BillyVance

Making a batch of home-made Limoncello liquor

My wife and I have been planning on this for the last few months ever since our bottle of Limoncello from Christmas went empty. My dad is friends with an Italian man who ran an Italian restaurant with his family that was my parent's favorite place until it closed when the owner of the property sold it. The Italians are well known for their lemon tree farms and the Limoncello that's made from the lemons. He made his own batches and offered them as after-dinner drinks, and they were awesome. After the restaurant closed, he continued to make his own Limoncello, and gave bottles out to friends as gifts. So Dad got one for me.

So... we bought the needed equipment - a big glass fermenting jar, electric peeler, vodka, and a giant batch of lemons, 50 of them.

This morning we started the process of peeling them and then scraping off the white underlayer. You never want that stuff in the fermenting process, only the yellow skin/rind. The white stuff will give the drink a bitter taste, when it is supposed to be very sweet.

We got through 28 lemons in a little over 3 hours and our hands couldn't take any more. Gonna finish the rest tomorrow and then store the jar filled with vodka and peels in the below-counter cabinet to soak for a month. At that time, we'll boil a batch of sugar and water into a syrupy mix and add that in the jar. Mix it all up, and when it's cooled to room temperature, fill a few bottles up and store in the freezer for 2 or 3 more weeks, and it'll be ready then. :)
Pictures....

1361: Before starting (that bowl held 20 lemons, there were 30 more out of view).
1362: Second lemon being peeled.
1363: First peels in the jar.
1364: Up close view of the peeler in progress.
1365: Nearly half of the batch of lemon peels done.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Couple more pictures:

1366: What the fuck do I do with these peeled lemons? Lemonade!!!
1367: After the first bottle of vodka is poured. I had to reach in with kitchen scissors and cut the peels up in shorter lengths so they would be completely under vodka.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I made some awhile back, its great stuff! The stronger the booze, the better. If you can get your hands on everclear it is the best. Also, I can second you stating you don't want any of the white stuff, it will mess up a whole batch. I made some with limes once too, it was also very good. From what I can tell, it is preferable to not add any sugar until a month or 2 after you start the batch, and then let it sit for another month or 2. That way the alcohol isn't diluted at all. Right now I have a batch of japanese plum wine (sorta) that is similar to how you make the limoncello, it just uses whole plums instead. Its gunna take 3 years to be totally finished though! Its a good thing I made 5 gallons.

Well, I finished the rest of the lemons and poured the rest of the vodka in. Marked the date on a strip of tape and slapped it on there. It's going into the cabinet before I go to bed. I'll revisit this thread a month from now. :P

Yeah, the recipe did say I could use everclear and it is available at the nearest ABC (state liquor store), But this is just our first time. If I don't like it, I'll try Everclear or a better brand of vodka next time.

I'll send you the recipe I used when I get a chance to. Meanwhile, my hands are sore after mashing the pulp and juice out of 50 goddamn lemons into a big bowl, without a clue as to what to do with it! :S:D

Any ideas??? I still have to strain the pulp and seeds out, but I will probably freeze the juice until I'm ready to do something with it.

Meanwhile, a couple more pictures...

1369 - big bowl of lemon juice/pulp.
1370 - resting spot for the next month of the limoncello batch.

You are lucky you have access to everclear! If I send you some money will you ship me some? I was told that the stronger the alcohol, the more oil will be dissolved out of the peal, giving a fresher and more lemon taste to it. I have never tried it with it, but was told limoncello from italy was made with it.
As for your lemon juice, I found this recipe for lemonade that has good reviews. I'm sure you could always spike it a little bit as well!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Lemonade-Ever/Detail.aspx

No, in california by law the maximum alcohol content available is 151 proof, so bacardi 151, which is a flavored rum (no good for limoncello). I think the strongest vodka is 100 proof. When I was in new orleans they had this stuff called diesel which was 190 proof, I tried to bring some back but security went into my bag and confiscated it. I know nevada has everclear available but even that is a bit of a drive.

No, in california by law the maximum alcohol content available is 151 proof

Huh... go figure... :S The law here in Alabama is that beers must not go above a specific alcohol content. I'd rather have your law than this one. :|:P

I certainly enjoy some of the IPAs we have around here, they pack a punch. However, my wingloading is suffering! When I was at mardi gras there was a store that sold only blended drinks, like margaritas and dacaris. They used everclear, and I think it was responsible for some serious memory damage. At least I think it was......... ;):D

With any luck he forgot all about it and it's been sitting in a dark cool place all this time.

Billy let me know how yours came out, and which recipe you used.

I used this one

I haven't forgotten about it. I bought the package of sugar last week and had been meaning to start the next phase. I'll try to get that started this Sunday. I did look into the jar and the rinds appear to have lost their color, which is what leaving it in vodka for several weeks was supposed to do, so it's ready... :)

Well, the bottling is done! Holy shit, that was a big batch.

7 liquor bottles filled from as big as 750 ml to 300 ml or whatever it was, with enough leftover to fill a small Kerr jar! Just perfect!

I was going to take a picture and post it, but I can't find the goddamn camera. :|

Did you drink some?

I did a taste test. I'm not sure yet if it's as good as the Italians do it. Let's wait after the bottle's been in the freezer for a week before I try it again. But boy, that lemony smell permeated the entire kitchen during the bottling process. :)

Well, the bottling is done! Holy shit, that was a big batch.

7 liquor bottles filled from as big as 750 ml to 300 ml or whatever it was, with enough leftover to fill a small Kerr jar! Just perfect!

I was going to take a picture and post it, but I can't find the goddamn camera. :|

We are going to do ours in split batches to see how it turns out. ---I am about 10 days from bottling the first batch (that means it will have been fermenting for 6 weeks) ----what the hell did you do with all of the lemons?:S:S:S:S I have fresh squeezed lemon juice coming out of my ears. I finally froze a bunch of it.:P
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I'll send you the recipe I used when I get a chance to. Meanwhile, my hands are sore after mashing the pulp and juice out of 50 goddamn lemons into a big bowl, without a clue as to what to do with it! :S:D

Any ideas??? I still have to strain the pulp and seeds out, but I will probably freeze the juice until I'm ready to do something with it.

Take some of the lemon juice and add jack daniels to it, then you will have "hard lemonade"...Then I would take the rest of it and put it in the freezer for later, you can always use it later for mixed drinks B|

Meanwhile, a couple more pictures...

1369 - big bowl of lemon juice/pulp.
1370 - resting spot for the next month of the limoncello batch.