bliston

sailrite LZ1 sewing machine

I'm thinking about dropping $740 on this machine and am wondering if anyone has one or knows of any problems:

It's a Sailrite LZ1, walking foot zig-zag and strait stick machine. There website is

http://www.sailrite.com

The site isn't that user friendly, but if you go to shop on line, and click on the model it'll give you a full descripition and has an online video.

The big advantages I see is that it's portable, powerful, industrial strength, can handle light and heavy fabrics, is designed for #69 size thread, can be worked at slow speeds, will do 6mm long strait and 5mm wide zig-zag stiches, and is the only strait/zig-zag walking foot I've been able to fine.

My uses for the machine would be senior rigger container and canopy work (including lines), and the regular array of mods, but mostly building weightbelts, bags, and jumpsuit repair.

I'd appreciate thoughts or sugestions for other machines. I'm just rig on the side and don't want to invest in multiple machines, and really want to have something portable rather than a table machine.

Thanks,

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

There are a slew of machines similar to that one on E-bay. I bought one and thought it was a piece of shit. Very clunky operation. The presser foot raiser was on top of the machine, and the worst part was that the "reverse" actuator was the same lever as the stich length adjuster. If you want to reverse you have to loosen the finger screw on the lever, reposition, reverse, and then relocate the lever back to (hopefully) the correct length. For long runs of heavy canvas like sails, it may be OK, but for detailed small pieces it would be very cumbersome.

I would reccomend a good quality home machine like a Brother or Singer. Spend $150 to $200 and you have a machine that will do all the repairs you want and do so smoothly.

My 2 cents.

Cya

their policy is 30 day money back guarantee (less shipping, of course). I've been using a houshold machine, but it doesn't handle e-thread that well (thread tension issues), doesn't have the power to get through multiple layers of cordura, webbing and binding tape, and doesn't do well with new z-p fabric. Thanks for your thoughts those about the reverse mechanism - I'll check into it.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

If you have to use a portable sewing machine,I would go with a Pfaff 6122.I have one myself and I used it for 6 years to do little repairs,patches,etc.It is worth it to spend a little more on this one.Never had to send it to repairs,just regular maintenance.It has a good service and warranty and Pfaff is well known.

You can do a lot of small rigging work with it when you have to travel between DZ's.