BillyVance

Making a batch of home-made Limoncello liquor

I'll send you the recipe I used when I get a chance to. Meanwhile, my hands are sore after mashing the pulp and juice out of 50 goddamn lemons into a big bowl, without a clue as to what to do with it! :S:D

Any ideas??? I still have to strain the pulp and seeds out, but I will probably freeze the juice until I'm ready to do something with it.

Take some of the lemon juice and add jack daniels to it, then you will have "hard lemonade"...Then I would take the rest of it and put it in the freezer for later, you can always use it later for mixed drinks B|

Meanwhile, a couple more pictures...

1369 - big bowl of lemon juice/pulp.
1370 - resting spot for the next month of the limoncello batch.

I'll send you the recipe I used when I get a chance to. Meanwhile, my hands are sore after mashing the pulp and juice out of 50 goddamn lemons into a big bowl, without a clue as to what to do with it! :S:D

Any ideas??? I still have to strain the pulp and seeds out, but I will probably freeze the juice until I'm ready to do something with it.

Take some of the lemon juice and add jack daniels to it, then you will have "hard lemonade"...Then I would take the rest of it and put it in the freezer for later, you can always use it later for mixed drinks B|

Meanwhile, a couple more pictures...

1369 - big bowl of lemon juice/pulp.
1370 - resting spot for the next month of the limoncello batch.

Well, the bottling is done! Holy shit, that was a big batch.

7 liquor bottles filled from as big as 750 ml to 300 ml or whatever it was, with enough leftover to fill a small Kerr jar! Just perfect!

I was going to take a picture and post it, but I can't find the goddamn camera. :|

We are going to do ours in split batches to see how it turns out. ---I am about 10 days from bottling the first batch (that means it will have been fermenting for 6 weeks) ----what the hell did you do with all of the lemons?:S:S:S:S I have fresh squeezed lemon juice coming out of my ears. I finally froze a bunch of it.:P

I mashed the juice out of all 50 lemons and poured them in the other 750ml vodka bottle and stuck it in the refrigerator. It's been in there for 6 or 7 weeks now. I don't even know if it's still fresh or good to use or not.... Hmmm maybe I should have frozen it. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, the bottling is done! Holy shit, that was a big batch.

7 liquor bottles filled from as big as 750 ml to 300 ml or whatever it was, with enough leftover to fill a small Kerr jar! Just perfect!

I was going to take a picture and post it, but I can't find the goddamn camera. :|

We are going to do ours in split batches to see how it turns out. ---I am about 10 days from bottling the first batch (that means it will have been fermenting for 6 weeks) ----what the hell did you do with all of the lemons?:S:S:S:S I have fresh squeezed lemon juice coming out of my ears. I finally froze a bunch of it.:P

I mashed the juice out of all 50 lemons and poured them in the other 750ml vodka bottle and stuck it in the refrigerator. It's been in there for 6 or 7 weeks now. I don't even know if it's still fresh or good to use or not.... Hmmm maybe I should have frozen it. :|

we have used the first batch but i am leary about pulling out the other stuff out of the freezer...maybe I will just add it to some vodka when i am drinking that on the rocks:P:P

I will post the pics when we get that far but it will be a couple of weeks.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Does the lemon juice freeze? Maybe make ice cubes with it to add a little lemon to drinks. More lemony the longer it takes you to drink it.

yep it is frozen and so i thought i would just add it to my vodka when i drink it on the rocks;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

Us too. B|

And we love the cool little collector's bottles it comes in in Italy. Some are cute, some are pretty . . . umm . . . Hot!:$

...and some look like fancy lil shampoo bottles~never make THAT mistake again! :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'd like the recipe if you don't mind sharing. I love Lemocello. Oh boy do I love that stuff.

This is the recipe that I used (more than doubled):

Limoncello
• 15-20 lemons - clean, unwaxed with nice plump skins. The skins should give off a lemon sent, don't get ones that don't smell heavenly.
• 2 (750-ml) bottles 80-proof vodka
• 4-6 cups water
• 2-4 cups sugar (more if you want it thicker or sweeter)
For this recipe you also need a 2-3 litre glass jar with a sealed lid. The jar should be washed and rinsed very well or sterilized. You don't want anything in your limoncello but what you put there.
I use some old-fashioned sun tea jars I bought at an estate sale just for this purpose.

You will also need the bottles you want to put the final brew in. I get mine at Cost Plus and I save nice glass bottles from other beverages I've purchased that have good reusable tops.
I use a three-step process.
Step 1
1. Wash and dry the lemons. Only use the ones without blemished peels or pare off any spots and the stems, ends.
2. Remove the peel from the lemons with a sharp peeler or fine grater, carefully avoiding the bitter white pith. If any white pith remains on the back of a strip of peel, scrape it off. If you get any of the white part in the batch, the limoncello will be bitter and you don't want that!
infused with lemon goodness
Put the peels in a glass jar and add the vodka and/or Everclear about two inches below the top and seal tightly.
4. Leave the jar to steep in a cool, dark place until the peels lose their color, at least 2 weeks. I leave mine for at least 2-3 months. (That's why mine is extra yummy). Every couple of weeks I swirl the peels around in the jar to mix up the oils in the alcohol, plus I just like to check in on it!
Step 2

peels in process
6 comments
1. Put the water and sugar in a saucepan, stir and slowly boil until it turns clear. Let the syrup cool
2. Put the cooled syrup in the jar with the lemons (you might have to divide the batch into two jars at this point, depending on the size of your jar).
3. Put the jars back in the closet for at least two weeks. Longer is fine too.
Step 3
1. Strain out the lemon peels through a coffee filter or cheesecloth and pour the limoncello into another container. Press down to remove all the vodka and oils that you can from the peels before tossing them in the trash.
2. Stir the liquid with a clean plastic or wooden spoon.
3. Put the liqueur in clean bottles, seal tightly and leave the finished bottles for at least 1 week before using.

For best flavor and drinking it straight, store the limoncello in the freezer. It shouldn't freeze because of how much alcohol is in it and it's wonderful ice cold.

Tips:
• The time consuming part is the peeling, but take your time and don't get any of the white underbelly of the skin in the batch. I use a very sharp paring knife or a potato peeler.
• Use organic lemons or at least ones you know where they came from.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You seal the glass jars/bottles with the sugar in them? I remember my mom trying to make homemade grape juice when I was a kid - she juiced the grapes, put the juice in a glass jar with some sugar and sealed it. In the middle of the night, the jar blew up and scared the shit out of the whole family (not to mention made a mess of the kitchen and destroyed one of the cabinet doors).

I guess my question is do you seal the jars completely or is there a vent of some kind?
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

You seal the glass jars/bottles with the sugar in them? I remember my mom trying to make homemade grape juice when I was a kid - she juiced the grapes, put the juice in a glass jar with some sugar and sealed it. In the middle of the night, the jar blew up and scared the shit out of the whole family (not to mention made a mess of the kitchen and destroyed one of the cabinet doors).

I guess my question is do you seal the jars completely or is there a vent of some kind?

The sugar was boiled in water, then added to the vodka/peel mix. We used a giant jar with a lid and spigot, the kind you might expect to use for tea or lemonade. There's a few pictures of that earlier in this thread. We didn't have any problems.

That is what we have put the lemoncello in. My question is for bottling it --- what do you use? I have a couple of bottles that with corks? will that suffice?
DPH # 2

That is what we have put the lemoncello in. My question is for bottling it --- what do you use? I have a couple of bottles that with corks? will that suffice?

I dunno... the recipe called for bottles with good reusable caps (plastic). The unlabeled bottle of lemoncello we received from the Italian family last year was like that, and we reused that bottle for our current batch. Other bottles reused were Captain Morgan's rum (mostly). We just had to pop the plastic diffuser/filter or whatever it is out of the opening if the bottle had one. Most of the larger bottles do.

I think if you use a corked bottle and freeze it, you're probably going to see that cork pop out eventually. We found out the hard way the day after our wedding at our home when we had a bunch of wine bottles and the refrigerator was full, so we stashed them in the freezer for a quick chill, but forgot about them. Cleaning up the mess wasn't fun either. :D

I thought the lemoncello bottle we put in the freezer last Tuesday would not freeze. Well, it didn't.... until I wanted to pour a shot tonight. I took it out, WTF... it had frozen about 80% of the way through! Nice interesting pattern/texture too! :D I just put it in the refrigerator for now.

Well....we will see how the corked bottles work this time.....it doesn't have yeast so it may be ok. and we space for expansion...we will see. attached is our batch of lemoncello....I have to go back and get some more bottles as I didn't get enough the first time around.
DPH # 2

My favorite way to drink it is with Vodka - a shot of Grey Goose or Absolut on ice with about a half of shot of Lemoncello - ummm ummmm goooood.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

What do you use this stuff for anyway. Someone brought me a bottle from Italy a few years ago and I have no idea what to do with it. Martinis?

You pour it in a shot glass and sip it like any dessert liquer. If your bottle came directly from Italy, you better believe it's damn good. They grow the best lemon trees in the world.