AggieDave

RIP DD List

I logged on this morning went to the DD forum and it said denied access. At first i was thought I got kick off. Then about 1.5 later there was a new announcement.

Sad to see it leaving dz.com but at least there is still a list for those late night calls..

I don't have everyone's number but I have a few stored up for late night debauchery for new years eve.;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I don't have everyone's number but I have a few stored up for late night debauchery for new years eve.;)

Hmmm...

:)

I promise I will be a total angel:):):)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

So long my friend. It was fun while you lasted.

Does anyone still have a copy of the list I could get to keep for myself? I never saved the list and simply got on here when ever I *needed* it.

+1

BRAVE NEW CORPORATE WORLD!

its more fun to spread viruses anyway..

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Dude. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

You first needed to know the secret handshake and have the decoder ring to access the top secret DD Forum.

It was only accessable to those that were on the list.

I see a thinly disguised veil of purpose: Was double-D size a requirement to get on the list ? Just wondering :P:P

No...but it did help to get you on the list. :)

:) (Whistles) :)

Please check out this post by Sangiro. In part:

If you have a copy of this list, please note: The Dropzone.com Drunk Dial List remains the property of this site. NOBODY has permission to share the phone numbers on that list with anyone outside the context of this site, and that has now been stopped. Please respect the fact that the people on there value their privacy, and an entrusted us to be the guardians of that.

As the owner of a small software company, I am as sympathetic to Licensing, Copy write and intellectual property issues as anyone, However I do take issue with someone (ANYONE) saying that MY PHONE NUMBER and a List of my friends phone numbers was "Their Property".

I love this site, I love what Sangiro has done with it and I am thankful for the his vision and guidance that that made this site what it is.. But the DD List was around long before Sangiro gave us a place to host it. Now that he is no longer hosting it, that list belongs to the people on that list.

mate, how can that slip!? whatever friday nights, skies fell down, the russians invaded, that-should-not-happen! :|

Alot of things shouldn't happen. ANYTHING can happen once. It's what is done afterwards to prevent it or things like it from happening again that counts. :)
Did they get caught with their pants down? Yes. Are they still running around with their pants down? Sure doesn't seem like it. :)

I love this site, I love what Sangiro has done with it and I am thankful for the his vision and guidance that that made this site what it is.. But the DD List was around long before Sangiro gave us a place to host it. Now that he is no longer hosting it, that list belongs to the people on that list.

Let me interject a small bit of history here since it is not known to all. The DD list started among a few people who are still here and some who are not, most of the mods from then and several close friends/ users on DZ.com. This stems back when people on DZ.com actually knew one another and skydived with each other. HH is one of the first people to be on the then private DD list and was there when "we" collectively decided that it should actually be a "list" since we all had pieces of it on our phones back then.

HH gave us a place to host it and it eventually spiraled out of control and morphed into something it was never intended to be. With that said, the list originated on and is the property of this site and it should be treated that way since it is intended that the information on the list not be disseminated without permission from those who are on it. You wouldn't want any more of your personal information than is already out there floating around without your knowledge and or consent. Part of being on the DD list was the understanding and agreement that the information contained on it was personal and not for those not on the list. Some people have obviously forgotten that part and or don't care that their information is floating around out there, other the other hand, some people do care. Again, HH is trying to look out for the best interest of those on the list.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hmmm...

:)

I promise I will be a total angel:):):)

I LOVE it when you wear that outfit!:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I still fail to see exactly when a Private list of Phone Numbers of Skydivers that knew each other and would randomly call each other at times became the property of Dropzone.com?

I am not disagreeing with most of what you are saying. That list should be respected and treated with the spirit that it was created with. It should not be given to ANYONE that is not on the list. If the list is to now exist on another site, everyone on that list should be given the opportunity to remove themselves from the list.

The attitude that that list is Dropzone.Com property is disturbing especially now that site has been sold to a corporation. That list belongs to the people on that list and noone else.

it eventually spiraled out of control and morphed into something it was never intended to be.

Very true. However rather than try and change it to fit with the new direction so it could expand and grow, the attitude from "management" was simply it needed to go away. The "no list" model was offered here first but they chose to pass and said it would be deleted at some point.

Is this the same dz.com it was a few years ago? No. Is skydiving the same it was a few years ago? No. Is the world the same it was a few years ago? No.

You either adapt, change, get things changed or you get left behind and eventually die. The DD list is a perfect example of this. [:/]

I think we are all on the same page. The "list" was Dropzone.com property aspect that the list was not to be shared with people outside the list and Sangiro took some steps to limit access to the list and discouraged its distribution.

I honestly don't know why I am even having this argument. People see conspiracy theories and plots where there are none. :S

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

it eventually spiraled out of control and morphed into something it was never intended to be.

Very true. However rather than try and change it to fit with the new direction so it could expand and grow, the attitude from "management" was simply it needed to go away. The "no list" model was offered here first but they chose to pass and said it would be deleted at some point.

Is this the same dz.com it was a few years ago? No. Is skydiving the same it was a few years ago? No. Is the world the same it was a few years ago? No.

You either adapt, change, get things changed or you get left behind and eventually die. The DD list is a perfect example of this. [:/]

So . . . someone just take up the list as it was before the forum and the almighty dizzy dot com took over and tried to control it. I believe KRIS was the keeper of the list then and I'm sure someone like Yoshi who is so bored at work could manage to input and update the list.

Not singling Yoshi out, just happened to pull his name out as an example, and only an example.

Sometimes it is just best to revert to the old ways.

Thanatos340 is correct though, not that there is anything we can do about it, but the list doesn't belong to DZ.COM, or rather it shouldn't. What we can do about that is either a costly law suit or . . . build a bridge.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I still fail to see exactly when a Private list of Phone Numbers of Skydivers that knew each other and would randomly call each other at times became the property of Dropzone.com?

I think you are missing the point in all of this. In part, I think it is due to the piss poor management and bastardization of the pre-reqs to be added to the list that lead it to this point where the spirit of the list has been lost in the noise. Think of it as your personal contact list on your phone and or computer. The people on it are there for a reason and just as most people don't like others to give out their number without asking first, the DD list was very much the same and that was the
understanding and agreement when a person had their name added to the DZ.com DD list. It wasn't "joes" DD list, it was the DZ.com DD list and you couldn't get on it any other way than to do it through DZ.com. The little "c" with circle around it on the bottom of the web page(s) along with the TOS make it the property of DZ.com. That may not make some people happy but its the fact of the matter.Again, the only reason this is being mentioned is in looking out for the best interest of the people already on the DD list who weren't even given a chance to agree/disagree with their information to be moved/shared/transfered to a completely different web site,not to mention that the person moving it has no authority to do so.

The whole intent is/was to keep peoples info as private as possible, and despite the sites sale, it is still the intent .
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

not to mention that the person moving it has no authority to do so.

So had I waited until the day the list and forum was actually scheduled to be deleted would the list just have been deleted and the current members at the time still not be allowed to have their own personal copies?

To me, it's a distributorship vs. ownership issue. I think we're in agreement about distributorship. :)
I'll agree it was managed poorly, however that reflects on ALL levels of management.

I think it is due to the piss poor management and bastardization of the pre-reqs to be added to the list that lead it to this point where the spirit of the list has been lost in the noise.

I agree with you 100% on that.

Again, the only reason this is being mentioned is in looking out for the best interest of the people already on the DD list who weren't even given a chance to agree/disagree with their information to be moved/shared/transfered to a completely different web site,not to mention that the person moving it has no authority to do so.

Again, We agree. I have already PMed Bolas and expressed my opinion. Everyone on the list should have to agree to remain on the List if it is going to be hosted elsewhere.

No one should have their information posted on another site if they did not expressly consent to allow it to be there.

Also Hopefully much tighter guidelines for inclusion should be considered for the next Incarnation of the list. Not everyone belongs on that list regardless of Number of Posts and time on Forums.

So had I waited until the day the list and forum was actually scheduled to be deleted would the list just have been deleted and the current members at the time still not be allowed to have their own personal copies?

Only reason the forum was removed is because you decided that you wanted to make changes to how it was set up. Prior to your "announcement" the entire forum was so low on the radar of current projects that it was going to remain in operation for an indefinite amount of time.

Did you even bother to contact the current management of the site to see what their current plans were for the list? Did you ask Jay directly if any of the "improvements" you wanted to make were in the scope of what the CMS on here could be modified to do? Did you find out where any improvements to the list were going to fit into the newly reworked project list that Jay is compiling?

It seems to me that you just did your own thing as "keeper of the list" and then posted it with out talking to anyone to see what the current status or thoughts were about it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

the entire forum was so low on the radar of current projects that it was going to remain in operation for an indefinite amount of time.

And that was part of the problem. It was just going to be allowed to wither and die slowly. Do you publicly promote a product with an unknown future?

Did you even bother to contact the current management of the site to see what their current plans were for the list?

Analogy: Your management tells you they are going to lay you off but doesn't say when. Do you press for details and updates before you have other options? At that point it is up to them to contact you if there plans change.

Did you ask Jay directly if any of the "improvements" you wanted to make were in the scope of what the CMS on here could be modified to do? Did you find out where any improvements to the list were going to fit into the newly reworked project list that Jay is compiling?

No. See above.

It seems to me that you just did your own thing as "keeper of the list" and then posted it with out talking to anyone to see what the current status or thoughts were about it.

Did I consult management about it after the spring? No.

Did I talk to some of my "customers?" Yes.

I'm not trying to defend my decision, merely explain it. :)