adietkin

racer

I have never jumped a racer, but looks? really? That picture you posted and the rigs I have seen in person do not make racers look very appealing visually.

I guess to each his own.:)

These rigs look very much parapack; is yours parapack, Sid? I wonder if cordura racers look as crumply.

You want looks, go fur :P

yes: pin protection because its on your back, 4 flaps for fast reserve deployment (and pop-top), comfortable, looks.

do they still use velcro to close the reserve pin protector on the inside of backpack?

I have never jumped a racer, but looks? really? That picture you posted and the rigs I have seen in person do not make racers look very appealing visually.

yes, that one is ugly. any rig red with stars would be ugly. Also Jump Shack must have the worst website going. Don't judge them by this. Pick up the phone and talk to Nancy and you will be taken care of...

rm

whith my old racer , I had a toogle flying around while head down

Let me caveat this whole thread by saying that for every instance anyone can give of a racer flap coming open I can give you one of the same thing on any of the manufacturers rigs out there, to include modern day ones. It goes without saying that if you jump old gear, from any manufacturer, it very well may not be suited for freefly. I see up to date student gear, indivdual gear and tandem gear from all the manufacturers with flaps open either on the ground or in the air all the time. You will not see a modern day racer (student, indivdual ,tandem)with it's flaps inadvertantly open if they were closed correctly in the air or on the ground, the current design makes it highly unlikely.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Also Jump Shack must have the worst website going. Don't judge them by this. Pick up the phone and talk to Nancy and you will be taken care of...

rm

I am glad you mentioned this, I thought it was just me. I mean, if JS is going to position themselves a certain way, their website should address these issues and SHOW you how their rig differs. I emailed Nancy and even the PDFs she sent me wern't that great. It really is a shame. For me, comfort is so HUGE. (assuming safety issues are a no brainer)
And as far as looks go, I WELCOME not having the rig most jumpers do. (said by a man who currently jumps a vec3 :)

yes, that one is ugly. any rig red with stars would be ugly. Also Jump Shack must have the worst website going. Don't judge them by this. Pick up the phone and talk to Nancy and you will be taken care of...

rm

It is not just that rig that is ugly. I have seen plenty of racers...Hartwood used to have a ton...and I just don't think the container looks good at all. The word sleek is one that just does NOT come to mind. I think it is mostly the top flap the comes down last.

But like I said, to each his own. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

A rigger who knows how to do one won't bitch about it, if an individual is going to be a rigger he should be educated on what he finds most difficult whether it is a racer, a javelin a vector, a rodrigues rig or anything else.....because that rig will come to his table one day and the last thing a rigger should want to hear is: "that guy made my rig look like crap"

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

a rodrigues rig

I wonder how many riggers out there today even know what a "Rodrigues rig" is, was. I only pack what I feel comfortable packing. Some rigs I do not have hands on enough to feel comfortable with doing them.

And you are right, if an individual is going to be a rigger he should be educated and make every effort to continue learning. And one of the most important things for a rigger to learn is to say NO. That way he won’t have hear someone say "that guy made my rig look like crap"

When was the last time you did a GQ-1000 into the head box of an F-18 ejection seat? If one comes to your table tomorrow would you bitch about it or pack it?

Sparky

If I remember right it was called a “Solution”.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

How does someone look homophobic?

Same way how a H/C looks gay.

you have 337 jumps in 6 years, jump a VectorII and have posted 1018 times since june 2003 from the hotbed of skydiving (Finland of course) and you make comments like this. Are we supposed to take you seriously???

rm

you have 337 jumps in 6 years, jump a VectorII and have posted 1018 times since june 2003 from the hotbed of skydiving (Finland of course) and you make comments like this. Are we supposed to take you seriously???

rm

OUCH!! B|

LOL
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

That's a bit reaching about the F-18 ejection seat as this is mostly a sport parachuting forum, however, to answer your quesion the last time I had something that required an ejection seat assembly I went over to a Rigger who actually handles this kind of stuff (he works for NASA) and got some education but never gave it much following as I knew this would be a rarity. Racers are common in my area, our loft gets at least 4 or 5 a week.
Saying "no" to a customer who brings you unairworthy equipment, or equipment he/she does not have the knowledge, tools and ability to do is not only important but also the right thing to do.
Yeah and as far as the Rodrigues rig ...well I was fishing to see if anyone remembered what that was about.....love the velcro on that one....

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

I have more packs on an F-18 head box then Racers so I feel more comfortable packing them. I turn down Racers because jumper safety is important to me and their reserve should be repacked by a rigger experienced with type/model or under the supervision of someone who is. For me they are more difficult and require more tools, always a potential problem.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Please don't encourage someone to buy an old racer to freefly with. It's not a good design for freeflying.

I don't recommend anyone buy an old anything for regular skydiving use. :)
You also bring up a valid point about smaller Racers being more secure than larger Racers. The sample of very secure newer Racers I have seen have all been small.

For Great Deals on Gear

I have an older Racer. The master rigger at our DZ added riser covers that have worked very well. The only thing I don't like about it is the small blip of bridle that you can't stash the whole way, I'm a little snag phobic. I like that the reserve pins are against my back though.

There are pros and cons of every design isn't there?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

These rigs look very much parapack; is yours parapack, Sid? I wonder if cordura racers look as crumply.

You want looks, go fur :P

Nope! My 2K3 is Cordura.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

comment on this racers being good looking because of its simplicity.. I think it is the least simple looking rig on the market. all the wrinkles and flaps closing in odd ways.. dosen't seem simple to me.. no offence:)I jump a Micron, clean black with a teal split. the best looking, simple looking rig at all, I thinkB|

so what is the fuzz about this Rodrigues rig anyway??

https://icarusanddaedalusadventures.blogspot.com/

I think it is the least simple looking rig on the market. all the wrinkles and flaps closing in odd ways.. dosen't seem simple to me.. no offenceSmile

Although vectors are pretty simple ,relatively speaking, racer has it beat by far.Maybe not exterior which is an opinion but internally racers are the most simple. 4 flaps as opposed to whatever the vector has 5?..6? or infinity 6?

How does the closing the flaps seem odd? bottom, right, left, top?

Edit: I'm pretty happy with my choice. I think I have one of the smallest and lightest rig represented on dz.com. I've held it up against the smallest sizes of mirage, javelin, and infinity.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Racers may have started out soft and flexible, with few stiffeners, so they wrapped lovingly around your shoulders and thighs. Unfortunately, Racer has followed the lemming-like stampede to tighter and tighter containers. Nowadays they pack as hard as bricks.
Funny, the current fashion for Talons, Javelins, Vectors, etc. is also brick-like.

Similarly, if you over-stuff any rig, it will look ugly, with toggles sneaking out, etc.

John Sherman and I have never agreed on Racer pack volumes. He always insists that you can stuff a reserve one size larger - than I am comfortable with - into every size of Racer.
I suspect that our different opinions start with him being in humid Florida (where everything packs one size smaller) while I spent much of my career in dry Southern California (where everything packs one size larger).
When customers talk about ordering new Racers, I always encourage them to lie about reserve size (i.e. tell Jump Shack they have a PR160, when they really own a PR143).

In his defense, I suspect John Sherman will say something about being an industry leader in pack density.

When asked to pack "ten pounds into a five pound bag," a rigger needs to know ALL the secret tricks. ... and it takes a few hundred pack jobs - on a specific rig - to learn all the secret tricks.

Maybe I am just getting lazy - [getting???? Hee! Hee!] - because I barely pack enough Racers (maybe a dozen per year) to stay current. There are not very many Racers in British Columbia. The last time Racers were fashionable in B.C. was twenty years ago.