CanuckInUSA

My 17 year old cat died this morning

My 17 year old cat (who has been with me since 1993) woke me up at 6:00 am with cries of help and within minutes I watched her die. This is obviously upsetting to me. I loved her dearly and she was a good cat and a great friend. But it is also something that was expected to happen sooner or later (she was 17) and I guess I can do more traveling now that I don't have to be close to home to care for her.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Scratchy. :(

Fly free to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet kitty! I hope my darling Sydney Lynn and McGarrett are there to greet you and show you the ropes of chasing butterflies and taking naps in the sunshine!

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Hugs to you and your family!
xoxo

Always be kinder than you feel.

Very sorry to read of your loss. Maybe she wasn't crying for help, but waking you up because she knew she had to go and let you know she was leaving.

Animals are intuitive like that you know.

I have been very fortunate to have great companions, mostly dogs, a few cats (one cat now)...a very good compliment to one's life in my opinion.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I have had one of my cats die in my arms, although in a much more traumatic fashion, but I understand how you feel. I wish I could have been there for my first cat, Blacky, who came into my life in 1976 and was a great companion to me until I left for college in 1986. He got sick during my 2nd year. Parents went out to dinner, came home, saw him laying on the floor, still breathing. Dad picked him up and cradled him in his arms, and minutes later he was gone. That was hard on me, not being there.

Yours had a full life. Beautiful cat.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That sucks sorry to hear it. like others said at least you were with her, and didn't have to make the hard choice of putting her down. This brought a tear to my eye cause my German Shepherd is getting to that point he is 13 this Jan. I hope he goes like your cat did at home with me. RIP for your buddy. :(

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I just lost my Maine Coon, Max, to cancer this past week. He's that cat that actually turned me into a cat person.[:/]

17 years is a fantastic run for a cat and I'm sure you two had lots of good times.:)

Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I'm very sorry to hear that.

It's hard to lose a long-time companion like that. I know that the good wishes from the folks here were a lot of help for me back in '04 when we lost our almost 20-year old Bugs, I hope the good wishes on this thread are of some comfort to you as well.