TrophyHusband

can i reformat my ps3 hdd with my laptop?

and if so, how do it do it? please explain it to me like i'm 5 years old.

here's what happened. last night my wife gave me a ps3 as an early christmas present. it worked great. today was garbage day and out went to box. today it says the hard drive has been corrupted and will be reformatted. it reformats and then the screen goes blank. i've googled this and it appears i can reformat using my laptop, but i haven't found clear instructions for someone with my lack of knowledge.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I dont know the size of HDD in a PS3, I would guess its its 3.5 IDE, something that would not fit in a standard laptop. However if it is a 2.5 drive you could download this http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php, burn it to CD, remove the drives from your PS3 and laptop, stick the PS3 drive in the laptop, boot of the CD in your laptop and format the PS3 drive as FAT32 then stick it back in the PS3 which should then do its thing.

All this off a quick google on the PS3 so tread carefully...

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Ok, PS3 has a 2.5 SATA HDD so you may be in luck if your laptop is fairly new. Tell us what type of lappy you have and may be able to help further...

Also found this http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,3800004921,62032875,00.htm which gives baby steps on replacing a drive, you might want to skip towards the end where it talks about putting the drive back in.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

i've already put the ps3 hard drive into my laptop and it fit. i was hoping that there would be an option to reformat, but of course there isn't. i was all ready to try your suggestion until the last line in your post. i'm also curious if trying to do this will viod the warrenty.

www.kjandmegan.com

I'd try the suggestion of formatting in my post above with the reinstallation in the link as described in my edited post.

Whatever you do make sure you do not commit any changes from gparted unless its whole disk fat32, you wont break the disk but it can be hard to describe over the internet + wine.

Have fun.

2 things:

1: Little Big Planet, simply amazing,

2: You are only altering 0s and 1s on the drive so its only data, no way you can be acussed of voiding the warranty as its for the hardware, not software.

i clicked your gparted link, but i'm not sure what i'm supposed to download. i also found somewhere that someone used "a windows cd" in their laptop to do this, but i'm not sure exactly what that means either. you mentioned wine earlier, i think i'll try that too.

www.kjandmegan.com

Mate sorry, sometime I can race ahead whilst trying to explain shit. I'm sure in your area of knowledge somethings that seem obvious to you that outsider would not know shit about.

What you need is the .iso file file from here, http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

You need to burn this to a CD (I suggest ISOrecorder if your PC doesn't recognise ISO formats) and boot off it. If you need further help PM me and I'll talk you though it.

To be honest though I probably would have taken it back but I realise this can be difficult when its a gift from the Mrss.

this just happened this evening, so i haven't had the chance to return it yet. i also threw away the box this morning so i'm not sure i can even take it back. it should be covered under warrenty, but i'm impatient and who knows how long it will take for sony to get it back to me this close to christmas. i'll give your suggestion a try and then give it up for the night.

www.kjandmegan.com

In my experience, all ya really need is a receipt if you are swapping unit for unit. All they're gonna do is just put the old one in the box of the new one. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

This won't help you now, but save your boxes for things that are that expensive. I still have the retail box for every electronic item in my house that cost more than $100. ;) They come in handy when moving too.

I have never formatted the HDD in my PS3, but I'm sure it's doable, and Sony is all about allowing you to remove and replace your own HDD so I doubt it would hurt your warranty, but you might want to check the docs to be sure.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com