adietkin

racer

When asked to pack "ten pounds into a five pound bag," a rigger needs to know ALL the secret tricks. ... and it takes a few hundred pack jobs - on a specific rig - to learn all the secret tricks.

if you don't have it already I can send you (or anyone) a copy of the new racer packing dvd.....free of charge. I am doing this in an attempt to stop this type of talk.

rm

I tell everyone who orders a rig - from ANY manufacturer these days - to lie about what size canopies you are putting in it. I've never understood why people want to wear a brick.

I was trying to teach someone how to pack last week, who was putting a brand new 210 (slippery as heck) into a rig built for a 190. It makes learning to pack 10 times than it should be...

if you don't have it already I can send you (or anyone) a copy of the new racer packing dvd.....free of charge. I am doing this in an attempt to stop this type of talk.

rm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the offer.
I already have a couple of Racer-packing DVDs ... just not sure if they are the latest version ...
I have also attended a couple of Racer-packing seminars at PIA Symposiums, but still had to invent a few tricks of my own to get graceful at packing Racers.
For example, I never understood why anyone would try to pack a Cypres-equipped Racer with steel T-bodkins????
Instead, I built my own "ghost loops" for almost a decade before Jump Shack started giving them out for free.
I am now proficient at packing Racers, just too slow to turn a profit. Half of that slowness is related to the notion that I don't pack enough Racers - per year - to advance my skills.

The other half of my rant was about the folly of packing 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag.
For example, Sandy Reid and I have never agreed on whether it was wise to pack PD113 reserves into Talon 2, size T0.
Hint, I test-packed all the Talon 2 prototypes while working for Rigging Innovations.

In conclusion, while I may publicly rant about the folly of over-stuffing Racer reserve containers, I privately grumble when other manufacturers pursue the same "fashion" goal.

The "ghost loops" that Jumpshack sells are for cypres installation and cost about $10 if memory serves. They are made from Type IV box weave and cypres cord and the loops are threaded through the cutters. When the bodkins are routed through the bottom grommets, they also go through the loops which later "Laso" the closing loops and pull them back through the cutters. They don't make very good "ghost loops" in the sense of what Rob is suggesting, when I've had to use ghost loops (required for an Excalibur with a round reserve and a cypress) I've made each loop like a figure eight so that I can temp the resulting bottom loop and thread my pull up cords through the top loop with out effort.

I still prefer Steel Bodkins, I find the make for better pack jobs (allows you to better see all the flaps aligned and where you need to redistribute the bulk).
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.