes in at 5.9. Worth the extra rig? For me, hell yeah! But what happens is that Vista runs on a lot of hardware, albeit poorly, and that makes the overall user experience suffer.

cheers

Nope, no feathers ruffled...just another person who has given me a chuckle at the ignorance of 'puters.
Look at my original post. I asked some questions, most of which have been repeated by others. I believe that post to be a helpful post, whereas 'buy a Mac" and "If you wanna produce, buy a Mac" aren't.

My primary personal computer is a MacBook Pro running Bootcamp with Vista.
We own roughly 100 PC's, most of which are Vista Ultimate.
We own approximately 50 Apple computers, all of which are Tiger or newer.
In other words, I use both daily. And I don't have a head-in-the-sand opinion like most Apple users.
They're tools. Apple forces you to do it THEIR WAY and no other way. PC offers options.
Hardly a geek....More of a worker bee. And when a platform makes me convert audio or video to suit their particular workflow, "being cool" and wearing the Apple hat sorta goes out the window when entire days are spent conforming to Apple ProRez and not being compatible with most other systems.

As far as the OP....until he answers some questions, no one can help him any further.
Incidentally, Apple has very similar external USB drive issues, and they don't like 1394 raids either (even though Apple owns many patents on 1394 technology.

they're just tools. Nothing more. It's ignorant to say that either one allows you to be more creative or smarter.
One may get you more chicks....(or boyz, if you're in the right neck of the woods).

I haven't had any major problems with either of my vista computers... and I produce a number of photos/videos.

and I can work with/generate more formats without heartache using Sony Vegas then our year end video producer did using his Mac...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've just installed Vista on a new computer I built up and its the first time I've ever used it. Been a piece of piss. Installed easily, no hardware issues. Runs like a dream. So far, no bugs that I've noticed. Seems very stable. Can't complain.

Like Tony said, I dug deep in my pocket and paid for a genuine version of Vista Premium. With all the updates and security measures I haven't had a problem whereas a dodgy copy of XP I had would allow my computer to be infected almost immediately without service pack updates etc.

I was running freespire linux as it was more stable and pretty than my unsupported version of XP but its just not easy to use. Good for a free OS though.

I run XP on my laptop & one desktop and Vista Business 32bit on my latest desktop - no problems with Vista so far (6 months)... It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you manage to shut off all the irritating warnings it's a breeze, especially when setting up a network. All IMO, of course :)

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

JT - have you added any users, or are you still using the original administrator login? If you're not already, try logging in on the admin acocunt and see if it shows up - if so, then go to the permissions on the drive and add your other username with read/write/modify permissions.

NO added users. I have admin rights. I can see the drive if I go to device manager. But I can not open the drive from "my computer."

I get the usb (pluck) sound when I plug in my device but it won't let me see or access it.
I can go into the device settings and try to update the driver but it says it is up to date.
I can not get into the files though.

I assume this problem is because I boughualt it when I was using XP. Why would windows make an OS that is not backwards compatible? Did I just lose every file on my storage drive?

My last laptop died and I needed to get a new one before I went on a trip 3 days later. I found this one that ,should be, a great and fast computer...not so much.

4gb Ram
320GB HD
64X2 (amd turion) dual-core
But if I can not access my files with this I am fucked.

Any other sugestions?
I tried a different cable and got the same results.
(PLUCK) USB connected sound
no access but it is visible in the device manager
My photos

My Videos

using a USB hub?
I have found those devices seem to suck with Vista.
Thankfully I have plenty of USB ports though!

Remove all of the drivers for the device, completely uninstall/remove the device from the OS then see if it will reinstall the proper drivers upon reboot.
I have seen cases where the drivers seem to have gotten corrupted - USB drives and sound devices to be specific.

Try right clicking on "Computer" and select "Manage". Then click on "Disk Management" under "Storage". See if your drive shows up in the list.
If it does and it is missing a drive letter, right click on the volume in the lower part for your disk and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths..." press "Add..." and select "Assign the following drive letter:". The default should work fine.
If there is any question marks, exclamations points or error symbols on the lower left side of the disk see if there is an option to import or initialize the disk. Most things you do here should be fairly safe and give you a warning or question if it will erase any data. However if you can, try making a backup on another computer first. And make sure you read every message you get. I'm not taking any responsibility here...
If the disk doesn't show up in the disk manager at all make sure you have installed Service Pack 1 and all updates from Windows update.
You can also have a look through the "Event Viewer" that is under "System Tools" above "Storage". Check under "Windows Logs" "System" and see if there is any error messages of warning related to disks or USB devices.