tdog

A completely bias poll on Motorcycles

The Yamaha. The Honda has always lagged compared to the other Sport bikes IMO. The Suzuki or the Yamaha are the hot rides.

ME, I'm happy now as a cruiser convert, and I love my Yamaha....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have 55,000 miles on a 2004 R1 and I absolutely love this bike I would definitely go for the yamaha. Now that I have stated my preference the reality is that for the greatest majority of riders any of the liter bikes would bring equal amounts of joy.
If you never fall down you aren't trying hard enough.

I have 55,000 miles on a 2004 R1 and I absolutely love this bike I would definitely go for the yamaha. Now that I have stated my preference the reality is that for the greatest majority of riders any of the liter bikes would bring equal amounts of joy.

Ive owned 2 R1's a 98 and an 05

I absolutely without a doubt loved both of them more then life itself (at times). In my previous job i had the luxury of getting to basically ride the dog shit out of practically every other sport bike (crotch rocket) out there. Ive taken an R6, R1, every size gixxer, CBR100, 929, 945, RC51, a kawi ZX-10,12 and 14, Ducati 996, 998, and 1098. (and id sell a testicle to get on a 1198) down and around many tracks. While i never really got hardcore into track racing and never had any formal instruction, (a pro rider may have a differnt opinon) i can drag my knee pretty decent and will tell you without a doubt that at the race track (road course) a Yamaha will spank tail. The end. Drag strip a Suzuki will take most wins...

I dont know how big you are, but i weigh around 170 lbs and the busa (both old and new) and the zx-14 were to much for me. I didn't have any weight to throw around so basically i was chicken through turns. The smaller bikes were just plain to slow for me. As far as being comfortable, the Yamahas were made to ride fast around corners, not for long rode trips. the hondas defiantly were more lenient on my butt and back after a few hours but that's not what i wanted.

The way it was best way it was described to me was "with most bikes you can see the road through the helmet, with a yami you can fell the road through the bike" kinda stupid but its true. short of the ducati's and the RC51 (RC51 is a different monster) I personally think that Yamaha is the only way to go.

you got my vote :D (the 09's are SEX on wheels)

PS: once you decide come to NC and play at the dragon (bike dragon, not raeford)

-Kevin

I'd also vote for the R1, but to be honest they are Coke and Pepsi, both are high performance production street racers, both handle extremely well, both top out around 300kph.

Personally though I would not buy either, neither has any soul :P:)B|B|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As others have said, what do you want the bike to do? The 09 R1 has a very interesting engine, in that the firing order is not smooth like previous bikes. This was done, because in moto gp they discovered that very high horsepower was hard to get to the ground coming out of turns. This uneven cylinder firing puts a pulse of power to the tire, making it break loose for a second, and allowing enough time for the tire to decelerate, hooking back up again. This back and forth allows the tire to get better traction compared to a continuous, smooth power delivery that sort of burns out all the time. So, what you get it better traction coming out of turns, but a loss of overall power (the exhaust is not is efficient with the uneven pulses) So if you care more about turns, get the R1. All out power, the CBR (although I don't know for a fact that the CBR puts out more hp than the R1)

Edit to add: I would encourage you not to buy a brand new bike, better to get one a couple years old and spend the remainder of cash on a older sv650 that you won't mind crashing, and take it to the track as much as possible.

Edit to add: I would encourage you not to buy a brand new bike, better to get one a couple years old and spend the remainder of cash on a older sv650 that you won't mind crashing, and take it to the track as much as possible

why not? it depends on how much your into your motorbike interest...i owned a couple of R-bikes a couple of years ago...they where both brand new, if i wanna buy another bike today i wouldn`t even think about buying a 2nd hand bike...no fucking way, just taking the first ride on my own bike and feel and smell the taste of a new bike is worth the half amount of that bike...
edit to add: this R-bikes, either of this is a Suzuki or a Ducati it doesn`t matter, they`re out of fashion within a year...but when it comes to classic bikes like Harley`s...they never get out of fashion..it`s like buying a bottle of water.=boring:|

My sentiments exactly. I was in a bar one time and had a guy riding a Honda giving me shit for riding a Harley. I asked him when the last time he seen a 1942 Honda coming down the road? He didn't have another word to say after that.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

My sentiments exactly. I was in a bar one time and had a guy riding a Honda giving me shit for riding a Harley. I asked him when the last time he seen a 1942 Honda coming down the road? He didn't have another word to say after that.

Honda started exporting to US in 1954 :P

I asked him when the last time he seen a 1942 Honda coming down the road?

I've always ridden Red.....I would've asked you when was the last time you saw a Honda broke down on the side of the road ?

I've pulled over to offer help 5 times in the last 4-5 years.......4 Harleys, one Suzuki. :P

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."