simplyputsi

Why don't you know....????

How to do things typically stereotyped of the opposite sex?

Like girls, why don't you know a few things about cars, mainly how to change a tire.

Guys, why don't you know how to cook?

I grew up watching and observing and learning. Now I don't think my parents ever had a flat tire and changed it in front of me, but I figured it out when I had to.

Cooking, I can read, but I guess mom making me help with things here and there gave me a little insight as to how some things are done.

It's like laundry, how come some guys and girls don't have a clue?

Actually I might already know the answers to all this, but I don't want to be a spence junior and labeled as angry:P

Just wondering how people grow up not to know what I kind of consider simple things. Maybe what I consider simple isn't. I dunno.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

even though I was raised by a single mother... I have NEVER learned how to calm an irrationally upset woman without piissing her off more first...

is it possible?

its my unicorn...

I think it's because some people are treated like babies by their parents their entire lives. Mommy and Daddy do every little thing for them. Heaven forbid children should have to help with basic household chores and learn responsibility.

Ding Ding Ding...

or

I have a friend of mine who refuses to let her children into the kitchen to help - she is terrified that the kids will get hurt.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

but I can cook... and I can do a lot of things with regard to fixing the car (oil changes, rotating tires, checking fluid levels, etc)... and for that matter I know how to do laundry...

Personally I'm not sure why some people find any of those things complicated...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I think it's because some people are treated like babies by their parents their entire lives. Mommy and Daddy do every little thing for them. Heaven forbid children should have to help with basic household chores and learn responsibility.

I think our family was the exact opposite of that. I had household chores to do from a fairly early age. ALL of us.. girls or boys in the extended family got to go fishing and sailing and camping and hunting. Along with that also went the responsibilities of taking care of the equipment.. like sanding and painting the boats, cleaning the gear after use and learning things like using the correct tools to do so.
We would help to change the tires when winter was coming to snow tires.. and change the oil to the correct weight for winter use before the hunting season began. It made self reliance in my life as well as all of my cousins.

I think, to some extent, it depends on how much responsibility parents force their children to accept.

I learned to do laundry at about 8 years old. My mom bascially said "I am not your maid. If you want clean underwear, do some laundry."

When I moved out on my own, I was astounded that my roommates could barely make a grilled cheese without involving the fire department. And what do you mean, you can't use clorox on colored clothes?! ;)

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I'm going to have to agree that parents do play a important role in all of this.

Although, you can have a girl who is a college graduate who can't change a tire.

You can have a guy who is a college graduate who can't make a grilled cheese.

I just don't see how one that has to fend for themselves doesn't pick up certain things without the help of a parent.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Why *would* someone who's never had to change a tire, know how to change a tire? What seems like "common sense" is usually directly related to what you've been exposed to. I only know how to mow the lawn because my brothers are lazy and it was easier for my dad to teach me how to do it.

because it's not rocket science.

No one ever showed me how to change a tire, yet I can do it. Why?
Because when it came time to, I said ok, those thingies hold the tire on, and this thingy takes it off. I loosen those thingies and take them off. I jack the car up, take the tire off, put another tire on, tighten thingies back on and done.

You know no one ever showed me how to grill a steak, but I was able to do it without being walked through the process.

I think people just don't want to try, physical limitations excluded.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

You mean there are people out there who are afraid to try new things?? :P

You have to take in to account that you have the aptitude to figure things out on your own. But not everyone is like that. Everyone is different.. thats all.

What I want to know is, when you have to take a 50/50 guess at something, why do you always guess wrong?
(Thats a general "you", not a "you, you".)

I'm afraid to try "some" new things ;)

I'm trying to figure out why I have the aptitude you speak of and others do not. Was it strictly their upbringing?

I don't know about the 50/50 thing. I make good guesses sometimes, at least I think I do. But you do have a point.

Skymama's #2 stalker -

Some people see rules as what tells them what they can't do. Many of them don't really like rules.

Others see rules as what tells them what they can do. They like rules -- rules define the boundaries where they can feel safe.

I think it's part innate nature and part upbringing. I'll try nearly anything; I've even refinished a piano, and yes, I can change a tire (or a water pump, alternator, or radiator -- I've owned several heaps).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't think its strictly upbringing, but thats probably the largest influence. Take personality in to account too. If you're teaching 2 brothers to ride a bike, one might go all out with no fear of falling off, while another will ride slow and cautiously, in constant fear of falling off. Fact is, they'll both fall off at some point. But will they get back up? aha! I am so philosophical today! :D

I don't understand why some ADULTS say they can't cook.

WTF? If you can read, you can cook.:S

:D:D I can cook .....whether or not it is edible....that is another story! (just ask the dogs)

In all seriousness, it isnt just reading that is required.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

I don't understand why some ADULTS say they can't cook.

WTF? If you can read, you can cook.:S

:D:D I can cook .....whether or not it is edible....that is another story! (just ask the dogs)

In all seriousness, it isnt just reading that is required.

No kidding. I swear, I follow directions EXACTLY when I have tried to cook or bake...everything always comes out tasting like bland oogy flour. I just don't care enough to try anymore.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I think upbringing has some to do with it, but in my case it has been more curiosity and the desire to learn something new that has driven it. Maybe also just a dash of the competitive 'harumph, if they can do it I can do it too'. Does it always work out - well, no...but I learn from it anyway.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

For learning how to cook, there are a couple of things that can really help.
One is to just try first with easy stuff.
The other is to read a good cookbook; not the recipes, but the "how food works" sections. The Joy of Cooking has a lot of good stuff in it.

That tells you what mixed food feels like, what the intermediate steps should look and feel like, and what ingredients generally work well together.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ding Ding Ding...

or

I have a friend of mine who refuses to let her children into the kitchen to help - she is terrified that the kids will get hurt.

g

Yep. My mother in law's a fine cook, but refused to let my wife or her sisters do anything in the kitchen while they were growing up. My brothers-in-law and I each taught our respective wives how to cook.