skittles_of_SDC

Florida cops...

I am not taking the time to read this whole post. All I have to say is: Damn Dave - lighten up, maybe you need to find a new line of work?

I like what Dave said. I drive truck, so I spend a lot of time watching idiots risk their (and my) lives. And for what? 10 or 15 seconds? Maybe 10 or 15 minutes across a whole day of driving?

The cops are pretty much the same all over. 5mph or so over will not get you into trouble. Even 10-15 doesn't seem to bother them if most of the traffic is going that fast. BUT, if there isn't anybody passing you at all, then you are the fastest.

And if you don't lane jump, tailgate, or otherwise drive like an idiot, then you don't have to worry about the cops, do you??

I kind of like the high enforcement weekends. My truck is goverened to 65, so I really don't have to worry about speeding, and the extra cops keep the idiots a little under control (or under arrest).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

All the Florida cops I have met/known are assholes, with only one exception

***By "met/known" do mean "gave you a ticket"?

Since I'm counting the ticket-givers as having been met, yes and no. Some ticket-givers, some known to me personally.

And yes, none of the ticket-givers were man-up polite.

Oh, I have to up the count to two exceptions. I met AggieDave, but that was before he pinned on the badge.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Explain a good reason why you think you should be traveling 30mph over.

Damn, Dave. I understand your frustration but nowhere did Skittles say he drove 30 over on the 70mph highway...or anywhere else for that matter.

In the first post the OP asked about going 30 over in Florida. If not on a 70mph road, where is 30mph over the posted speed limit safe and prudent?

Maybe in a residential neighborhood? How about a school zone? How about a highway? I'm just trying to understand your reasoning.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have been driving 80-90mph everyday and that seems to be the flow of traffic. One day driving to work there was a cop right behind me and all i thought was "Dammit I dont want a ticket." I did not get pulled over. From what I was told by a few people here is as long as you are keeping up with the flow of traffic and not zig zagging thru- traffic you wont get pulled over going 80 ish.

It also helps if you have Florida plates.;)

If you're a snowbird do us a favor and stay in the right lane.:)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

My reasoning is that he didn't say he was doing it...just throwing out numbers in a questioning manner.

Hell, maybe he really doesblast through residentials or highways at limit+30...but he didn't say that. I just feel it's unfair to assume that he does and blast on him personally like that.

If somebody had posted that doing 30 over in their area was OK, I would be questioning the authorities that turned a blind eye to it.

But, in the big scheme of things I'm totally with you on the stupidity of any bozo who makes you have to go through all that shit that you have to see and makes the surviving families go through all the shit they have to go through. Seeing a skydiving fatality is bad enough.

All the Florida cops I have met/known are assholes, with only one exception

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By "met/known" do mean "gave you a ticket"?

Since I'm counting the ticket-givers as having been met, yes and no. Some ticket-givers, some known to me personally.

And yes, none of the ticket-givers were man-up polite.

Oh, I have to up the count to two exceptions. I met AggieDave, but that was before he pinned on the badge.

*** Saying all cops are assholes is an unfair generalization. It's like saying all packers are nasty, unwashed social outcasts that wont get a real job...wait, that's a bad example.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

Saying all cops are assholes is an unfair generalization. It's like saying all packers are nasty, unwashed social outcasts that wont get a real job...wait, that's a bad example.

What...their not? :)
lol
DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

Damn Dave - lighten up, maybe you need to find a new line of work?

You don't know me in person, do you? I'm being very direct and firm on the internet to get a point across. I'm very happy with my line of work and am happy at work.

Maybe you should understand that this is the internet and much of the message is lost since its not interpersonal contact?

As for the radar detector discussion above...spend your money if you'd like, you'd be better off saving the money to pay for your ticket.;)

I remember how excited you were when you got this job. Ever since, you have done nothing but bitch about all the trauma you see.

I understand the risk of driving fast, just like I understand the risk of jumping out of airplanes. Do you think I should quit doing that? I never get these arguments about how speed kills, speed is just one link in the chain. If you break any other link then speed alone will not kill you. (That should get you going. :D )

I'm not reading the discussion about radar detectors. I have had them and they help, however, you are better off learning how to pay attention to aviod a ticket as it will also help you avoid an accident.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

the same way that i have gradually Upped my usual "pull altitude"... i have gradually Downed my driving speed....over the years...

just wanna GET there....and the quickest way to LOSE the time that you THINK you are saving, by going Fast.... is to SIT on the side of the road, and wait..... while some cop meets his quota... and lays a ticket or two on ya'..
Remember.. those "bastards" ( no offense aggiedave;) ) have SCMODS....!!:o:P:);)
"State County Municipal Offender Data System"
Elwood Blues...

thanks for the heads Up everyone, TK especially;).. see ya soon

jimmy in rochester

Ever since, you have done nothing but bitch about all the trauma you see.

Not so much bitching about the trauma and stupid crap, more of an attempt for people to learn from other people's mistakes.;)

I understand the risk of driving fast, just like I understand the risk of jumping out of airplanes. Do you think I should quit doing that? I never get these arguments about how speed kills, speed is just one link in the chain. If you break any other link then speed alone will not kill you. (That should get you going. Laugh )

Speed is one link in the chain, but another link are other people on the road way. Granny blue-hair in the right lane with her blinker on who decides that she missed the turn to the Piggly Wiggly and pulls a u-turn in front of you. Sure, she made the mistake, but now that you're going 15mph over the limit, you've just killed grandma.

The ability to kill others is a bit easier to avoid while skydiving.;)

As a side note, there's a term for it. "Blue Tag Terrorist" The blue tag is the handicap parking tag hanging from the rear view mirror. Look around next time you're driving and you'll probably get a laugh (if they're similar tags in your area).:D

And I'll leave you with one more thing: http://www.clumsycrooks.com/media/files8/pictures/police_humor.jpg:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

:D Blah, blah, blah. I was doing 40 over on the way back from lunch, 90 in a 50. Yet here I am unscathed, no ticket, no wreck. (Knock on wood / head.)

Dude you are sooooooo kewl!!!! :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

This would make a great thread spin off... shit I used to brag about when I was 16. :D

"Dude I was sooooooooooooooooooo drunk, I mean you have no idea how drunk we were, no idea." B|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

... but now that you're going 15mph over the limit, you've just killed grandma...

IL highway speed limit + 15 MPH= Florida highway speed limit. So idk about that point.

I was doing about 5 over and there were cops speeding more than me.

You'll have to excuse me, either I'm really slow or you're really stupid. Because your math doesn't add up.

Illinois Interstate speed limit is 65 MPH + 15 MPH = 80 MPH.

Apparently the Florida Department of Transportation is in disagreement with you.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/trafficoperations/FAQs/SpeedLimitFAQ.shtm

I don't think the cops are mistreating you because their not enforcing Skittles' VIP speed limit.

Something to keep in mind. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"